Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Pigheads prediction:
    Berbatov to finish season with 19 goals
    Keane to finish season with 8 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Suppose it also depends on what you are looking for. I'd have picked berbatov - but United don't need a poorer version of Rooney or Tevez so there'd be no point in buying Keane. Liverpool needed that type of player to play off Torres so Keane makes sense for them I suppose.

Also, I think Berbatov made Keane more than the other way round

Look at the stats on ESPN Soccernet - though they may be wrong.

06/07

Keane Goals: 22 Assists 6
    Berbatov Goals: 22 Assists 15

07/08

Keane Goals: 19 Assists 8
    Berbatov Goals:22 Assists 13

I actually find those stats surprising... I would have though Keane to be more creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Pighead wrote: »
    Pigheads prediction:
    Berbatov to finish season with 19 goals
    Keane to finish season with 8 goals.

Its hard to tell before you've seen Berbatov in a Utd shirt but I would think maybe in all competitions goals scored might be something like

Berbatov to finish season with 25 goals
    Keane to finish season with 15 goals.

Thats not to decide who is better but I think Berbatov will be a focal point for Utd attack while Keane will wander about a bit. If Utd win the league and come close to or retain the CL then Berba is good value even at 30+ mil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Keane for £20m is a hell of a lot better value than Berbatov for £30.75m!

Bahahahahaha you've outdone yourself with that one Al.

Keane isn't even worth £10 million.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Bahahahahaha you've outdone yourself with that one Al.

Keane isn't even worth £10 million.

Is Berbatov worth 30million though? He is comparing relative values, not what they were realistically worth (though a player is worth what a club will buy/sell him for)

Tauren wrote: »
    Is Berbatov worth 30million though? He is comparing relative values, not what they were realistically worth (though a player is worth what a club will buy/sell him for)

I can understand why United paid £30 million for Berbatov.

I cannot understand why Liverpool payed £20 million for Keane.

There's no comparison between the two in terms of ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Also, I think Berbatov made Keane more than the other way round (Keane was second choice to Mido previously...)

wasnt Keane Spurs player of the year the year before Berba arrived? pretty sure he was.....

And Xavi, i agree 20m is overpriced, i'd have valued him around 15m, but Andy Johnson was sold for about 13m,Bent for 16m,Crouch for 11m (with 1 yr left) etc etc, Keane had scored around 20goals every year for the last 3 years and the club didnt wanna sell.

I can understand why United paid £30 million for Berbatov.

I cannot understand why Liverpool payed £20 million for Keane.

I would agree that Berbatov is a better player, but I would say Liverpool did need to sign another forward, one who could effectively play off Torres. I reckon Keane will be able to do that so i can understand why they signed him. 20million was too much for him, but off the top of my head I can't think of many other 'in the hole' forwards that would have been available for less. And Keane's scoring record is ok - 15 to 20 goals a season regularly - neither Tevez nor Rooney scored more than that last season, though i would say their alround play puts them in a different league to Keane.

But Liverpool won't play him 'in the hole' which makes it a stupid buy.

They play with Gerrard in behind Torres and two wingers either side. No place for Keane, unless he gets stuck out wide right. And look how that's gone so far.....

but there is a very plausible comparrison between the two when it comes to wat they do on the field.

i understand Berba is more stylish and wears an alice band and nice gloves and is arrogant on the pitch,which you probably love but the simple fact is Keane out scored him the calender year previous (jan-jan,pretty sure i remember reading Keane scored more goals in that period than anyone, incl C.Ronaldo) and pretty much matched him the whole time they were both at Spurs, as well as doing it before Berba went to spurs.

any other beef you have with him is your own business. but to say the two are not comparable is laughable.

• Advertisement

i understand Berba is more stylish and wears an alice band and nice gloves and is arrogant on the pitch,which you probably love.

give me a break :rolleyes:

Yes that is what we love. :p

i wasnt talking to you, i was talking to xavi :) he's all about style over substance ;)

For direct involvement in goal - Berbatov trounces Keane for the last two seasons (goals and assists)

Keane: 55
    Berbatov: 72

And that is just as relevant as Keane scoring more than anyone (!!) in a calendar year.

i wasnt talking to you, i was talking to xavi :) he's all about style over substance ;)

no worries, I thought you meant you (Utd fans). city are all about the style these days. :D

in fairness i aint talking about assists :( and i did say that i do rate Berbatov higher than i rate Keane, although not as much as some people around here.

Anyway - this is getting into 'new topic' territory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

But Liverpool won't play him 'in the hole' which makes it a stupid buy.

They play with Gerrard in behind Torres and two wingers either side. No place for Keane, unless he gets stuck out wide right. And look how that's gone so far.....

Keane has played in the hole for every game except one so far. However, when everyone is fit, I dont know where he will play. I actually think it was a strange signing from Benitez. We needed someone to play wide right to replace Kuyt, instead, we got Keane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Defoe for £7m was the real bargain. I think Defoe could of done the same job as Keane for you.

Hopefully it's Berbatime on Saturday although rumours suggest he won't be starting.

its BABEL-time,and was since he moved from Ajax.

can Utd fans ever come up with anything original?

****ing doubt it

• Advertisement

****ing doubt it

Not sure what you are talking about. Is this a response to some other post :confused:

****ing doubt it

Berba-time is from the Spurs fans. Also, i think there was a lad, MC Hammer i think his name was - he had a song out years back where he said STOP - HAMMER TIME. I think that is what the Babel thing is based on, can liverpool fans come up with anything original?

****ing doubt it

Sure you stole your club song too....

from a musical.

****ing doubt it

Has it being? You could of fooled me.... How come your not going over to the game anyway Mr Alan since your so die hard Liverpool.

:) ouch, you pair ar fiesty, i like that :cool:

Tauren; true enough Liverpool fans have adapted it from the original MC Hammer tune, but they were the first to arrange to be about a footballer, if i am mistaken and spurs did then my apologies. never heard or saw any mention of Berbatime while he was at spurs though. anyway its not a big deal, just a little annoying that ye never rarely come up with original tunes (and i mean in a football sense,obviously the original melodies are from well known songs) and instead just take ours in the main.

ps: nothing wrong with musicals ;) although didnt you swear blind to me that we stole it from yous? ;) ha ha

and Rasta;not going because the spares i usually take when i go over, or packages i occassionally grab are a little more difficult to come across for the Utd game. not a big deal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

RasTa wrote: »
    How come your not going over to the game anyway Mr Alan since your so die hard Liverpool.

I love it when people throw that in the faces of Liverpool fans :D

just a little annoying that ye never rarely come up with original tunes (and i mean in a football sense,obviously the original melodies are from well known songs) and instead just take ours in the main.

Original tunes take time to come up with which Liverpool fans tend to have after Christmas ;)

Not this year though, no siree. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Original tunes take time to come up with which Liverpool fans tend to have after Christmas ;)

thats actually funny :p

Shame the 70s and 80s disprove your theory though, but at least you made me smile

just a little annoying that ye never rarely come up with original tunes and instead just take ours in the main.

and Rasta;not going because the spares i usually take when i go over, or packages i occassionally grab are a little more difficult to come across for the Utd game. not a big deal.

Not a big deal?!!!, It's the highlight of the season for me. Although I can see why you might not want to go...

Anyway I can't think of any melodies we stole off you and sung about our own players.

Off the top of my head there's the 'Steve Gerrard' pisstake and 'You'll never get a job'.

:) ouch, you pair ar fiesty, i like that :cool:

Tauren; true enough Liverpool fans have adapted it from the original MC Hammer tune, but they were the first to arrange to be about a footballer, if i am mistaken and spurs did then my apologies. never heard or saw any mention of Berbatime while he was at spurs though. anyway its not a big deal, just a little annoying that ye never rarely come up with original tunes (and i mean in a football sense,obviously the original melodies are from well known songs) and instead just take ours in the main.

ps: nothing wrong with musicals ;) although didnt you swear blind to me that we stole it from yous? ;) ha ha

Haven't heard the Viva Ronaldo (John Terry tune) used before. The anderson song is fairly original. Haven't heard the Park one with a different players name. I'm sure there are many chants that share tunes - but the tunes are stolen from popular songs that people know so that they know the tune. Its the way it works - Fields of Anfield Road or whatever it is, is another example of a stolen song/tune - its the way football chants are created. I don't think any set of fans can lay claim to any chant really, unless it is shamelessly ripped off them by a rival set almost word for word (for a different player originally). I would actually say united have a great set of chants - just the day trippers like me don't know half of them!

i dont expect to walk up and get a ticket for the biggest/second biggest game of the year in Anfield, the lads who i get tickets off over there obviously give preference to scousers and family members over there for these games. as i said its not an issue for me-tis the way it should be.

as for stolen melodies, the get a job,gerrard one,tevez/o shea to the melody of the torres/st john tune,won it two times to the snoop john b tune....as i said, the only thing sadder than the lack of originality, is the obsession with us :)

Im opening up the book on how many people will be banned from this forum before Tuesday

0...10000/1
    1-3...10/1
    4-7...5/1
    7-10...2/1
    10+...Evs

• Advertisement

Not a big deal?!!!, It's the highlight of the season for me. Although I can see why you might not want to go...

Going to Anfield is the highlight of your season?

Haven't heard the Viva Ronaldo (John Terry tune) used before. The anderson song is fairly original. Haven't heard the Park one with a different players name. I'm sure there are many chants that share tunes - but the tunes are stolen from popular songs that people know so that they know the tune. Its the way it works - Fields of Anfield Road or whatever it is, is another example of a stolen song/tune - its the way football chants are created. I don't think any set of fans can lay claim to any chant really, unless it is shamelessly ripped off them by a rival set almost word for word (for a different player originally). I would actually say united have a great set of chants - just the day trippers like me don't know half of them!

Celtic did it with Nakamura before United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

COME ON UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

good input there carroller.

you know the game isnt actually on till sat yea?

Melion wrote: »
    Going to Anfield is the highlight of your season?

When we win yeah :p They are a sensitive bunch. Not going this weekend though, friggin hard to get an away ticket.

When we win yeah :p They are a sensitive bunch. Not going this weekend though, friggin hard to get an away ticket.

Obsessed much?

If its such a highlight why dont you go over for the weekend anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

4-1 to United. Berbatov hat trick, Vidic and Keane with the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Man U have turned into a serious bogey team for the pool. It's been such a long time since I've felt in any way confident that we'll score, let alone win, against Utd. Last season I thought we could really give as good as we got at OT. I know Mascherano being sent off didn't help but our play wasn't awe inspiring before that incident either. Solely because of this reason I predict 0-1 or 0-2. United will score then soak up all the pressure and then maybe nick a second on a counter attack in the dying minutes. I pray that Liverpool will win with a superb performance to make some doubters open their eyes and take notice, but it seems a wee bit off that now, esp since Torres and Gerrard may not be fit.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i think this one is very hard to judge......pool v utd games are never all that exciting are they?! they usually go out like to teams desperate not to lose instead of desperate to win, everyones on edge so the play is normally stiff with no real free flowing movement, i predict a stalemate, draw (maybe 1-1) or a 1-0 either way!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

4-1 to United. Berbatov hat trick, Vidic and Keane with the others.

Haha, would love that now! Very Very unlikely but ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Smegball wrote: »
    Haha, would love that now! Very Very unlikely but ;)

yeah true....keanes not gonna score!! :p

Hahaha, Vidic is due a goal in the league I think ;)
    Nani corner with Vidic towering up to smash the back of the net, sounds good:)

Don't tempt fate. ;)

I remember when Forlan scored twice against liverpool back in the day. figure of ridicule at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭rgiller

Man U have turned into a serious bogey team for the pool.

I like that. "Bogey team" is usually used to describe a statistically inferior team that should not win on paper but that do more times than expected, becuase of rivalry, home advantage, style of play or whatever. Typical deluded Pool supporter calling Utd a bogey team...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

rgiller wrote: »
    I like that. "Bogey team" is usually used to describe a statistically inferior team that should not win on paper but that do more times than expected, becuase of rivalry, home advantage, style of play or whatever. Typical deluded Pool supporter calling Utd a bogey team...

I don't agree that a bogey team would infer that they are inferior.
    Typical Utd fan trying to start a fight.:eek: :D

This is my preferred team, can't see it happening though, too attacking ,

............vds............
    brown..rio..vidic...evra..
    ....fletcher...scholes...
    ..tevez...rooney..nani..
    ......berbatov.....

Instead I see this being the lineup,

............vds............
    brown..rio..vidic...evra..
    ....anderson...scholes...
    fletcher....tevez...nani
    .........rooney........

What do you lads think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Any word on Carrick yet?

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Any word on Carrick yet?

I haven't heard anything anyways, I don't think he will start due to lack of fitness anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Im opening up the book on how many people will be banned from this forum before Tuesday

0...10000/1
    1-3...10/1
    4-7...5/1
    7-10...2/1
    10+...Evs

I'll take €20 on 0. Sick price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

0...10000/1
    1-3...10/1
    4-7...5/1
    7-10...2/1
    10+...Evs

I'll take 10 large on 10+ :) [Assuming of course my bans count]

Some funny stuff in this thread so far.

Out of us both getting screwed to the wall by Spurs, which one of us got screwed over least?
    OR
    Which one of us stole the song from the musical first?

[This list shall be updated as the thread goes on]

---

I'm excited :) Interested to see who Fergie puts out. I think our injury situation will result in a pretty bloody attacking team. However, Fergie doesn't like to bed in new players on big games if he can avoid it. However again, the Chelsea game is probably more important to United (and more difficult probably) so he might not want to bed Berbatov in there either.

Either way, Berbatov and Hargreaves were bought to play in games like this.

Advertisement