Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm expecting a big, big game from Mascherano. I trust him when he says he has learnt from Old Trafford last season (it was from interview with newstalk).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd imagine he won't get sent off if thats what you're saying. Otherwise, he'll be his usual excellent self. Since Ronaldo isn't as good, its going to be even tougher to get through the middle with Mascherano in there. Berbatov will need to win his battles with the Liverpool CBs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

It really is amazing how well Utd have done (result wise) against Liverpool over the past few years. Out of the last 12 league games played between the sides Man Utd have won 10, drew 1 and lost 1

Unreal, and that includes 5 wins and a draw in the last 6 matches at Anfield. For such a fierce rivalry thats some record for United.

PHB wrote: »
    I'd imagine he won't get sent off if thats what you're saying. Otherwise, he'll be his usual excellent self. Since Ronaldo isn't as good, its going to be even tougher to get through the middle with Mascherano in there. Berbatov will need to win his battles with the Liverpool CBs.

In a volatile game like this, if he hasn't learned, I fear he'll be at risk. Especially if he gets a yellow early (like he did at Old Trafford).

The defence was run ragged by Berbatov and Keane in the 2-2 draw at Anfield last season. However with Skrtel in instead of Hyypia I am encouraged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Pighead wrote: »
    It really is amazing how well Utd have done (result wise) against Liverpool over the past few years. Out of the last 12 league games played between the sides Man Utd have won 10, drew 1 and lost 1

Unreal, and that includes 5 wins and a draw in the last 6 matches at Anfield. For such a fierce rivalry thats some record for United.

Fergie has the better of Rafa tactically. That statement is so ludicrous for somebody like Fergie, who never has the better of anyone tactically. But he has it of Rafa. The amount of times we've beaten them in tactical victories of those 12 is just silly.

I'm hoping for a slightly more open game though, but without Torres and Gerrard, I can't see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    as for stolen melodies, the get a job,gerrard one,tevez/o shea to the melody of the torres/st john tune,won it two times to the snoop john b tune....as i said, the only thing sadder than the lack of originality, is the obsession with us :)

actually i can remember the o'shea one being sang before ye even signed torres..
    and i also think for the gerrard one seen as we're singing about yer player it makes it more annoying to the opposition supporters to sing a song to a tune they usually use..

on the match..i think we should win if torres and gerard are missing we should win, torres gone is going to make a big difference because he is such a huge threat..
    i'd love to see berbatov start but i don't think he will but hopefully we'll see him at somestage throughout the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Apologies, i'm sure it's been mentioned already, but is Hargreaves available for this match or has that knee injury still kept him sidelined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Harpy wrote: »
    actually i can remember the o'shea one being sang before ye even signed torres..

I think that one was adapted from an old Liverpool one from years ago hence Mr Alan referencing St John. As in Ian St John from the Pool team of the 60's.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Stolen songs- Boo frickin Hoo. Awww try not to whinge anymore about it. I'd be more concerned at losing more points to man u than songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Id love nothing more than Keano to score early on, 'pool defend for most of the match, with passes going to berbatov, that arnt on a six pence, and berbatov starts throwing a hissy fit. And Liverpool win 1-0. Oh how id love that....:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Keep dreaming ;) Keane's not gonna score this season :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Melion wrote: »
    Obsessed much?

If its such a highlight why dont you go over for the weekend anyway?

Going to Stockholm to ogle Swedish ladies instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

RasTa wrote: »
    Going to Stockholm to ogle Swedish ladies instead.

If you don't bring us back pics then it never happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

4-1 to United. Berbatov hat trick, Vidic and Keane with the others.

There is no way Vidic is gonna score an OG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

PHB wrote: »
    but without Torres and Gerrard, I can't see it.

Is anyone else really doubtful that these two will not be fit?
    I reckon one of them will start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

hussey wrote: »

Torres will def start me thinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

hussey wrote: »

Official word all along has been that while there is doubt surrounding both, they are hopeful over Torres, but less hopeful over Gerrard (and he has told the media that he doesnt think he'll be ready).

If Torres and Gerrard are both fit enough to start, then I'd pretty confident in predicting that Keane will be on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If you don't bring us back pics then it never happened

I'll try, I'm sure they have some sort of beautiful peoples club's over there.

2951.729.487.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

CyberWaste wrote: »
    'pool defend for most of the match,

You'll get that part of your wish I'd say. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Utd should win, but you never know with these matches. Could be a moment of lunacy or a dodgy decision that decides it. That said, if Liverpool are without Gerrard or Torres I can't see them scoring. United, on the other hand, have matchwinners all over the pitch. But, as I said, it's one of these matches...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

First time I fancy United in 4 years at Anfield so they'll probably lose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i was thinking the same, first time i dont fancy our chances in quite a while so we'll probably win :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Utd should win, but you never know with these matches. Could be a moment of lunacy or a dodgy decision that decides it. That said, if Liverpool are without Gerrard or Torres I can't see them scoring. United, on the other hand, have matchwinners all over the pitch. But, as I said, it's one of these matches...

well in keane we have a ready made replacement for whoever of torres or gerrard doesnt play

and i dont think on current form that united have 'match winners' all over the park!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Cyrus wrote: »
    well in keane we have a ready made replacement for whoever of torres or gerrard doesnt play

and i dont think on current form that united have 'match winners' all over the park!

ah they do :D

it'll probably be a borefest, and it'll test Liverpool's title credentials, too. Wonder what the odds on JOSH popping up to score an injury-time winner are? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

RasTa wrote: »
    I'll try, I'm sure they have some sort of beautiful peoples club's over there.

2951.729.487.jpg

Was over in Stockholm and Copenhagen two weeks ago myself.. The ladies are off the ****ing chain!

ah they do :D

it'll probably be a borefest, and it'll test Liverpool's title credentials, too. Wonder what the odds on JOSH popping up to score an injury-time winner are? :p

:rolleyes::p

Robbie Keane has to be a contender for quote of the week. "I'm surprised John O' Shea doesn't play for Man U every week." Ha ha, good one Robbie!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

LZ5by5 wrote: »

Robbie Keane has to be a contender for quote of the week. "I'm surprised John O' Shea doesn't play for Man U every week." Ha ha, good one Robbie!:D

Are you sure he didn't say "I'm disappointed John O' Shea doesn't play for Man Utd every week". Saying that he did alright for Ireland the other night, i.e. didn't fcuk up overly much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭slingerz

LZ5by5 wrote: »

to was a response to fergie saying he wasnt worth £20m

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Are you sure he didn't say "I'm disappointed John O' Shea doesn't play for Man Utd every week". Saying that he did alright for Ireland the other night, i.e. didn't fcuk up overly much.

"I'm very surprised John O'Shea doesn't play for United every week," said Keane. "

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,1776_4125903,00.html

He's not quite at the levels of McShane in terms of calamity, but he can be a mistake waiting to happen. Every team has one, Hyypia is ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Okay, apart from "home" (for want of a better word) internationals what players from ManU and Pool were involved in internationals yesterday:

Hyypia Finland - 90 minutes
    Agger Denmark - 90 minutes
    Skrtel Slovakia - 90 minutes
    Dossena Italy - 90 minutes
    Benayoun Israel - 90 minutes

Lucas Brazil - 60 minutes
    Kuyt Holland - last 20 minutes
    Alonso Spain - last 35 minutes

Reina and Babel were unused subs. Riera and Arbeloa were not in the Spanish squad, Mascherano was suspended.

Vidic Serbia - 90 minutes
    Nani Portugal - 88 minutes plus a goal

Evra had played the 90 for France at the weekend, but was dropped in favour of Clichy yesterday and remained an unused sub.
    Berbatov played 90 minutes for Bulgaria at the weekend, which should be a big boost to his fitness, but they had no midweek game.
    Tevez was suspended and Anderson was not part of the Brazil squad (injured, not picked, suspended???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Okay, apart from "home" (for want of a better word) internationals what players from ManU and Pool were involved in internationals yesterday:

Hyypia Finland - 90 minutes
    Agger Denmark - 90 minutes
    Skrtel Slovakia - 90 minutes
    Dossena Italy - 90 minutes
    Benayoun Israel - 90 minutes

Lucas Brazil - 60 minutes
    Kuyt Holland - last 20 minutes
    Alonso Spain - last 35 minutes

Reina and Babel were unused subs. Riera and Arbeloa were not in the Spanish squad, Mascherano was suspended.

Vidic Serbia - 90 minutes
    Nani Portugal - 88 minutes plus a goal

Evra had played the 90 for France at the weekend, but was dropped in favour of Clichy yesterday and remained an unused sub.
    Berbatov played 90 minutes for Bulgaria at the weekend, which should be a big boost to his fitness, but they had no midweek game.
    Tevez was suspended and Anderson was not part of the Brazil squad (injured, not picked, suspended???)

Anderson was withdrawn from the squad because of an injury, but there hasn't been any word on what the injury actually was, or if he will be out/fit for the game on saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Cyrus wrote: »

To name a few

Nani just scored on international break
    Rooney best game for England in a while, One goal and an assist,
    Throw in the goal machine that is Fletcher OR the goal poacher that make Liverpool shiver John O Shea

OH have I mentioned Tevez ,Berbatov , Scholes or even Giggs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Or Ferdinand ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    Rooney best game for England in a while, One goal and an assist,
    s

One goal ant Two assists.

• Advertisement

One goal ant Two assists.

Indeed, he was involved in all 4 goals. Masterclass for Rooney, would like to see it more often.

I think Rooney is the most over rated player around. decent game last night though.

Find it hilarious this "Utd have more match winners" ****e, surely the last few years show match winners mean **** all in these games with people like Silvestre,Brown,O'Shea providing the goals?!

I think Rooney is the most over rated player around. decent game last night though.

Find it hilarious this "Utd have more match winners" ****e, surely the last few years show match winners mean **** all in these games with people like Silvestre,Brown,O'Shea providing the goals?!

Well United have won the matches, so I guess they have more match winners. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Waster

I'm flying to the south of France on Sat and hope to catch the end of the match in a bar in Biarritz. Anybody know of a good one? Same for San Sebastian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Man Utd win, can't see Liverpool scoring, and Man Utd have a more goal threat

• Advertisement

Again, it is well documented that loads of people have been disappointed with him over the last two seasons, so how is he the most over-rated player around. If people were saying he has been world class over the last two years then yeah, but they haven't. People have said they feel he has an amazing selflessness on the pitch and that his workrate and determination are fantastic, but well, thats all true.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks, what did Fergie say about Keane earlier in the week? One of the RTE panel alluded to it last night.

said he was suprised 20m was paid for him.

Tauren, you are living under a stone if you dont think Rooney has been praised like made the last 2 years, he is recorded by most Utd fans and pundits as one of the top strikers in the world. nowhere near imo.

when he came on the scene i thought he would be, but thus far he has failed to deliver on his amazing potential over the last couple of seasons.

we agree with eachother so it aint an issue, but loads of people, incl boardsies here disagree with us both

Folks, what did Fergie say about Keane earlier in the week? One of the RTE panel alluded to it last night.

can't find the exact quote, but when he was asked if he was surprised by any transfer business this summer, he said he was surprised at Liverpool paying 20millioin for Keane.

when he came on the scene i thought he would be, but thus far he has failed to deliver on his amazing potential over the last couple of seasons.

Yeah is has certainly failed the last 2 seasons with him winning 2 Premier leagues and a champions league medal, not to mention United never looking the same when he doesn't play.

Bloody underachieving 22 year old. :rolleyes:

Tauren, you are living under a stone if you dont think Rooney has been praised like made the last 2 years, he is recorded by most Utd fans and pundits as one of the top strikers in the world. nowhere near imo.
    Really? I haven't seen that to be honest. United fans do praise him, cause despite his poorness in front of goal he is very important to United. Without him in the team we don't look as cohesive going forward, he makes us tick. But top striker? Nah - sure why would we have been crying out for a striker if that was the case? United fans see him as a very important player for us, but not for his striking abilities.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks folks.

I would have also said Rooney has underperformed in the last 2 seasons, if only by his own standards.

Boggles wrote: »
    Yeah is has certainly failed the last 2 seasons with him winning 2 Premier leagues and a champions league medal, not 2 mention United neverly looking the same when he doesn't play.

Bloody underachieving 22 year old. :rolleyes:

Traore has a CL medal - does that mean he has performed brilliantly?

Jeez Boggles - Rooney is important to us, but does that mean he is a fantastic striker? No - cause he doesn't score enough. Has he improved much in scoring goals over the last few years, no, cause he doesn't score enough. His play making abilites are great and important to United - we don't look the same without him - but I don't think there'll be many people who would say he has progressed as they imagined he would. Hell, even Fergie himself has said Rooney has not progressed as he would have liked, but blame himself for playing him out of position.

Tauren wrote: »
    Really? I haven't seen that to be honest. United fans do praise him, cause despite his poorness in front of goal he is very important to United. Without him in the team we don't look as cohesive going forward, he makes us tick. But top striker? Nah - sure why would we have been crying out for a striker if that was the case? United fans see him as a very important player for us, but not for his striking abilities.

exactly, i get that.

he's your Dirk Kuyt :D

exactly, i get that.

he's your Dirk Kuyt :D

Blatant trolling. Reporting that.

:mad:

;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement