Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kuyt:Ugly
    Rooney:Ugly
    Kuyt:All heart
    Rooney:All heart
    Kuyt:Not enough goals
    Rooney:Not enough goals
    Kuyt:Failed to live up to expectations
    Rooney:Failed to live up to expectations
    Kuyt:run all day,defend from the front
    Rooney:run all day,defend from the front
    Kuyt: played out of position
    Rooney: played out of position
    Kuyt:loved by manager
    Rooney:loved by manager
    Kuyt:singled out by team mates as vital to team
    Rooney:singled out by team mates as vital to team

Maybe they are brothers :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Hope Liverpool win this one. Will make the table interesting. Though I doubt they will if Torres and Gerrard are still injured.

worth noting when carra was on talksport last night, he was asked about Torres and Gerrard being possibly back, he laughed and said he wasnt giving anything away........fingers crossed ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Tauren wrote: »
    Jeez Boggles - Rooney is important to us, but does that mean he is a fantastic striker? No - cause he doesn't score enough. Has he improved much in scoring goals over the last few years, no, cause he doesn't score enough. His play making abilites are great and important to United - we don't look the same without him - but I don't think there'll be many people who would say he has progressed as they imagined he would. Hell, even Fergie himself has said Rooney has not progressed as he would have liked, but blame himself for playing him out of position.

His finishing is poor, but he has made up for it with his other attributes in the past 2 seasons, important to us? He is vital! Take a look at the matches where we where missing him last season.

One of the best traditional strikers in the world? No because he isn't played as a traditional striker, one of the most important players to a team in any league in the world yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Mr Alan wrote: »

You forgot
    Rooney: 41 goals over past two seasons.
    Kuyt: 25 goals over past two seasons.

jez pighead, you used to be fun :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

jez pighead, you used to be fun :(
    Fun? No.
    Stickler for the facts: Yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Personally, I think Rooney is one of the best players in the world. Is he the best striker in the world? It all depends on what you want a striker to do. For me, he is the first name on the United team sheet every single week, him or Ferdinand.

To measure his contribution in terms of goals or assists is stupid, it's like asking how many goals Roy Keane scored. Rooney is United's most important player, if you want evidence, just look at how we do when he doesn't play. We still hockied Arsenal without Ronaldo, but without Rooney we lose to City.
    Oh, and he still gets cost to 40+ goals/assists a year :rolleyes: This is when he is actually finishing badly and playing out of position for the entire year.

For me, anyone who doesn't rate Rooney as one of the best players in the world is either blinded by bias or doesn't understand football. Pretty intolerent attitude yep, but to be honest, I'm ok with it.

[That's not to say I don't think theres lots that can be improved on, and that he can be better player. But its just a movement from one of the best in the world [like say at least, least, the 3rd best player in the team that just won the League and Premiership] to the best in the world with the likes of Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Pesonally I think anyone who thinks Rooney is more important to United than Ronaldo is off their head.

For both club and country Ronaldo more often than not outperforms Rooney.

However, against Liverpool (seeing as its this thread!) Rooney generally creates more problems, even if its mainly down to him kicking lumps off the defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Pesonally I think anyone who thinks Rooney is more important to United than Ronaldo is off their head.

However, against Liverpool (seeing as its this thread!) Rooney generally creates more problems, even if its mainly down to him kicking lumps off the defenders.

well the funny thing is that your observation about Rooney against Pool largely holds the same for nearly every team they play. so that's why most think he's more important.

Ronaldo get's more goals, but he's a lot easier to nullify. the problem most teams have is that Rooney creates so much havok in the box that they find it difficult to effectively give over the personnel to stifle both, without sacrificing their shape. When Rooney plays the opposition defenders are largely pinned to their own box, which gives Ronaldo the freedom to take up the goal scoring positions. that's why he's more important to United.

One difference

Kuyt: scapegoated by idiot fans who dont recognise his overall contributions
    Rooney: punishable by death to speak badly of him!

kickin lumps out of those who are kickin lumps........

wrong by the way. Rooney is the engine of the team. Ronaldo is the flair. Without Ronaldo the team can still create goals. Without Rooney the team doesnt seem to have as much heart.

Rooney missin from Uniteds 1st 11 is for me the same as Gerrard missing from Liverpools.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Rooney missin from Uniteds 1st 11 is for me the same as Gerrard missing from Liverpools.

A lot of the time we play better without Gerrard, to be honest im not that dis-heartened that he's missing on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Melion wrote: »
    A lot of the time we play better without Gerrard, to be honest im not that dis-heartened that he's missing on Saturday.

Couldnt agree more. I'd be far more worried if Torres was missing Saturday. Gerrard has failed to turn up against Man U in the last few years for whatever reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

injury news from the physio room

Liverpool 4
    F Torres Hamstring Injury 13th Sep 08 very doubtful
    S Gerrard Gilmores Groin 13th Sep 08 very doubtful
    S Hyppia Hamstring Injury 23rd Sep 08
    P Degen Groin Strain 23rd Sep 08

Man u

Manchester United 5
    Anderson Knee Injury no return date very doubtful
    R Giggs Hamstring Injury 13th Sep 08 doubtful
    M Carrick Sprained Ankle 13th Sep 08 doubtful
    O Hargreaves Knee Injury 16th Sep 08
    C Ronaldo Os Trigonum Syndrome 21st Sep 08

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

wrong by the way. Rooney is the engine of the team. Ronaldo is the flair.
    There is so much more to Ronaldo's game than flair. I've always found it amazing how many mancs under-appreciate Ronaldo, and now after the season he's just had, its just mind boggling. But far be it from me to educate the red devil worshippers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Both sides have looked poor in the opening games, but I really can't see a Liverpool win. I think Man U's back 4 will take care of Torres (if playing) and Keane. Obviously without Ronaldo going forward UTD aren't the same, but Rooney's Goal and also Nani's couple of Goals during the week could mean that confidence is high. Add to that Tevez and Scholes and overall I think a draw is the most Liverpool could hope for. I think Liverpools chance, is if UTD are impotent, which they've looked since the start of the season. Either way, I predict Liverpool not to score, then its down to if Utd have a bit of potency back.

My 2 cent anyhoo. Here's to a good game.

EDIT: Completely forgot about berbatov. I'd say he'll start on the bench, but looking forward to seeing how he'll perform in the Utd team.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

I heard on the radio that Torres and Gerrard both trained with Liverpool today!!!

Mightn't be as easy a walkover as I was expecting!!! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Torres and Gerrard trained properly today according to liverpool's site. May play a part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

noodler wrote: »
    Torres and Gerrard trained properly today according to liverpool's site. May play a part?

If Anderson is out for utd, then Gerrard may for the first time in these games, gain control in midfield. Who else do Utd have apart from Scholes? I suppose Fletcher's had a good start, but dealing with Gerrard? Hmmmm....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

JimiTime wrote: »
    If Anderson is out for utd, then Gerrard may for the first time in these games, gain control in midfield. Who else do Utd have apart from Scholes? I suppose Fletcher's had a good start, but dealing with Gerrard? Hmmmm....

Fletcher wouldn't out perform Gerrard, but if he is detailed with hustling Gerrard and keeping him off his game, then I would have trust in Fletcher to do it - all action, high tempo is what Fletcher does - especially in big games against rivals. He is a hustle and bustle midfielder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Doh!
    Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres are both fit for Liverpool's huge clash with Manchester United at Anfield on Saturday lunchtime.

According to the club's official website both players completed a light training session at Melwood on Friday morning and have been included in the squad to take on Alex Ferguson's men.

More to follow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Boo-urns, they're fit to start :( *gritted teeth* Yay now we'll have a nice even game...

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/08/09/12/manual_133518.html

:pac:

The reds are coming up the hill boys,
    The reds are coming up the hill boys.
    They all laugh at us
    They all mock at us
    They all say our days are numbered.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just some more conformation!
    Liverpool have been handed a double boost with the news that Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres have been passed fit to face Manchester United.
    The influential duo were rated doubtful for the big clash at Anfield, which can be seen live on Sky Sports 1 and HD1 on Saturday.
    Spanish ace Torres has recovered from the hamstring strain he picked up in the goalless draw at Aston Villa, while Gerrard is back to fitness after groin surgery.
    Gerrard appeared to rule himself out of the Anfield showdown by claiming earlier this week he was unlikely to be fit, however the Reds skipper could now be in line for a shock return.
    The pair came through a light training session on Friday morning and they have been included in the squad to face Sir Alex Ferguson's Premier League and European champions.
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_4135259,00.html

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I hope this doesn't serve to get your hopes up lads ;) It'll make the inevitable defeat all the more difficult to take!

i am of course talking about Liverpool being defeated, in case someone decides to be a smart-arse :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

oh waht a shock - i'm just surprised they announced it so early. I thought it would 'rumoured' an hour or so before the team sheet was announced.

Who?

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Not sure if they'll be able to play 90 mins but it's great news all the same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

To be honest, I'm not really sure how to take the news. Rafa still hasn't imo found a decent way to get Torres, Gerrard and Keane working together, and hasn't really had a chance due to injuries, so if they are gona try once again another new system against United, I'm happy they haven't settled into it yet.

That said, Gerrard and Torres adds more of an attacking threat, so Ferdinand will need to be at the top of his game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Any chance ronnie will be back?

Looked very fit in the training today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Utd fans delighted as now every single corner is gerrards thus rendering any ****ing attack nigh on useless.

PHB wrote: »
    That said, Gerrard and Torres adds more of an attacking threat, so Ferdinand will need to be at the top of his game.

I hate Ferdinand but to be fair he is good at corners and like I just said. Gerrard sucks testicle hair when it comes to taking them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Utd fans delighted as now every single corner is gerrards thus rendering any ****ing attack nigh on useless.

A good chance Riera will take a few.
    It's a specialty of his, so I hope he'll get a shot.

As you said, Gerrards insistance on taking them is mind boggling!!!

A good chance Riera will take a few.

Fingers crossed.

I've never forget that game where John O Shea scored.
    Utd had like 3 corners and liverpool had 11 or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

ok im off on my flight to the match

I'll report back on Sun evening :)

Best of luck to the pool :D:D:D:D

2-0 to the pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i could see one or both gerrard and torres on the bench. depends how fit they are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Please god, let it be:

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Alonso
    Masch
    ----Gerard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

That'd definitely make the most sense to me, jtg.

The only question marks for me are the full-backs. Could Carra start at right back, or Dossena in at left-back?

• Advertisement

Please god, let it be:

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Alonso
    Masch
    ----Gerard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

It would be madness to play that formation against a free flowing attacking United, even at home.

If Gerrard is fit he will play along side Masch, Alonso will drop to the bench, Kuyt and Riera/Beny on the wings with Keane dropping deep behind Torres (If fit).

Couldn't even take a stab at the United formation let alone line up, rumour has it Carrick and Hargreaves are both fit. Will be interesting to see if Ferguson starts the 3 of Tevez, Berbatov and Rooney. (Even typing it makes me moist ;) )

Should be a good one thou, I'm going United 2-1 win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Boggles wrote: »
    It would be madness to play that formation against a free flowing attacking United, even at home.

If Gerrard is fit he will play along side Masch, Alonso will drop to the bench, Kuyt and Riera/Beny on the wings with Keane dropping deep behind Torres (If fit).

Couldn't even take a stab at the United formation let alone line up, rumour has it Carrick and Hargreaves are both fit. Will be interesting to see if Ferguson starts the 3 of Tevez, Berbatov and Rooney. (Even typing it makes me moist ;) )

Should be a good one thou, I'm going United 2-1 win.

Three goals? That's optimistic!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Please god, let it be:

Reina
    Arbeloa
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Aurelio
    Alonso
    Masch
    ----Gerard
    Keane
    Riera---
    Torres

No Kuyt...Not a chance. Would be nice mind you.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Three goals? That's optimistic!

Why? There was 3 scored in the last meeting. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Boggles wrote: »
    Why? There was 3 scored in the last meeting. ;)

Good point - I was assuming 22 players finishing the game and it being at Anfield.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

When's the last time United played free-flowing attacking football at Anfield?

• Advertisement

When's the last time United played free-flowing attacking football at Anfield?

That's my point, Rafa parks the bus against United.

Ah now, you make it sound like Man United lay seige to Liverpool goal for 90 minutes while Rafa lines out a 10-0-1 formation. The truth is that a kick of the ball or a deflection off an arse-cheek has decided these games over the past seasons - and that suggests that neither team are trying to play swashbuckling football.

In games between the big four, neither side plays free-flowing or attacking football to any great degree.

In games between the big four, neither side plays free-flowing or attacking football to any great degree.

You should tune in to the United v Arsenal matches, they are usually excellent. 2 free flowing teams playing football like it was ment to be played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

United got the two most recent wins at anfield and fair play to them but i must have missed the part where they attacked and attacked.

Draw i reckon with Masch hopefully to do his stuff and shut united down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

And ferguson to do his stuff prior to the game and have masch sent off ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement