Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Liverpool V Manchester United [All Pre/During/Post Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Lol, funny goings on with the subs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

why is berba playing off tevez

that doesnt make sense

berba was bought to hold up the ball

should'n it be the other way around ?

****ing disgrace how fergie treats Ronney by the way

feel very sorry for Ronney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

WOW keane is gonna play the full 90...............wonder will his system be able for it??
    Benitez was kinda funny there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Masch knock meant Rafa changed his mind, maybe Keane can score now.

Vidic gone shocker

Mike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,593 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

red now anyway, feckin hell. should have been straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Just caps it all,

A thoroughly shocking performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Hes off now!

stupid play by vidic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

This has not been a good day.

• Advertisement

Deserved to be booked for that.

Kuyt you knob.

kuyt another miss. don't like that

THERE IS A GOD!

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Great day for Liverpool FC. Enjoyed it so much, been a long time coming.

Reirra looked good, we were missing a player like him. Good performances all round. Woohoo!

Mr. X wrote: »
    Just caps it all,

A thoroughly shocking performance.

totally agree and its Alex Ferguson fault for the stupid formation

playing Ronney on the wings is stupid

for me Ronney should be on the subs

• Advertisement

good win for liverpool, but we could've ended up with only a point due to poor finishing. utd had a bad day and we didn't take enough advantage. weaker team on paper outplayed them by having a proper formation and game plan. Good win for Benitez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Tom65 wrote: »
    This has not been a good day.

What are you talking about? Its been a great day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

fair play to liverpool for getting their first goal against utd, in 4 and a half years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

It may be a bit premature, but United look like they have a little Barca syndrome, too many good players being played out of position for the sake of having them on the field.

Fairplay to Liverpool. Deserved in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

No, Giggs cost us the game. I wouldn't have put him on for Carrick. Hargreaves should have been on first.

Liverpool had everything going for them today and took their chances. They were due a win, and much as it pains me to say it, they deserved it today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Thank feck....that win has been a long time coming. United were awful in the second half, liverpool very strong in midfield, think kuyt was man of the match for me, the man just does not give up! Great running and link up play today by him. Good start for Riera too...glad he is now "used to " beating man united!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Brilliant! A lot of luck with the goals but no doubt the better team on the day won. That all being said we still have a way to go to be as good as United... but today who gives a flying fup! COME ON YOU REDS!

Reira looks very good btw. Any chance Babel could learn to play on the right? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

very interesting.

Webb nearly forgot to send Vidic off; he should have been off for the first offence though.

absolutely appalling game from United.

nice to see Liverpool play well for once and actually deserve their win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Well done to Liverpool.

There needs to be serious questions asked of united now, they did not want it as much as the pool and that is a crime.

We had one hell of a bad day at the office and i hope it can work to waking us up

i have one bitter comment to make

liverpool did have alot of ****in help from us in their goals and alot of ****in luck too didnt they!! giggs should be ashamed of himself for the second one and he still got lucky because the ball bounced off the ground and over the lads.

thats it bitterness done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

yes yes f**kin yes.

wonder how boggles is taking this.
    ah, no matter. we finally beat Utd in the league. hopefully we can do the same against chelski and the ar$e. step 1 completed. good performace and deserved imo.
    Utd were awful tbh. dunno wats up with them. was very fearful after tevez scored. ah well tho, shoulda known - in rafa we trust :D

Liverpool had everything going for them today and took their chances. today.

What does that even mean, they were missing Torres and Gerrard, who were basically their sole outlet for goals last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

SHOCKING SHOCKING PERFORMANCE!!

I cant possibly think of good thing to take from that.

VDS = SH!TE , time for retirement home, and I been one of his advocators
    RIO = Unfit, was poor
    VIDA = Unfit, and shocking fouls , rightly sent off.
    Evra = not right, ever since the knock he had didnt play right.
    Brown = seemed to have no interest whatsoever.
    Carrick = good till he went off injured, all to often now for this fella.
    Anderson = good first half, anonymous in 2nd half
    Scholes = alright first half , pretty poor second half
    Tevez= great start , but ffs, he runs and runs but after stupid balls, why run for balls their keeper has covered when he stands off other balls.
    Rooney= Completely played out of position, doesnt work where played.
    Berba = Offered nothing as he received nothing, only created chances he made himself.

We simply will not work with this formation, one of our top three is due for a chop when Ronnie comes back cause what had didnt work at all, too compact and too tight.

Lastly well done Pool, played really well, enjoy the win.

A very p!ssed off utd fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Shocking shocking shocking performance. United couldn't string two passes together in the second half. Resorted to long balls and no possession. We had no width, none whatsoever. But jesus christ lads, that passing was shocking. Fergie is rightly going to destroy them. Liverpool were there for the taking today, and we let them get that, shocking. But thats looking at it too simplistically.

I do laugh however. For all the stuff about Liverpool dominating, for most of the game, they couldn't create anything. Babel made a big difference when he came on in terms of creating, but before that, they pretty much made nothing. 4 real chances in the rest of the game, one from a set piece which Kuyt fluffed, one from shocking keeping from VDS, one from Mascheranos mis-hit which Keane shoulda scored, one from Giggs being an utter tool. Those 2 goals United gave away today were the definition of gifts. Shocking shocking stuff.

But this is what happens when you play for a smash and grab. You set yourself up defensively, and then when you can't work attackingly, everyone is surprised. If United hadn't made 2 absolutely shocking **** ups today, Liverpool wouldn't have scored. United would have won 1-0, and everyone would be applauding Fergie for a tactical victory. Liverpool fans would be saying that they dominated possession, United fans would point out that they didn't create ****e, and we took the one chance we had. But VDS and Giggs took it upon themselves to utterly throw the game in a shocking manner.

People are going to talk about how United aren't working, too many cooks, blah blah blah. People are going to try read loads into this game, can Tevez Berbatov and Rooney all play in the same team etc? Thats just a silly way to look at it. The fact of the matter is, this is how United play away against big teams, and it would have worked just fine if VDS and Giggs weren't idiots beyond belief.

Sure Rooney shouldn't have been playing on the right, but thats what happens when you set yourself up to defend, play someone like Rooney on the right. Its no surprise when he can't finish that chance at the end, since he's spent the whole game tackling and chasing back.

This was a failed 1-0 smash and grab for United, what we've done for 3 years against Liverpool. This time however, we ****ed it up bad.

Ah g'wan PHB, say well done Liverpool for not crumbling and pushing your lot back and winning the game. ah g'wan.

Mike.

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah g'wan PHB, say well done Liverpool for not crumbling and pushing your lot back and winning the game. ah g'wan.

Mike.

That's what they do. It's what they do every single time we play them. That's what so amusing to me. This game was pretty much identicial to every other time we've played Liverpool in the last 3 years. Only difference? Two ****s up. Liverpool played 'well', didn't create much, but played well. Saying well done would be like saying well done to them for the same performance they've put in for the past 3 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

PHB you just went down hugley in my estimation due to that post.

Opr

PHB wrote: »
    Shocking shocking shocking performance. United couldn't string two passes together in the second half. Resorted to long balls and no possession. We had no width, none whatsoever. But jesus christ lads, that passing was shocking. Fergie is rightly going to destroy them. Liverpool were there for the taking today, and we let them get that, shocking. But thats looking at it too simplistically.

I do laugh however. For all the stuff about Liverpool dominating, for most of the game, they couldn't create anything. Babel made a big difference when he came on in terms of creating, but before that, they pretty much made nothing. 4 real chances in the rest of the game, one from a set piece which Kuyt fluffed, one from shocking keeping from VDS, one from Mascheranos mis-hit which Keane shoulda scored, one from Giggs being an utter tool. Those 2 goals United gave away today were the definition of gifts. Shocking shocking stuff.

But this is what happens when you play for a smash and grab. You set yourself up defensively, and then when you can't work attackingly, everyone is surprised. If United hadn't made 2 absolutely shocking **** ups today, Liverpool wouldn't have scored. United would have won 1-0, and everyone would be applauding Fergie for a tactical victory. Liverpool fans would be saying that they dominated possession, United fans would point out that they didn't create ****e, and we took the one chance we had. But VDS and Giggs took it upon themselves to utterly throw the game in a shocking manner.

People are going to talk about how United aren't working, too many cooks, blah blah blah. People are going to try read loads into this game, can Tevez Berbatov and Rooney all play in the same team etc? Thats just a silly way to look at it. The fact of the matter is, this is how United play away against big teams, and it would have worked just fine if VDS and Giggs weren't idiots beyond belief.

Sure Rooney shouldn't have been playing on the right, but thats what happens when you set yourself up to defend, play someone like Rooney on the right. Its no surprise when he can't finish that chance at the end, since he's spent the whole game tackling and chasing back.

This was a failed 1-0 smash and grab for United, what we've done for 3 years against Liverpool. This time however, we ****ed it up bad.

Man Utd's goal was just as much of a defensive **** up as Liverpool's second if you ask me, Mascherano's brain stopped functioning for a second.

.....well done ....

Cheers.

You must not have been watching when Kyut missed that sitter at the end. You say IF Giggs and VDS hadn't messed up United would have won 1-0... well IF Keane and Kyut hadn't both missed sitters we're talking about a 4-1 hammering!!!

Masch was immense today btw. At fault for the goal but my god he did more running than Kyut which is hard to do. And I love those driving runs... he should do that more! God i can;t stop smiling!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

eZe^ wrote: »
    What does that even mean, they were missing Torres and Gerrard, who were basically their sole outlet for goals last season.

OK maybe I overstated it a bit. But they outplayed us in midfield especially, they got the majority of 50/50 tackles, seemed to get the bounce of the ball, were given a Brown own goal and Giggs mistake gave them the chance to score.

We were only lucky that they their chances fell to Kuyt and Robbie Keane who still plays like he has a hole in his foot, I'm thinking about that chance from Mascherano. As a United supporter I hope he'll be as successful at Anfield as Peter Davenport and Gary Birtles were at Old Trafford! :p

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I don't think the result is that significant for United because PHB rightly says, United haven't really played well in this fixture recently. However for Liverpool, this is a serious boost for them.

I thought Carrick going off injured was crucial, once he went off United couldn't pass water and Liverpool completely took over.

opr wrote: »
    PHB you just went down hugley in my estimation due to that post.

Opr

I'll have to live with your disappointment
    eZe^ wrote: »
    Man Utd's goal was just as much of a defensive **** up as Liverpool's second if you ask me, Mascherano's brain stopped functioning for a second.

Absolutely. I'm not suggesting otherwise.
    Pyjamarama wrote: »
    You must not have been watching when Kyut missed that sitter at the end. You say IF Giggs and VDS hadn't messed up United would have won 1-0... well IF Keane and Kyut hadn't both missed sitters we're talking about a 4-1 hammering!!!

My post was unclear sorry, I was talking about before Babel came on. Totally, Kuyt and Keane should have put Liverpool ahead. I'm not bitter against the win. Liverpool are always the 'better' team, and 'deserve' the win. But it never occurs. Keane/Kuyt/Cisse/Morientes always miss a sitter.

My point is that this game was identical, identical, to Uniteds last 3 games at Anfield where we won 1-0. Got one goal. Defended. Liverpool dominated without creating much. Only difference, 2 utter **** ups.
    However for Liverpool, this is a serious boost for them.

Absolutely. They are already 6 points ahead of United (albeit with a game in hand), and could well be 9 by the end of next week. They have a point advantage over Arsenal. Amazingly, and this is going to make Liverpool fans sick, they will be cheering for United next week against Chelsea, because it'll put them clear at the top :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

That's what they do. It's what they do every single time we play them. That's what so amusing to me. This game was pretty much identicial to every other time we've played Liverpool in the last 3 years. Only difference? Two ****s up. Liverpool played 'well', didn't create much, but played well. Saying well done would be like saying well done to them for the same performance they've put in for the past 3 years.

The air is thick with bitterness.
    After reading this forum for the last 2 years I am surprised to see comments like this.

hate to say it but fair play to liverpool

i taught keane played great in the sense that he was after rio and vidic when ever they got on the ball

he was pressing them every minute

• Advertisement

Well done Liverpool, deserved their win. No complaints from me. One observation though, they still didnt create many chances though which id be worried about if i were a Liverpool fan.

United - that was the worst performance Ive seen since THAT City game with Goater or the City game last season.

VDS should be dropped after the start to the season he's had. Giggs coming on was a joke, I was screaming at the screen for Hargreaves at half time, I knew it would happen, without Carrick we had nobody to win the ball.

What giggs was doing Ill never know.

I thought Webb was crap today on both sides. Vidic should have gone for the 1st offence, he nearly forgot to send him off for the second, Mascherano should have been booked for the dive (which was right in front of Webb) but instead Nani was, Skrtyls handball, Gerrard should have been booked at the end..............whatever ....it made no difference to the result but a poor standard nonetheless.

Sell Fergie, sack Giggs!

Seriously though, United need to get the fckin finger out this season. I hope fergie absolutely tears into them for that ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

God I love Ryan Babel!

Hey Alan, want to go on a double date?
    Me and Babel, and you and Torres?!!

:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

My post was unclear sorry, I was talking about before Babel came on. Totally, Kuyt and Keane should have put Liverpool ahead. I'm not bitter against the win. Liverpool are always the 'better' team, and 'deserve' the win. But it never occurs. Keane/Kuyt/Cisse/Morientes always miss a sitter.

My point is that this game was identical, identical, to Uniteds last 3 games at Anfield where we won 1-0. Got one goal. Defended. Liverpool dominated without creating much. Only difference, 2 utter **** ups.

I take it your brain is not fuctioning correctly after the game cause this has to be some of the most illoigical tosh i have ever read.

Opr

God I love Ryan Babel!

Hey Alan, want to go on a double date?
    Me and Babel, and you and Torres?!!

:D:D:D

Indeed. Babel was absolutely unreal when he came on, tore Brown to pieces.

Well done Liverpool, deserved their win. No complaints from me. One observation though, they still didnt create many chances though which id be worried about if i were a Liverpool fan.

United - that was the worst performance Ive seen since THAT City game with Goater or the City game last season.

VDS should be dropped after the start to the season he's had. Giggs coming on was a joke, I was screaming at the screen for Hargreaves at half time, I knew it would happen, without Carrick we had nobody to win the ball.

What giggs was doing Ill never know.

I thought Webb was crap today on both sides. Vidic should have gone for the 1st offence, he nearly forgot to send him off for the second, Mascherano should have been booked for the dive (which was right in front of Webb) but instead Nani was, Skrtyls handball, Gerrard should have been booked at the end..............whatever ....it made no difference to the result but a poor standard nonetheless.

Sell Fergie, sack Giggs!

Seriously though, United need to get the fckin finger out this season. I hope fergie absolutely tears into them for that ****e.

People talk about how we didn't create enough chances we had something like 13 shots, I'll take that against the best defence in Europe without our two best players every time! :D Oh and i'll take the 2-1 everytime aswell!

I take it your brain is not fuctioning correctly after the game cause this has to be some of the most illoigical tosh i have ever read.

Opr
    The air is thick with bitterness.
    After reading this forum for the last 2 years I am surprised to see comments like this.

Very simple question:

Did Liverpool play better today than they have in the last 2 years at Anfield vs. United?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I do laugh however. For all the stuff about Liverpool dominating, for most of the game, they couldn't create anything.

nah, that's plop. they created more than enough chances to win that game, their let down was, as usual, their finishing.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

God I can;t stop smiling!!! biggrin.gif:D:D:D

nah, that's plop. they created more than enough chances to win that game, their let down was, as usual, their finishing.

Maybe. I personally think its because most of their chances were half chances, people say Keane shoulda scored with that Mascherano shot across the box, but thats really a half chance.

Very simple question:

Did Liverpool play better today than they have in the last 2 years at Anfield vs. United?

Yep, we hounded United which meant they couldn't just stroke the ball around all game like they did the last two times. Lets give Masch credit for the second goal, Giggs should have put it out but Masch still had no right to get that.

Fair dues to Fergie. He's giving credit where it's due. Although no he's saying that the Ref favoured Pool... he didn't see the sending off either... ARE YOU WENGER IN DISGUISE! :D

Very simple question:

TBH, I find your arguement laughable.

Utd were shocking today. Liverpool were the better side by a margin, to say that Utd won the games previously under similar circumstances doesn't count for jack.

• Advertisement
Advertisement