Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tensnake - Creative sampler or rip-off scumbag?

• 08-09-2008 3:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭

I've often heard people giving out about heavy sampling by people such as Justice (Goblin) and Daft Punk (George Duke etc), but tonight found something worse-
    a modern artist basically slapping his name on an old 80s disco track.

Introducing Tensnake:

4508775.jpg

A snake indeed, this guy doesn't even need a computer to make music. He can just put his name on other peoples music.

Unfortunatly I forget the name of the original track, but it was around in the 80s, and I have it on an 80s disco DJ set called "This Is Disco 2"

The "new version" is by an artist called Tensnake.

I have put samples of each track side by side here:
    http://www.condraonline.com/files/tensnakeisaripoff.mp3

Incidentally, number 1 is the original, chopped out of the old DJ set, and number 2 is "Toshi's Battle" by Tensnake, but does it matter? As far as I can tell, they are identical.

This **** pisses me off because:
    1 - There is no talent involved in putting your name on someone elses song.
    2 - The track is ****ing brilliant.
    3 - The track is for sale on sites like Beatport and Dogs On Acid. - The guy is making money offa this.

Does anyone here have any contacts in Mirau Musik? I'd love to hear what Tensnake has to say about this "track of his".

More about Mirau.....
    The Hamburg record label mirau musik was started in 2005 by three friends with the idea "not mass, but class". Musical self-limitations are ignored,
    and no particular style is set. It's about music, and in the end, about fun.

The name Mirau stems from the kind and amazingly tolerant (or was he just deaf?) old man who lived under the room where we first set up our home studio. He deserves our full gratitude for the first releases!

So, thanks again, Mr Mirau

And don't hesitate to send us your demos. Just send a message through myspace and you'll receive the e-mail adress.
    Yes indeed - send your demos. I'm gonna send them my demo. It's an album and it's called "Moon Safari". I have a feeling they might like it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

womoma wrote: »
    I've often heard people giving out about heavy sampling by people such as Justice (Goblin) and Daft Punk (George Duke etc), but tonight found something worse-
    a modern artist basically slapping his name on an old 80s disco track.

Introducing Tensnake:

4508775.jpg

A snake indeed, this guy doesn't even need a computer to make music. He can just put his name on other peoples music.

Unfortunatly I forget the name of the original track, but it was around in the 80s, and I have it on an 80s disco DJ set called "This Is Disco 2"

The "new version" is by an artist called Tensnake.

I have put samples of each track side by side here:
    http://www.condraonline.com/files/tensnakeisaripoff.mp3

Incidentally, number 1 is the original, chopped out of the old DJ set, and number 2 is "Toshi's Battle" by Tensnake, but does it matter? As far as I can tell, they are identical.

This **** pisses me off because:
    1 - There is no talent involved in putting your name on someone elses song.
    2 - The track is ****ing brilliant.
    3 - The track is for sale on sites like Beatport and Dogs On Acid. - The guy is making money offa this.

Does anyone here have any contacts in Mirau Musik? I'd love to hear what Tensnake has to say about this "track of his".

More about Mirau.....

Yes indeed - send your demos. I'm gonna send them my demo. It's an album and it's called "Moon Safari". I have a feeling they might like it.

that's pretty funny alright.
    about the making money thing: just because the track is on beatport etc., does not mean the guy is necessarily making money. when it comes to royalties etc., the original artist is in this case gonna be able to claim 100% of them, if he didn't get bought out before (or decide to make his work public domain). It gets hella complicated but the original artist is protected legally.

I think best thing you could do is somehow notify the original artist (now there's a challenge!)

tbh, and i know this is controversial, but the guy is pretty much doing something only a little worse than Daft Punk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

If tensnake has paid for the sample or made an arrangement with the original artist, there shouldnt be a problem. It's his own fault (i.e. lack of skills to pay the bills) if he can't do much other than re-create the original song/tune!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

I'm an idiot. It turns out it is definitely a Tensnake song.

I emailed him and he replied to confirm that the track is his original work.

oops14.jpg

Failure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

womoma wrote: »
    I'm an idiot. It turns out it is definitely a Tensnake song.

I emailed him and he replied to confirm that the track is his original work.

Burn. Ouch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

How did you get on with your demo?

• Advertisement
Advertisement