Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing

Options
  • 08-09-2008 8:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where abouts in Athlone the bare knuckle boxing fight was due to take place on Sunday? Just happened to get into the car around 12pm, turned on the radio and got the tail end of a report to say Gardai were on the scene with an expected 3000 spectators due to decend for the scrap. Thought nothing of it but within 5 minutes of leaving the house I came across 2 check points. One at Cornamaddy school and another at Dans Tavern.

A friend in Ballinasloe said there was checkpoints all over the town there too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

Saint_Mel wrote: »
    Anyone know where abouts in Athlone the bare knuckle boxing fight was due to take place on Sunday? Just happened to get into the car around 12pm, turned on the radio and got the tail end of a report to say Gardai were on the scene with an expected 3000 spectators due to decend for the scrap. Thought nothing of it but within 5 minutes of leaving the house I came across 2 check points. One at Cornamaddy school and another at Dans Tavern.

A friend in Ballinasloe said there was checkpoints all over the town there too!

It was taking place in Moate somewhere ... not sure if it went ahead?

Apparently there was upwards of €100,000 on it!! Madness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Henry's Cat

Is it true that The Star had exclusive access to the fight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭coillcam

It's all a load of rubbish if you ask me.

Apparently though there's a video/dvd circulating some of the estates in Mullingar already so if you got your hands on the alleged video it might help.

I knew of 2 different location near some of the lakes around Mullingar where it used to happen a few years ago.

Last I heard the previous years fight was near some "prominent" estate in Athlone suburbs but that was pure speculation as several different people told me otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

Is it true that The Star had exclusive access to the fight?

I believe so, I remember reading earlier in the week that they will have photographs in this weekends Star.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The traveller fest fighting spree took place here in Moate.

My neighbour John Joe Joyce, a former king of the thinkers was clearly photographed at it in the local papers.

The same king that hid in his attick 15 years ago in college park when he was challenged to a fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

There is also a video on sundayworld.com

Like most knacker fights, it looks more like they are dancing with each other than boxing.

Advertisement