Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPod is Disabled - For Almost 9 YEARS!!! :-(

• 08-09-2008 9:38am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a problem here I think so i have!!!

I took my i pod touch into work this morning planning to listen to it today during work... but got this on my screen!!!

"IPOD is Disabled"

"Try Again in 4557244 minutes"

Thats almost 9 bleeding YEARS!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Anyways normally if something like this happens I would connect to I Tunes on my Laptop... BUT it "DIED" last week on me, and played around with a bit and cant get it going again!

So I have a "Sick" I Pod now and cant connect to I tunes on my Laptop...

What can i do??? My brother has I tunes on the PC at home for his I-Touch can I connect to this?

I presume my little sis and her friends must have entered a wrong password a couple hundred of times of something!!! :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Send it off to apple, it's still under warranty

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This post seems to have an answer. No harm to look at the whole thread either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

jmccrohan wrote: »
    This post seems to have an answer. No harm to look at the whole thread either.

Sorry but thats post may as well be in Chinese or something... :D Means nothing to me!! Any way on dumbing it down?? :p

Thanks for the reply, i have been doing a bit of googling myself and seen that post! I think I may have to use the house PC with I tunes on it and re set my I touch... :mad:

Can i then use his I-Tunes and use his library to put on my I Touch??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Ok.

SSHing into an ipod is like using the command prompt in windows.

You can use a program like putty to ssh into your ipod.

Here is a video on how to SSH into an ipod.

Cant watch that at work unfortunatly, however i downloaded I tunes over break there and I am just trying to restore my i pod using this computer..

However i get: "i Tunes could not connect to the iPod because it is locked with a passcode. you must enter your passcode on the iPod before it can be used with iTunes"

Well - eh - i CANT!!! cos my i-Touch is locked!!!

So how can i get around this???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

20 seconds + google = answer
    How can I unlock my iPod, iPod nano, or iPod touch if I forgot the "Screen Lock" code?

"Screen Lock" is provided by the iPod nano, iPod (5G), and subsequently released iPod models. Earlier iPods do not offer this feature.

In the Apple Support Site, Apple notes that the "Screen Lock" function:

Allows you to set a 4-digit combination to prevent someone else from using your iPod while it is not attached to a computer. When an iPod is locked, you must enter the combination to unlock the screen. This feature is different from the Hold switch in that the Hold switch only prevents iPod from turning on accidentally--not keeping snoops out.

Screen Lock only locks users out of the user interface. It does not encrypt data on your iPod. For example, if you use Screen Lock and then connect your iPod to a computer, you'll be able to manage music on your iPod with iTunes and access all data on it in disk mode (contacts, notes, and any other files you have stored on the iPod).

This support document also provides additional information on locking and unlocking the iPod. According to Apple, if you have forgotten the code, you can unlock the iPod by doing the following:

Connect your iPod to the primary computer you use it with (the first one iPod synced with), and open iTunes. When you disconnect iPod from the computer, it will no longer be locked.

If you can't unlock iPod using either [the code or connecting it to the computer you use to manage its songs]. . . you can restore your iPod to factory settings using iPod Updater. Please note that this will erase all data on your iPod. Afterwards, you can add your music and data back to your iPod.

If you want to change the primary computer that your iPod is associated with, do this:

1. Restore your iPod. Warning: The restore process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data.

2. Connect your iPod to the computer that you want to be the primary computer.

3. Open iTunes and synchronize.

Apple also notes that company "representatives cannot unlock an iPod if you forget your combination. If you can't unlock your iPod and you don't have access to the primary computer, your only option is to restore the iPod, which will erase all music and data."

Thanks,

I got it into Restore mode soon after i posted and is currently downloading now again...

Think I will have to transfer my music now to my work machine?

Or can i use my brothers I Tunes at home??

delly wrote: »
    20 seconds + google = answer
    It also takes 20seconds to read the OP's post and realise that he does not have access to his original laptop with iTunes on it. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

It also takes 20seconds to read the OP's post and realise that he does not have access to his original laptop with iTunes on it. :rolleyes:
    Which is why the second relates to this scenario :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    If you can't unlock iPod using either [the code or connecting it to the computer you use to manage its songs]. . . you can restore your iPod to factory settings using iPod Updater. Please note that this will erase all data on your iPod. Afterwards, you can add your music and data back to your iPod.

If you want to change the primary computer that your iPod is associated with, do this:

1. Restore your iPod. Warning: The restore process cannot be undone. All of your songs and files will be deleted. Always make a backup of your important data.

2. Connect your iPod to the computer that you want to be the primary computer.

3. Open iTunes and synchronize.

Apple also notes that company "representatives cannot unlock an iPod if you forget your combination. If you can't unlock your iPod and you don't have access to the primary computer, your only option is to restore the iPod, which will erase all music and data."

Reformatting the yoke is hardly a solution..

• Advertisement

Reformatting the yoke is hardly a solution..
    What do you think restore mode is? If your locked out and don't have access to the original iTunes, then restore or reformatting as you put it is the only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭seany2929

My itouch is currently disabled & itunes cannot connect to it because it is locked. What can i do to unlock it?

Advertisement