Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Parking ticket on a CLIFF!!

Options
  • 08-09-2008 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

was out for a nice walk on the Cliffs of Moher yesterday - it was lovely but on approaching the car park there i saw a sign for 8 euro for cars and i said fek it im not paying that for 30 mins of parking. so headed up the road a bit and found entrance to a field with a gate outside it. i was well pulled in, no way was the car close to the double yellow lines and from what i could tell it was private property.

when i returned i found a parking ticket on my windscreen from Clare CC. there were 3 other cars parked there and all had received tickets.

so now i have a fine for 40 euro for parking my car on what i believe to be private property. and i don't really want to pay it :)
    so are they allowed to give you a ticket for parking beond a yellow line ?

what happens if i dont pay the fine ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

I'm not sure but I recently went to the Cliffs of Moher and the parking charges are disgraceful! I was tempted to just stop on the narrow road and leave it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If it's land owned by Clare co co then afaik they are allowed to ticket you.

Having said that - 8 euro to park?!?!? We really do like to rip off tourists and milk them of absolutely every euro, ensuring they never come back here for a holiday, don't we.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

JoeySully wrote: »
    was out for a nice walk on the Cliffs of Moher yesterday - it was lovely but on approaching the car park there i saw a sign for 8 euro for cars and i said fek it im not paying that for 30 mins of parking. so headed up the road a bit and found entrance to a field with a gate outside it. i was well pulled in, no way was the car close to the double yellow lines and from what i could tell it was private property.

when i returned i found a parking ticket on my windscreen from Clare CC. there were 3 other cars parked there and all had received tickets.

so now i have a fine for 40 euro for parking my car on what i believe to be private property. and i don't really want to pay it :)
    so are they allowed to give you a ticket for parking beond a yellow line ?

what happens if i dont pay the fine ?

Did you block the gate with your car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

eth0_ wrote: »
    If it's land owned by Clare co co then afaik they are allowed to ticket you.

Having said that - 8 euro to park?!?!? We really do like to rip off tourists and milk them of absolutely every euro, ensuring they never come back here for a holiday, don't we.

I was there at the weekend also and amazed at having to pay 8 euro to park.
    I guess a lot of cars get tickets there otherwise no one would pay the 8 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I would have considered myself a regular to the Cliffs of Moher having lived in the Ennis region for 8 years, I would travel out there for Sunday a stroll have a coffee in the centre at least twice a year, Not any more.

They have destroyed this privilege for the locals as well as ripping off tourists. Anyone should now treat this place now as a once off advent, once bitten twice shy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Clare county council had cameras pointing down on the site where the OP got done, with the cash they are making they could well afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I would have considered myself a regular to the Cliffs of Moher having lived in the Ennis region for 8 years, I would travel out there for Sunday a stroll have a coffee in the centre at least twice a year, Not any more.

They have destroyed this privilege for the locals as well as ripping off tourists. Anyone should now treat this place now as a once off advent, once bitten twice shy. I wouldn't be surprised if the Clare county council had cameras pointing down on the site where the OP got done.

I would be down that neck of the woods every month or so and have been for 10-12 years now. It was a regular Sat/Sun morning destination to blow the cobwebs from last night away. Spectacular spot. I visited the 'new' Cliffs once and once only. They will not be getting any of my money again. I know many who've taken a similar line. So for the sake of earning €8.00 once, they've lost whatever the cost of parking & coffee/tea for two x 10-15 visits p/annum, minimum, ongoing. Smart economics.

Apparently there are plans for a Park & Ride facility, based up the hill 'behind' Liscannor. Wonder what they'll charge for that, or will the village publicans/retailers have the cop on to subsidise it in return for the business opportunity it'll provide?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

MarkR wrote: »
    Did you block the gate with your car?

ahem yes :o but its a farmers gate not the Clare CC unless they are now storing round bales. i looked at the entrance when i pulled in and it didn't look well used. if the car was pulled out of there by a farmer i would have no probs with that its his property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ahem yes :o but its a farmers gate not the Clare CC unless they are now storing round bales. i looked at the entrance when i pulled in and it didn't look well used. if the car was pulled out of there by a farmer i would have no probs with that its his property.
    Im sure if the car was blocking the farmers gate he would be entitled to get the council to act on it. If I was the Farmer I would be on the gate myself with a bucket and charging cars e3 for the use of the field.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Well you can contest it in court and see what they say.
    Let us know how you got on.

I can see why they fine people up at the cliffs since it's a popular spot for walking and leaving your car on the road. I used to go there loads a few years before they ruined it with concrete. Was 2 euro to park then iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

biko wrote: »
    Well you can contest it in court and see what they say.
    Let us know how you got on.

I can see why they fine people up at the cliffs since it's a popular spot for walking and leaving your car on the road. I used to go there loads a few years before they ruined it with concrete. Was 2 euro to park then iirc.

well now i don't think im going to take a day off work to drive up to Clare to go to court - id pay the fine first, because i know that in court i would probably loose just to set example to other ppl.

i obviously know i shouldn't have parked there but its the fact that i wasn't on a public road that get me if the owner of the property had asked me to pay 3 euro then i would have done :)

the wardens are up there to keep the area safe as there are a lot of walkers in the area which i great but i wasn't causing an obstruction - i wasn't parked "ON" a double yellow line - i was parked inside it and i want even on public property.

Do i really have to go to court to appeal a ticket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do i really have to go to court to appeal a ticket?

"You can also appeal against a parking ticket if you feel you have been fined unfairly. Take as much detail of the scene as you can (photographs, details of road markings, etc) and send them to the local authority traffic division with your parking ticket and a letter outlining your complaint". here

Advertisement