Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of selling some comics and graphic novels.

Options
  • 08-09-2008 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I'm thinking of selling some comics and graphic novels. I don't particularly want to but the mounting stacks and box loads dictate that I should. What is the best way to go about off loading a few hundred comics and 50 or 60 graphics? I have no idea what return I can expect on the comics but it would be nice to get half the cover price of the graphics. They are all in pristine condition.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

There are a few things to consider:

1) Single issues - unless you've got complete runs or particularly rare issues, you'll be lucky to get cover price for them, and are realistically more likely to get a fraction of cover price per issue. If you sell complete runs or full miniseries as individual packages you may be able to get more for them. The rule of thumb is usually "is it from the 60s or earlier?" - if yes, you may be in the money. If not, don't get your hopes up.

2) Graphic novels/TPBs - If they're in decent nick and there's any kind of demand for them, half the cover price is a reasonable starting point. Depending on demand and availability you may be able to get significantly more. (www.nostomania.com may be a useful way of determining the demand and value of individual items, but I haven't used it much so I can't swear by it).

3) Selling individually will take ages, but gives you a better chance of getting a good price for items of some value. In general the folks who've posted up on adverts.ie have posted their entire collection, and due to the difficulty in managing offers for individual items it's more often than note a case of "all or nothing". Ebay or some alternative online auction market is likely to be your best bet if you want to sell individual items, but I'd say you'll be better off only bothering with the TPBs and graphic novels.

4) Whatever you do, for the love of all that's holy don't go to second-hand bookshops with your graphic novels or TPBs. You'll get so little for them that frankly you'd be better off giving them to a charity shop or a library. (Cork City Library often received my surplus comics, although to my dismay my new local library won't accept book donations...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Nathanual

Sub City at the moment is looking for Graphics, just pop in with them... they get bored in there...lol

Stephen

Advertisement