Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixies -yet more on fixies!

Options
  • 08-09-2008 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

So dear little internet chummies, I have 700 quid burning a hole in my pocket, and want need to get me a fixie... question is, what do I go for! The lightweight and style of the Langster, and risk the wrath of Niceonetom; the beef and weight of a Surly Steamroller and just say 'no' to hills; the middle of the road (in weight terms) of the Bianchi Pista or Fuji Track and wait endless days on the postman?

Answers on a postcard to the usual place :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Dare I ask, wot's wrong with the paddywagon?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Verb wrote: »
    Dare I ask, wot's wrong with the paddywagon?

She is no more :(

Long story, but el Paddy Wagon is gone to the bike graveyard in the sky, and I've got a 700 quid insurance cheque to spend on a new bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

and risk the wrath of Niceonetom

?

I would have thought he'd approve?

Langster, has to be. Is there an '09 model yet?

unionman wrote: »
    ?

I would have thought he'd approve?

Langster, has to be. Is there an '09 model yet?

I think he doesn't want to see the Langster go the way of the Bowery :P

Model year doesn't bother me -if an 07 was available and cheaper I'd go for it!

The carbon fork is mighty tempting though, I have to be honest

The Bowery thing won't last, sooner or later they all want skinny tyres and less weight:D

I never see any secondhand ones up for sale. I prefer the 07 to the 08 (not just because I have the 07:)).

Weightwise it's the biz. Happy shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

fixies are out, new trend in town...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfRekj46Vq8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

guess you wouldn't need a bell with that racket, and you wouldn't have ppl stepping out in front of you!

You could get the Fuji/Pista and keep it for the track! Or do they allow you to bring your own track bikes.

Verb wrote: »
    You could get the Fuji/Pista and keep it for the track! Or do they allow you to bring your own track bikes.

They do indeed let you use your own ones, but I need it for commuting! (man, I'm fickle)... think it's going to have to be the Langster at this moment in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

You know you really want the Plug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Well if it's for commuting don't go for the Bianchi or Fuji, they'll pummel you into the ground with their aggressive geometry. The Langster's the best choice I reckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The 2009 Langster comes in a few subtle and tasteful colour schemes:
    2647180569_9fc6855186.jpg

Re: the video above - pretty funny, but everyone knows Fix-Push is going to be HUGE in '09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2885aR6o6s

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have a Genesis Flyer and I like it. But you aren't allowed get one.

Raam wrote: »
    I have a Genesis Flyer and I like it. But you aren't allowed get one.

This is the big problem -everyone wants to have the 'only' one of each model... that was fine when I was the only one on the Paddy Wagon, but now I want a change everyone's going to hate me.... the Flyer is nice, but I can't pull of a white bike really -too fat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Morgan wrote: »
    The 2009 Langster comes in a few subtle and tasteful colour schemes:

Re: the video above - pretty funny, but everyone knows Fix-Push is going to be HUGE in '09
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2885aR6o6s

Yuk ... I prefer the 08 by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

She is no more :(

Long story, but el Paddy Wagon is gone to the bike graveyard in the sky, and I've got a 700 quid insurance cheque to spend on a new bike

**** buzz :(

You could self-build a Surly 1x1.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Buy Gabgab's Pinarello and convert it.

el tonto wrote: »
    Buy Gabgab's Pinarello and convert it.

haha nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭stabu

are we allowed ask to which selling establishment you may wend your way TE?

stabu wrote: »
    are we allowed ask to which selling establishment you may wend your way TE?

I'll go anywhere -am lbs agnostic!

Langster is still in the lead, with a Surly Steamroller build in close second.

Being an impatient sod, I think I need one that I can buy in Dublin, as I don't want to wait for delivery -commuting on my road bike is not fun (it doesn't like the traffic!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

They're not available in a shop in dublin, but I'd consider any of these:

Gorilla Hattara
    Pearson touche
    Salsa casseroll single - this one has semi horizontal dropouts, so can be converted to a geared bike. Extra versatile and good option from the standpoint of being a commuter.

But I really steamrollers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I love my Charge Plug. Also considered the Pearson Touche but couldn't justify the extra dosh over the Plug for a bike that is used mainly for commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

You could buy my 08 Langster off me, but im not entirely sure i really want to sell it. The allure of gears is getting stronger every day though:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I love my Felt Dispatch. It has one of the nicest frames out of any Al fixie but the low gearing (39x16) might put you off.

I also like being pretty unique, so maybe don't buy one!

They cost about 600 squids off wiggle, I would have preferred to buy from Joe Daly but they were unsure about getting one in (dunno why, ordering a bunch of felts anyway I would imagine).

The paintjob is also nice and subtle, one of the things i didnt like about the langster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'd also consider an On One Il Pompino. They're so cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

This isn't exactly going to be unique but it looks fantastic.

It would be cheaper in the UK also.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23598

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    This isn't exactly going to be unique but it looks fantastic.

It would be cheaper in the UK also.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23598

I like those deep dish rims, but overall it doesn't appeal.

The 09 Langster looks as though somebody vomited the colour scheme onto the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

anyone got any strong opinions on this?

i'm not mad about the red colour scheme but cannondale know what they're doing when it comes to aluminium, and i like the classic horizontal tt. smooth welds too... and as a pathological upgrader the entry level cranks and wheels don't even put me off.

that new langster is hideous. but i'm sure there are other colour schemes available... right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

niceonetom wrote: »

i'm not mad about the red colour scheme but cannondale know what they're doing when it comes to aluminium, and i like the classic horizontal tt. smooth welds too... and as a pathological upgrader the entry level cranks and wheels don't even put me off.

that new langster is hideous. but i'm sure there are other colour schemes available... right?

Yes there are

http://thebicycleescape.blogspot.com/2008/05/2009-spcialized-langster.html

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »

Was looking at one in Cycleways just there -it's nicer in the flesh (don't worry, I wasn't tempted!)

Got a Langster -will be with me tomorrow :) (it's the nice looking 08)

Advertisement