Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixies -yet more on fixies!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Given any thought to a random, old steel conversion?

I have a ludicrous fake Pinarello frame being built up right now, but maybe an old resurrection might be a plan? It'll at least be originial...

edit - I see you went with l'langster... not a bad choice, considering I could have bought one + racks and panniers given the pirate-price that Eurocycles is charging for the work they're doing :0

edit II - what happened to your other ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Dang youtube link isn't working here's the direct. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvvNbVzABLA&NR=1

(Ignore the last 45 sec's - don't know what that's about!)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

So, eh, what actually happened to the Paddy Wagon? Is it too sore a subject?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    So, eh, what actually happened to the Paddy Wagon? Is it too sore a subject?

Bike on car, other car into back of my car. Broken bike :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bike on car, other car into back of my car. Broken bike :(

Oh no :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Anything salvageable on it?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

fish-head wrote: »
    I'd also consider an On One Il Pompino. They're so cool!
    On One are doing some special offers on Pompinos this week, £399 for flat, drop or Mary bar versions. Good value for an excellent bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

My Bianchi Pista arrived yesterday, very happy with it! Going out today to stick a front brake on it, not quite confident enough to keep it brakeless. One question I have is what pedals would people recommend for a fixie? It came with basic flat pedals but was considering getting toe clips as I don't want to have to use straps or clipless. Anyone else get around using toe clips?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

My Bianchi Pista arrived yesterday, very happy with it! Going out today to stick a front brake on it, not quite confident enough to keep it brakeless
    It's not just confidence, its being prepared to ride slow enough to go brakeless (and live).
    One question I have is what pedals would people recommend for a fixie? It came with basic flat pedals but was considering getting toe clips as I don't want to have to use straps or clipless. Anyone else get around using toe clips?
    I find two-sided SPD's the ideal pedal for a fixie. Easy to get in and out of and a good fixing for pulling on the upstroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

My Bianchi Pista arrived yesterday, very happy with it! Going out today to stick a front brake on it, not quite confident enough to keep it brakeless. One question I have is what pedals would people recommend for a fixie? It came with basic flat pedals but was considering getting toe clips as I don't want to have to use straps or clipless. Anyone else get around using toe clips?

I'm on toe clips on mine and and quite happy with them - I've had a few incidents where SPDs would have left me on my arse. Normal bike I'm SPD all the way but for the fixie I prefer the clips.

One thing I'm enjoying on mine is planning routes and riding them with the intention of not having to stop at all (not track standing yet) - made home-work-home yesterday with no stops - 2 miles each way in city centre and no jumped reds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i haven't used toe clips on the fixie so i can't comment, but i use these 5937.jpg
    spds for commuting, training etc. but still ridable in flipflops if you just need to pop out to buy milk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

It's not just confidence, its being prepared to ride slow enough to go brakeless (and live).

Not exactly someone who leisurely cycles around the place so think front brake is the only answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭digitalage

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

stuf wrote: »
    I'm on toe clips on mine and and quite happy with them - I've had a few incidents where SPDs would have left me on my arse. Normal bike I'm SPD all the way but for the fixie I prefer the clips.

I'm the other way round. ie i normally used clipless on my fixie but when I needed to replace them I got a half-decent pair of toe clips and straps instead, just to see if they wouldn't be more suitable. So i put them on, and come to the first set of traffic lights and what happens?

1 I topple over trying to release my left foot.

2 I fall on top of a fellow cyclist who had ridden up along my left and he falls over too.

3 And right in front of a crowd of waiting pedestrians who had just exited U2's uber-cool Clarence Hotel.

4 And put a humdinger of a scratch on the frame where it hit the other cyclist's pedal.

Oh, the shame. Its only now I'm able to talk about it.

Back to clipless after that.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Itsfixed wrote: »
    I'm the other way round. ie i normally used clipless on my fixie but when I needed to replace them I got a half-decent pair of toe clips and straps instead, just to see if they wouldn't be more suitable. So i put them on, and come to the first set of traffic lights and what happens?

1 I topple over trying to release my left foot.

2 I fall on top of a fellow cyclist who had ridden up along my left and he falls over too.

3 And right in front of a crowd of waiting pedestrians who had just exited U2's uber-cool Clarence Hotel.

4 And put a humdinger of a scratch on the frame where it hit the other cyclist's pedal.

Oh, the shame. Its only now I'm able to talk about it.

Back to clipless after that.:D
    I find my toe-clips and straps a breeze to get in and out of. Getting in is simply a case of a quick flick and getting out just means pulling my foot out. I don't even think about doing them any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

How tight do you have them though?

I've been using clipless pedals for years and they're second nature at this stage. I tried out toe-clips on my fixed wheel because I didn't want to be wearing bike shoes all the time. With the straps done up tight they were very hard to get out of, but with them loose I couldn't pull up on the pedals effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Morgan wrote: »
    How tight do you have them though?

I've been using clipless pedals for years and they're second nature at this stage. I tried out toe-clips on my fixed wheel because I didn't want to be wearing bike shoes all the time. With the straps done up tight they were very hard to get out of, but with them loose I couldn't pull up on the pedals effectively.

Somewhere in between I think;) My foot barely budges up and down when I'm pulling and pushing but seems to come out easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I'm very comfortable with both. For in town I find straps favorable but out on the road clipless wins over for overall performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭King Eric

My Bianchi Pista arrived yesterday, very happy with it!

Hey Peadar, where did you get your Bike from?

Im looking to build up another fixie and i love the plain chrome of the pistas i've seen about.

Advertisement