Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is nigh!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

ejmaztec wrote: »
    When some scientist on the TV news tries to put our minds at rest, telling us that these "collisions" are perfectly natural, and that they happen all the time on the planet, I can't quite bring myself to trust him. If they are perfectly natural, and happen all the time, then why, if they're so bloody plentiful, did they spend 4.5 billion quid on some DIY machine?:confused:

So that they can monitor what happens.
    So they can be measured and looked at up close, duh. Read about what this thing will actually do instead of listening to the scare media and Dr. Nick scientists.

Missed your post, what he said.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If i could be all serious for a moment...

...if the LHC is all singing and dancing but has the potential to destroy the world then i reckon either aliens or God will tell us before we switch it on.

Think about it:

Aliens will want to tell us its bad cos some other world of loonies tried it already and it failed miserably.

God will intervene cos we're supposed to wipe ourselves by dropping bombs on each other cos there is no lesson to be learnt otherwise.

Id just hate to be the punter who pays the electricity bills for CERN.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

When some scientist on the TV news tries to put our minds at rest, telling us that these "collisions" are perfectly natural, and that they happen all the time on the planet, I can't quite bring myself to trust him. If they are perfectly natural, and happen all the time, then why, if they're so bloody plentiful, did they spend 4.5 billion quid on some DIY machine?:confused:

Um, actually thats not entirely true. The collisions that happen naturally occur in space or occur when sun rays and all that jazz hit our atmosphere. However the LHC is going to be more intense.

look at it like this. Car crashes happen all the time, some are nasty some not. Imagine what kind of car crash you could have if you intentionally aimed the cars at each other well in excess of the speed limit...

Im off to make some tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Tony Broke wrote: »
    Yes a manned mission to mars would cost alot alot more, but its always possibile that we dont find anything new with the lhc, not even Higgs.If that turns out to be true it will hurt science/voyage/whatever very badly, to the stage that people will really start to ask why.

As I said, if we don't find the Higgs boson, it means that physics has been on the wrong track for easily 20 years. If you can't see why that's exciting then you're not getting what science is about. Disproving hypotheses or failing to.
    Hype can be bad as well, at the end of the day its just a particle accelerator ( we have alot of those ) just this is way bigger.

Yes "hype can be bad". You sure don't need to be any sort of expert to state that one. You haven't told us why the hype around the LHC is bad though. Yes, this is a bigger collider, but it is one which has hit a watershed mark in terms of energy. This experiment has the power to answer some of the fundamental questions in physics. People are getting interested, they're actually leaning the basics of what it all means. I suggest you give that a try. If you don't care, that's fine. But you sure care enough to rubbish the thing here and in the Phys&Chem forum.
    The LHC could be chasing theories that are wrong, and may find nothing groundbreaking at all.

It is "chasing" the current main model of physics. This is not fringe stuff, this is the whole modern take on relativity and quantum physics: the standard model. The vast majority of physicists are studying that model. If it's wrong that's groundbreaking.
    Will it though, again I am not an expert, far from it.

Neither am I, but I read up on this before deciding it was crap.
    If they find Higgs, things might keep going like they are now with more € spent to find out the how Higgs dictates the formation of mass of the particles.

What, you're saying they shouldn't do science because it leads to more science? By that logic we should never go to Mars in case those darn scientists start to thinking we should go to Saturn too.
    Not finding it will damage a few ego's and past legends in the field and will force some to have a rethink.

So what? That's what science does. That's what it has always done. Revolution, followed by normal science, followed by strange results that don't fit, followed by crisis and back to revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭truecrippler

Because the detector is three storeys tall and the collision has to happen right in the middle of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Is it turning on at 7.30 am?

Ah! the end of the road

Can you imagine the size of the speeding fine these neutrons will get when they cross the border at more than 100kmh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

This thing has already been used although not fully, over the weekend they ran a test through 6-8km of it and fired it into a 1000 tonne block to absorb the energy of the test.

Tomorrow will be the first time a test will be run using all sections of the 27km ring it still won't be a full power for a while yet til they get used to it and linning up the electro magnets just right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

From /.

Well the good thing about the critics of this LHC project, is that we won't be hearing any "I TOLD YOU SO!"

• Advertisement

How hard is it to get a question answered around here. Is it starting at 7.30 a.m.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

I laughed at the rte new tonight when yer wan called it a super colender, kinda explains the whole scare thing when people dunno what the hell it actually does. Strikes me as very unlikely as the amount of energy to create a black hole requires a massive star, most arent even big enough to form one.

That being said there is a fear that one day we will do something stupid and make a very big bang. When you think when they tested the first atom bomb they considered it might cause a chain reaction that would wipe out the planet, then maybe we will **** up. ah well, gotta break some eggs to make an omlette, or something

I'm still a "Virgin !!!!" better get that sorted out quick :P:P:P

Hello. :D

HELP PLEASE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

barnicles wrote: »
    How hard is it to get a question answered around here. Is it starting at 7.30 a.m.?

Answered already above, it has started before at the weekend just gone. Tomorrow will just be the first time to use the full ring but not a full power, that will be done in a month or so.

According to wiki it starts at 07:30 GMT

But for the official answer who the fuck is [url="http://aliceinfo.cern.ch/2]ALICE[/url]

A.m. Or p.m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I hope someone stands in between the particles in the hope of receiving super-powers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

HELP PLEASE!

:pac: He's actually scared:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

A.m. Or p.m
    Sometimes I wish humanity would end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I hope someone stands in between the particles in the hope of receiving super-powers

but then explodes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

A.m. Or p.m

i heard 8am, but is that CET or GMT

:confused:

A.m. Or p.m

07:30 = 7:30 am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

HELP PLEASE!
    IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

You can't stop it, so just accept it: you're going to die in a black hole.

The good news is, Neil DeGrasse Tyson has tried his best to prepare us by describing what it will be like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1iJXOUMJpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What does it look like , this end of the world? I guess it means I won't have to get up ever again. ;)

For weeks I thought it was called a colander bloody dyslexia... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

For weeks I thought it was called a colander bloody dyslexia... :(
    :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7604293.stm
    Mr Myers has experience of the latter problem. While working on the LHC's predecessor, a machine called the Large-Electron Positron Collider, engineers found two beer bottles wedged into the beam pipe - a deliberate, one-off act of sabotage.

The culprits - who were drinking a particular brand which advertising once claimed would "refresh the parts other beers cannot reach" - were never found.

if the world ends you could always blame the beer! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Man ED has countless laughs about the LHC.

The best pic to come be released though has to be this

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lhcgordanfreemanea4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Spagettification....

Oh shi-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ageary08

Stev_o wrote: »
    Man ED has countless laughs about the LHC.

The best pic to come be released though has to be this

http://img134.imageshack.us/my.php?image=lhcgordanfreemanea4.jpg

That is absolutely brilliant ! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

crazy geeks and nerds :) i wish i understood more about what they are doing!

they have a schedule for the day here

http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-first-beam/documents/CERN_LHC_first_beam_day.pdf

note the P.J party at 11.30 in the US, crazy yanks :pac:

11:30 Visit by videoconference to Fermi National Accelerator Laboratory, near
    Chicago, Illinois, USA. Fermilab, which contributes to construction and operation
    of the LHC and CMS experiment, will host a pajama party in the middle of the
    night for scientists, media, VIPs and members of the public to follow the events at
    CERN live as they happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Riddle101

07:30 = 7:30 am

Damn, i'll be alseep when it's turned on at that time so i'll miss the end of th world. How typical that the world is going to end, and i sleep through it. Ah well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Oooooh I'm all excited.

I'll be sitting at my desk when it all kicks off. Now juat to decide what to have for the last supper.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Riddle101 wrote: »
    lol how typical that the Brits finally get the Olympics and the world gets destroyed on the same day.

Anyway way i see it, let's embrace this event, at least we'll be more comfortable when it happens and won't be as scared when our guts are sucked through our skulls when we go through the blackhole.

Oh and these guys who built this so called device Haydron Collider? is it possible that on the day before it's turned on,the Rapture will happen. I mean if anyone's going to destroy the world, God will. He'll proberly want to get there first

TBH i'd rather god got here first so that way i could ask him a lil favour of sparin me..

imagine asking a black hole

"Excuse me but could you possibly spaa- *slurp*"

Heard they were only testing it in one direction tomorrow and there's another month till they do the 'big one'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I've got a crowbar, a shovel, a box of condoms, mescaline and cat. Combined I'm ready for anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Damn, i'll be alseep when it's turned on at that time so i'll miss the end of th world. How typical that the world is going to end, and i sleep through it. Ah well.

Hahaha i could stop laughing at this for some reason...maybe cause its 2am:confused:..ah well guess ill hit the hay....:(nice knowing you all

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I wonder how many people will be having a last **** at 7.30am.

Going out with a bang as it were.

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think anything is going to happen.

It'd be cool if something did happen though. Wouldn't necessarily have to end the world, but just good to have a bit of excitement.

As Vince McMahon would say.. It's time to shake things up a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ass

I'll pay every single one of the people who claim the world is going to end €100 if the world ends because of this thing. If the world doesn't end, then everyone owes me €100 each. How does that sound?

Kind of a win-win isn't it?

If the world doesn't end you rake in a few €€€; but if it does, you can just promise you'll send the money next week, but by then we'll all have been Spaghettificated.

Well not so much win win, as much as it is just win, since the world isn't going to end because of the LHC. The odds are something like 1x10^15 or something. Not going to happen.

P.S I take cash only.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Kind of a win-win isn't it?

If the world doesn't end you rake in a few €€€; but if it does, you can just promise you'll send the money next week, but by then we'll all have been Spaghettificated.

no guff :rolleyes:

I'm off to bed... If it happens while i'm asleep, i'll see yous all in the black hole 2moro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

The thing is if there are actually odds that the universe could end then seriously. No. Bad scientists. BAD.

I do not believe for a second the world could end but it's pretty cool to live in an age where the possibility is argued over.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

Nothings gonna happen. It's all gonna be one big let down

Sandor wrote: »
    The thing is if there are actually odds that the universe could end then seriously. No. Bad writers from the herald. BAD.

I do not believe for a second the world could end but it's pretty cool to live in an age where the possibility is argued over.
    Fixed.

there should be a live stream of them turning it on.. or is there such a thing already being done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

nothing is goin to happen, all there doing tomorrow is circulating one beam or at least they're gonna try to circulate it.
    No collisions will occur so there is no possibilty for black holes or anything else happening.
    The actual experiment i.e. collisions wont begin until october/november but realistically they
    must likely wont start till next year cause there is bound to be teething problems.

Advertisement