Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is nigh!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

there should be a live stream of them turning it on.. or is there such a thing already being done?

http://webcast.cern.ch/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was just about to post that. good call Xavi.

So wait, I have an excuse for being up this late because im on EST time. Are you all that worried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Xavi6 wrote:
    Connection Interrupted?! OH **** IT'S HAPPENENING!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its only being turned on today.We will all die within the next few weeks

OMFG!!! Just looked out the window and there's a massive gaping hole in the sky!!! Things are being sucked up right into it!!! Quick, run!!!!!*

* May not actually be happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Xavi6 wrote: »
    OMFG!!! Just looked out the window and there's a massive gaping hole in the sky!!! Things are being sucked up right into it!!! Quick, run!!!!!*

* May not actually be happening
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

I got up for nothing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

45 mins to go

it started a while ago

CHD wrote: »
    it started a while ago

Really? News reports say 6.30pm AEST which is not for another 90 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

they are showing the live stream on rte from 8am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The bit that worries me is when they say "any black holes created will be tiny and simply dissolve". Create? Dissolve? Do they mean made from nothing then disappear from existence? I thought matter could be neither created nor destroyed. They are going to do both! I wouldn't trust those boyos with a Chicken Curry in a microwave.

Is the sound a bit borked on RTE for anyone?

No the sound is fine. Scooby-Doo always talks like that.

Ooops I'm on RTE2. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Everyone still here? One of my legs flew off into a strangelet (mini black hole) there a while ago, but another strangelet appeared a few minutes later and an xbox 360 fell out of it so I'm happy enough.

Is the live stream actually being shown by rte? I checked sky a min ago and no joy.

I'm watching it online and there's some lad rabbling on explaining what happens but there's all sorts of other voices in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hagar wrote:
    The bit that worries me is when they say "any black holes created will be tiny and simply dissolve". Create? Dissolve? Do they mean made from nothing then disappear from existence? I thought matter could be neither created nor destroyed. They are going to do both! I wouldn't trust those boyos with a Chicken Curry in a microwave.

Pfft Hagar have you even watched the LHC rap? It's all very well explained in there.

Btw does anybody really think it's going to be worth watching on telly? Even with 1080p HD or whatever the cool kids have these days, I'm pretty sure you won't be able to actually see any particles Usain Bolting around the 27km track.

We'll have to take the scientists' word for it that anything actually happened at all.
    It reminds me a bit of the old flea circus idea. Everything is mechanically operated but kids believe that it's really the fleas making the see-saw go up and down.

Ah I was wondering why I couldn't find it. Bit fo a joke though that they feel that they should show an Afternoon Show rerun instead of the LHC. Nice as blathnaid is and everything...

Is the sound a bit borked on RTE for anyone?
    yeah its a bit muffled

Sound's after sorting it out now.

I'm hearing mentions of 'backup plans' and 'alternative rays' 'just in case'. This could be fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Daddio wrote: »
    Ah I was wondering why I couldn't find it. Bit fo a joke though that they feel that they should show an Afternoon Show rerun instead of the LHC. Nice as blathnaid is and everything...

Those cackling hens on the Afternoon Show pose a far greater risk to the future of mankind than the Large Hadron Collider ever will.

CERN say the LHC has experienced some small electrical problems overnight. :rolleyes: According to bbc news anyway. Still starting at 8.30 though.

Daddio wrote: »
    It was worth watching t it for a fwew minutes just to hear them admit that the Bronze Bream that they used in Thursday's cookery spot is a protected species. Spanners. :D

its all a bit bloody mental stuff!!!

Two big wig lads addressing the staff there in French.

My Junior Cert French has provided the following translation -

"Right lads, we've ballsed this up big time and we're all fecked. Thank you for your help over the last few years but it just wasn't enough. It's been nice knowing you all."

*Applause*

Sorry got all my gmt +3 - 7 +3 and at 12 in america mixed up

starts in ten mins

C'mon rte you can do it! I can hear the groans of the live stream, it isn't the liking the extra traffic of a few lads from boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

T-10 MINUTES TO DESTRUCTION OF EARTH

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Can we recycle it after?

• Advertisement

Grand, tis working now. Everyone's making sure they've got their maths righ before they fire it up.

It's been nice knowing you guys.
    I'll be one of the first to go, just under 400km at 99.9% the speed of light won't take long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭Omnipresence

we're gonna have to sit through all this in a month again......

they're only turning the machine on today... another 30 days or so before they actually attempt any collisions...

I think a ban on LHC threads was the best suggestion... :D

Shit I need a piss. Tell them to hold on til I get back!!!

See you on the other side folks. :D A welshman designed it, can we trust him?

/edit ah **** he's turning it on aswell!

Wit several thousand magnets to align, they'll be lucky to get ANY particles to orbit the system first time! Today will be more like " right lads! that one got 20dgrees around, turn magnet 127 down 1.37%, and repeat" all day and if their calculations are out for the next few years!

• Advertisement

THERE IT IS!!!! A FECKIN BEAM!!!

I'm nervous :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Nobody seems to know that these collisions happen millions of times a second all around us in nature, the machine just puts one in a microscope.....

Can anyone else actually see the beam on that screen?

/edit saw it, must have blinked :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Sooo, are we dead yet ??

Just for the record there's a big black swirly thing out side my window :eek:

• Advertisement

that is ghey

"5....4....3....2....1............no beam"

FAIL!

€5 billion for a flash? I could have done that with a torch from the €uroshop.
    What are the going to do with the big ring now? Hold midget racing there?

"5....4....3....2....1............no beam"

FAIL!
    "5...4...3...2...1... What the ****? No! Nooo! Black Hoooollllllllleeeeeee!!!!"

Major Feyl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We should merge all of the LHC-Apocalypse threads into one super thread and sticky it as a monument to the incredible stupidity and ignorance of the average man.

Zillah wrote: »
    We should merge all of the LHC-Apocalypse threads into one super thread and sticky it as a monument to the incredible stupidity and ignorance of the average man.
    Can we put Vin Diesel movies in there aswell?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Getting sucked into a black hole doesnt seem like such a bad thing right now. I've got loads of work to do today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They did something...... Got the beam around to point 7 there. They're tweaking the machine now so they they can get it to go further :)

Okay they got to point 8 there

Next one should be to point 9

Point 7, how many points do they need to score!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Live stream on RTE website. Almost all the way around now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement