Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is nigh!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

mmm, aparently one beam has aleady been sent around it, fun starts when two are sent around

:D

the tefalheads got their sums right, now the fun begins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They've completed one revolution :) Now they'll try to get around in one go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

When do we all blow up? :mega-extreme-rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

One beam just went the full way round. Hurrah!

They're announcing some little surprises apparently. :eek: Time travel?? :pac:

Daddio wrote: »
    One beam just went the full way round. Hurrah!

They're announcing some little surprises apparently. :eek: Time travel?? :pac:
    that was last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

Theres no point in any of ye's hanging around waiting for anything at all to happen, it's designed to be a slow burner, no collisions untill about a month in (so ye have all of september to enjoy before cracking open each others heads to feast on the goo inside) and it won't be up to top performance for a couple of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

20 kph average speed on that run. So world not ending just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Does anyone know does the black hole have wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

is_that_so wrote: »
    Live stream on RTE website.

Fantastic. Imagine if it went horribly wrong Half-Life style and a race of Lovecraft-esque
    conquerors emerge from the inter-dimensional rift live on Rte.

That would *Almost* make the TV licence fee seem like good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Is it so wrong to wish this could be Black Mesa II....

Sully wrote: »

Yes! it just has a slow response time. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I just realised that i was waiting for the live stream of a particle physics experiment to buffer.

I have sunk to a new low in Nerdiness.

You might already be a nerd judging by your username ;) but they have done an amazing job publicity wise on the LHC haven't they? I mean how many scientific experiments will get the kind of audiences this will? The lawsuits about destroying the Earth only helped get more press coverage.

Even my own mother has heard of it and she thinks Dev is still Taoiseach!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

wtf??? i hope none of you tool thought this was true...god get a life you freaks

I love the smell of stupidity in the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

There's some sexy b*tch being interviewed now.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

She's not bad looking...

EDIT: Dave beat me to it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Sully wrote: »

They're gonna tell you it does. But then after spending 2 hours on the phone to Black Hole Tech Support you'll find out that it was all just a LIE!!!!!

They're gonna tell you it does. But then after spending 2 hours on the phone to Black Hole Tech Support you'll find out that it was all just a LIE!!!!!

But most tech support calls already go there..

But most tech support calls already go there..

True...and I'm proud to say I'm one of those annoying dickheads that work there :p

• Advertisement

True...and I'm proud to say I'm one of those annoying dickheads that work there :p

I work in a similar line myself. ;)

So what happened?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

following an initial hiccup which appeared to be fixed by the traditional expedient of turning it off then on again

€5 billion worth of technology fixed by switching it off/on...that is just fantastic!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We got up, scratched our balls, looked outside at the Independece Day style devistation, logged onto boards.ie, scratched balls again.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

€5 billion worth of technology fixed by switching it off/on...that is just fantastic!!!

Tec-support: resolution list

1, switch it off then on again.... ;)

I was on an Intercity train going from Birmingham to Euston when they did just that, the train stopped and the announcement was "we have just reset the train's computer"

Tech support: resolution list

2: Repeat step 1 a few more times while banging on the sides of the machine...my personal favourite!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

/pinches arm, farts. looks out window.

I must be in hell.... still fcukin raining.

/gets back into bed. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I won't get up at 7.30am for my PhD work so the end of the world never stood a chance. I hear we got a full circuit with the proton beam and a one way collision detection. Which is nice.

If Switzerland vanishes off the face of the Earth how quickly can I expect Google maps to update?

If Switzerland vanishes off the face of the Earth how quickly can I expect Google maps to update?

Just cut-n-paste this in it's place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

Well it's official. We are fcuked :(

Sigh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32 Canis_major

No! if Freeman's here then at least we have a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Naos wrote: »
    Well it's official. We are fcuked :(

Sigh...

So what if he ends up in another dimension. We'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

No! if Freeman's here then at least we have a chance

Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and... shine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

Naos wrote: »

I like that pic...

Scientistguy1: So how safe is thing?

Scientistguy2: Absolutely foolproof, why do you ask?

Scientistguy1: Well a lot of people around the world are concerned that it may well create an unstoppable black hole which could completely consume the planet in a matter of seconds...... we really should be seen to be taking some safety measures at least...shouldnt we?

Scientistguy2: .....erm....right, you have a point....LADS!! GET THE HARD HATS!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

So yeah,Tesco hasn't been swallowed by a black hole,and i see no NEW interdimensional beasties. Meh :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Well, maybe it did go wrong and we are all dead but it was so sudden and such a shock that nobody has realised it yet :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

OK admit it: who else is disappointed the world didn't end? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Nerin wrote: »
    So yeah,Tesco hasn't been swallowed by a black hole,and i see no NEW interdimensional beasties. Meh :(

I think a Morlock just walked past my desk.

Oh no wait, that was my boss...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

My disappointment has been cancelled out by my new ability to fly, using the power of my newly enhanced mind. I hope to Christ they don't turn the fucker off when I'm 20000 feet up. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kinda.
    I would have liked something to happen.

Black Mesa would have done

hit-it-crowbar.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'm disappointed at the lack of headcrabs. I was assured there would be headcrabs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

.... Well that was anti-climatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I think a Morlock just walked past my desk.

Oh no wait, that was my boss...

no New beasties ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

What a day peopl, all went unbelievably well! There was no hope of the world ending today anyways, the chance was when the collision occurs, and it wont happen, twas a woman botanist:cool: who made thatidea up:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

ME ME!! just cause i wanted to get out if work, yeah extreme but work was crap today. But im Finshed @ 6 and so not , to cut my pointless story sort no im not disappointed :p

I have a silly question..

What use is this exactly?

I mean, when they find out what they want to find out; what do they do with it?

Does it open the doors to new smaller/better technology? Does it bring us any closer to living like the Jetsons?

All i've heard is that it can destroy the world if it goes bad, but i haven't heard the positive effect it will have on us... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

All i've heard is that it can destroy the world if it goes bad, but i haven't heard the positive effect it will have on us... :confused:

Well if something does go wrong then poverty, famine and all diseases will be destroyed.
    See, the end of the world has some very positive aspects! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,180 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its already resulted in the grid which is a far more powerful network system than the internet. And it furthers our understanding of the universe...and from that my understanding would be that new technologies can be developed, theory, then appliance. And its really really cool.

and then there are these things

http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Research-Review/Magazine/1999/stories/story5.shtml

So basically furthering knowledge imo is reward itself

• Advertisement
Advertisement