Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The End is nigh!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Excellent stuff! So exactly who, out of the starving millions on the planet, will get a meal from this tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

A greater understanding of particles, which in the past has led to the development of chemo. Maybe more knowledge of the phenomena such as the big bang. I don't know any more, just saw someone say that on the tv this morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hagar wrote: »
    Excellent stuff! So exactly who, out of the starving millions on the planet, will get a meal from this tomorrow?

You haven't lived if you haven't had a self-cooking Higgs Boson-burger, heavy on the mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

It's Gonna cure cancer now Jaysus we should've built two:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yes indeed I forgot poverty and starvation would be eradicated were it not for all the money going towards the LHC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Dave! wrote: »
    Yes indeed I forgot poverty and starvation would be eradicated were it not for all the money going towards the LHC!

Military spending mightn't be a bad place to start.
    World military expenditure is estimated to have been $1339 billion in 2007—a real-terms increase of 6 per cent over 2006 and of 45 per cent since 1998. This corresponded to 2.5 per cent of world gross domestic product (GDP) and $202 for each person in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I have a silly question..

What use is this exactly?

I mean, when they find out what they want to find out; what do they do with it?

Does it open the doors to new smaller/better technology? Does it bring us any closer to living like the Jetsons?

All i've heard is that it can destroy the world if it goes bad, but i haven't heard the positive effect it will have on us... :confused:

It's the best kind of science, the one that is in the persuit of pure knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

When was this projects started by the way? I'm not talking about the time or anything, i never knew about this things until last week. They must of spent years making this thing underground so when was it started?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

I think it's taken 14 years to build.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Two questions in one.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

I hope they serve beer in hell...:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Has the LHC not got its own forum yet, no? There are enough threads about it. More than the mustard forum, but then, mustard....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

is_that_so wrote: »
    Military spending mightn't be a bad place to start.

Luckily this isn't a military project then..... yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

It would be great if this was like Half Life, And the US army go in and shoot everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

I saw an interview with a guy who said it could be used to cure cancer or something along those lines. No joke, it was on bbc news on wednesday morning.

/EDIT damn just saw the post at the top of this page :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Out of malicious curiosirty and devil's advocatism, what exactly what would we have witnessed had it gone/goes pear shaped?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Ask their governments where the money went. Not into the LHC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Out of malicious curiosirty and devil's advocatism, what exactly what would we have witnessed had it gone/goes pear shaped?

Not sure if they'd be able to spot it directly. More that the experiment wouldn't produce the expected output. After that, some earthquakes. Then worse ones. Then the planet would implode a bit to the sound of Walter L Wagner saying "I told y-".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Found some live webcams of the place - mad looking machinery...

LHC LiveCam

EDIT: ooooer....something seems to be up with it...few sparks coming from it there a few mins ago.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Naos wrote: »
    Well it's official. We are fcuked :(

Sigh...

I for one welcome our new Combine overlords

(That pic made me die a little inside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭Aodan83

Naos wrote: »
    Well it's official. We are fcuked :(

Sigh...
    That can't be a coincidence. Either he did that on purpose or we are as f*cked as the link suggests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Oh thats good. People who are against it are going to hack computers and make sure something DOES go wrong.

Really though.. €5,000,000,000 and someone can hack into it?

Bleh..

(did i use the right amount of 0's?)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Has the world ended yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Does it open the doors to new smaller/better technology? Does it bring us any closer to living like the Jetsons?

All i've heard is that it can destroy the world if it goes bad, but i haven't heard the positive effect it will have on us...

It was never going to destroy the world. That idea was put out there by one or two crackpots and lapped up by a scientifically illiterate media.

The benefits of fundamental research in physics aren't always immediately apparent, but more often than not it leads to new technologies in the future whether that was the intention or not. If the LHC experiments are successful (i.e they verify the existence of the subatomic particle called the Higgs Boson) that will not only be a big breakthrough in theoretical physics but will likely lead to future breakthroughs in technology aswell. Remember that most of our modern technology only exists because some mad physicists in the past did research that people of their time might have considered loony/bizarre/a waste of time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I like the fact Paddy Power were taking bets on the world ending. I can imagine some beraggled survivor stepping over rubble and corpses struggling to find a betting shop open so he could collect his winnings..

I find it ironic that the people that could destroy us all are supposedly the most peaceful.

Caderyn wrote: »
    I like the fact Paddy Power were taking bets on the world ending. I can imagine some beraggled survivor stepping over rubble and corpses struggling to find a betting shop open so he could collect his winnings..

What kind of odds are there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Caderyn wrote: »

there were probably people stupid enough to take that bet, if the world ended there would be no survivors so no payout under any circumstances :P

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there were probably people stupid enough to take that bet, if the world ended there would be no survivors so no payout under any circumstances :P
    Would never have guessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

Sorry to revive this thread (kinda). Thought if I made a new thread I'd be banned in a second.

Anyway:
    BHOPAL, India - A teenage girl in central India killed herself on Wednesday after being traumatized by media reports that a "Big Bang" experiment in Europe could bring about the end of the world, her father said.

Full Story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

rossie1977 wrote: »

No way!

Fcuk!

Never thought of that.

How stupid is that post?:pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Conor108 wrote: »
    Sorry to revive this thread (kinda). Thought if I made a new thread I'd be banned in a second.

Anyway:

Full Story

Darwin Award ftw

Conor108 wrote: »

Anyway:

Full Story
    Moron

Obviously didn't wanna be spaghettified!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Prof.Badass

all they did was a test run. They haven't done any collisions yet.

If this machine does destroy the world, it won't happen untill they do a collision.

vinylmesh wrote: »

If this machine does destroy the world, it won't happen untill they do a collision.
    I like your optimism!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The LHC needs more cowbell.

vinylmesh wrote: »

Sure, they could just practice using just about any single lane road and send two cars towards each other at max speed

collision = successful test.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

collision = successful test.

Only if you're in one of the cars :P

• Advertisement

Only if you're in one of the cars :P

and you're in the other :p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7616622.stm
    Part of the computer system of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was hacked into as the world's most powerful physics experiment got under way.

A group calling itself the "Greek Security Team" hacked into a computer connected to the system last Wednesday........

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

chin_grin wrote: »

I for one welcome our new....*******suuuuuuuuuuuucccccccckkkkkkkk****

-Message failed to execute-

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34068157/ns/technology_and_science-science/

They're only going to go and turn the universal death machine on again.
    Doomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

It;s on the Swiss/French border apparently. The French will be first to go....

I'd consider that reasonable karma.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

It will be fine, those French are quite handy...

pwhite587 wrote: »
    It;s on the Swiss/French border apparently. The French will be first to go....

I'd consider that reasonable karma.
    TomTom wrote: »
    It will be fine, those French are quite handy...

Didn't even take one post after the bump to get a dig in! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

particle smashing commences at 0600......enjoy your night ;)

By the way...all this end of the world ****e.....complete bollox. Although after reading some of the posts in this thread I kind of wish it wasn't

DigiGal wrote: »
    particle smashing commences at 0600......enjoy your night ;)

By the way...all this end of the world ****e.....complete bollox.

You won't be saying that when you're compressed into a singularity by evil science. Beware!! Repent!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭DigiGal

But...I wanna be spagettified :(:(

please

I will not be repenting.....I will be praising physics....Go Physics WOOT

Advertisement