Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Details ? For Homecoming ?

• 08-09-2008 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭

As stated anyone have details about tonight and the team's homecoming.

Time their expected ?
    Where the main stage is? The Quay or Ballybricken
    How far can we get in/near with road closing etc

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the quay is being closed from 5pm (there is a big digital sign on the bridge and I think it says 5pm). The main stage looks to be outside The Tower Hotel, as its all corned off and all the railings start from there and go down the quay.

Hope the crowd turn out in large numbers :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Hi Sully

Would you think I would be able to get on and off O Connell St after 6 no later than 7.30 ,
    Delivering something ,no parking needed.
    I would be coming for the Glen/ Ballybricken direction .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Sully wrote: »
    I think the quay is being closed from 5pm (there is a big digital sign on the bridge and I think it says 5pm). The main stage looks to be outside The Tower Hotel, as its all corned off and all the railings start from there and go down the quay.

Hope the crowd turn out in large numbers :)

The stage will be at the clock tower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

So what about us coming down on the 6pm train arriving at 7pm? I presume we'll be able to walk across the bridge yeah? Some joke the way all the trains are blocked up just for a match like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

KevIRL wrote: »
    The stage will be at the clock tower.

Oh right. Wonder what there doing outside the Tower then.. looked like an unusual place. Thanks Kev. :)

stick-dan: Get a taxi or walk it. As for the trains being blocked because of a "match" - I was under the impression all trains were running as per usual and there were no delays?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Team are arriving on the 6.35 train. people are asked not to cross the bridge, to stay on the quay.

They have a stage and big screen set up opposite the GPO. Looks well down there

Everyone please make an effort to turn up to welcome the lads home.

Up The Deise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,778 ✭✭✭✭JPA

What time will it all be reopened anyone know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

According to the AA website just the quays will be closed from 5-8 with traffic diverted via Bridge St and the bridge.

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/traffic/story.asp?id=96235

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Well... how did the homecoming go?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Fantastic, great credit to the city council for putting this on. They has 2 big screens set up with different cameras set up all along the quay and over in the train station too. We were able to watch the train coming into the station and see all the players getting off and then onto the open top bus.

The mayor of the city and deputy mayor of the county spoke along with Martin Cullen who gave a great speech about how proud he was and we all should be of Waterford.

Once the players came up along the quay, they were introduced one by one up on to the stage, where "Brick" Walsh and Davy Fitz spoke and thanked the many thousands for showing up to greet them home.

Well done to all concered for organising this and many thanks to the Waterford hurlers for giving us a summer to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭decies

Cullen sounded like a idiot about time he brought some jobs to the city:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

The whole evening was full of emotion. To say the lads have been disappointed is an understatement. Some of them said "Imagine if we did it" on the bus. The whole sense of disbelief at the turnout hit them as soon as they came across the bridge, tears came streaming from a lot of players. Photos will be up soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I couldn't go because of work commitments but fair play to anyone who did. Sure they got hammered off the field yesterday but they put a lot of hard work over the year to get to something no waterford team did in 45 years, plus they don't get paid for doing it.

Some from tonight. More on my Flickr page http://www.flickr.com/photos/kensutz

2840347595_8498b46f14.jpg

2841182588_934fbeab1a.jpg

2841184826_72d6b80350.jpg

2840349021_668d219d5b.jpg

2841192026_79dd27bf29.jpg

2840358743_3c3b7f94b2.jpg

2840359847_bc7651802f.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

I feel so sorry for them.. They have huge amounts of desire and determination, but I just don't see this generation beating the current Kilkenny generation. That photo of Mullane is one of the best I've seen in a long time. It captured what he was thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Ken... these are great. As a Deise woman living in Belfast who was there on Sunday I really wanted to be at home for the boys coming back. Unfortunately I couldn't get two days off work but it's great to see these. Well done to the boys and well done to the people of the Deise for giving them the homecoming they deserve! It's quite powerful to see the emotion of the players and you have done a great job in capturing it. Can't wait for the day we see your photos of Waterford as All Ireland Champions!

Excellent photos Ken, glad you managed to get yourself in! Really those photos portray how the players felt. Great to see a large crowd despite the weather (about 5 thousand short of the turnout in Kilkenny where it wasn't raining so im told) and I hear they played "Don't Start Believing" and "Simply the Best". The crowd brought a smile back to many players faces from when they came of the Train, to the Bus and seeing the crowd. Fair play to everyone for turning out.

Lets hope Davey works his magic and we can come back head held high fighting strongly to try get back to that final and be in with a good shot.

Don't Stop Believing - Up The Deise!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

Sully wrote: »
    Excellent photos Ken, glad you managed to get yourself in! Really those photos portray how the players felt. Great to see a large crowd despite the weather (about 5 thousand short of the turnout in Kilkenny where it wasn't raining so im told) and I hear they played "Don't Start Believing" and "Simply the Best". The crowd brought a smile back to many players faces from when they came of the Train, to the Bus and seeing the crowd. Fair play to everyone for turning out.

Lets hope Davey works his magic and we can come back head held high fighting strongly to try get back to that final and be in with a good shot.

Don't Stop Believing - Up The Deise!

You were told wrong. It was raining in KK too...and hasn't stopped since :mad:

From rte.ie:
    An estimated crowd of around 23,000 have turned up in Kilkenny tonight to welcome home the victorious county senior and minor hurlers.

The Kilkenny senior side made it three in a row on Sunday after a stunning 3-30 to 1-13 victory over Waterford.

The team arrived back in Kilkenny in McDonagh Station earlier this evening before boarding an open-top coach parade through the town.

Meanwhile in Waterford, an estimated crowd of around 14,000 were on hand to greet the defeated senior finalists on their return to the city.

mick_irl wrote: »
    You were told wrong. It was raining in KK too...and hasn't stopped since :mad:

Typical! Thanks for the heads up :) Its rotten in Tramore also.

*notes to fire Kilkenny sources*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Originally Posted by mick_irl
    You were told wrong. It was raining in KK too...and hasn't stopped since

Not that it matters, but it wasn't raining in the clip they showed on the 9 o'clock news of the Kilkenny team's homecoming!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

luvlylady wrote: »
    Not that it matters, but it wasn't raining in the clip they showed on the 9 o'clock news of the Kilkenny team's homecoming!

I just looked at the report on the RTE website and I could see a lot of umbrellas up in the crowd in Kilkenny. Wonder why? :pac:

Trust me, I was there. It was raining. I couldn't see a shagging thing on the stage cause of all the umbrellas up in front of me.

Thanks lads for the comments and I appreciate Sully leaving them inbedded i the thread because if it was just links some people might not have clicked on them.

The lads came off the train not knowing what to expect, all was normal getting on to the bus but as soon as we hit the crowds, the tears rained down. The players were absolutely overwhelmed and even myself had a lump in my throat to feel the disappointment they were feeling. To hear the support coming from the fans down below was unbelievable.

Inside city hall the players couldn't believe what was standing on the quay and said it gave them a massive lift and an extra incentive to go one better next year. We should thank them for all the effort they made over the year through good times and bad, also have a reason to get out in January/February and support them in the league etc. Don't forget about the club championships starting up and get along to a few games.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

A compilation put together by the munster express

Davy Fitz's Speech

Advertisement