Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sharing printer on 2 xp machines

• 08-09-2008 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

i have one desktop running xp,one laptop running xp...i want to share the printer between both whats the quickest way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

magicwand wrote: »
    i have one desktop running xp,one laptop running xp...i want to share the printer between both whats the quickest way to do this?
    Right click on the printer and pick sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭magicwand

do i need crossover cable or anything like that also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What is the printer model and how are you connection it to the computer, USB PARALLEL etc?

do i need crossover cable or anything like that also?
    Oh so they are not networked already.

Well you can use a crossover cable to connect the PC and laptop together and then share the printer that is installed on the PC with the laptop. Obviously the PC computer must always be on for the laptop to print to the printer.

The easier but more expensive way is to purchase a print server e.g. this for a USB printer. Then both machines use a normal network lead to plug into the switch and have access to the printer which is plugged into the same box via USB. Both can then use the printer even whilst the other is turned off.

You will have to setup static ip addresses on both machines when they are networked.

axer wrote: »
    Oh so they are not networked already.

Well you can use a crossover cable to connect the PC and laptop together and then share the printer that is installed on the PC with the laptop. Obviously the PC computer must always be on for the laptop to print to the printer.

The easier but more expensive way is to purchase a print server e.g. this for a USB printer. Then both machines use a normal network lead to plug into the switch and have access to the printer which is plugged into the same box via USB. Both can then use the printer even whilst the other is turned off.

You will have to setup static ip addresses on both machines when they are networked.

No not networked yet,should have said...will prob go the crossover cable route so,is it hard to set up static ip addresses?

• Advertisement

No not networked yet,should have said...will prob go the crossover cable route so,is it hard to set up static ip addresses?
    Not hard at all.

All explained here:

You dont need to know what the current IP address is like it says in the video since you dont have broadband (thus no router).

For PC1 use:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Blank
    DNS Server Addresses: Blank

For the Laptop use:
    IP Address: 192.168.1.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: Blank
    DNS Server Addresses: Blank

ok so one crossover cable from desktop to laptop and sharing enabled on both machines including static ip addresses on both should do the trick? thanks

ok so one crossover cable from desktop to laptop and sharing enabled on both machines including static ip addresses on both should do the trick? thanks
    yep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

No joy damn...

ONE more time, Printer make model and connection method?

MC

• Advertisement

ONE more time, Printer make model and connection method?

MC

Hi munstercycling sorry didnt get back to ya,dont know make and model its someone elses printer wont know until tomm,its usb connection though...

Open the start menu and go to run and type cmd, press enter, type ipconfig /all at the prompt, the result of which you will see on the screen check this on both machine to ensure you have set the static IPs correctly and that they are in the same subnet. Next check to see that both machines are in the same workgroup: right click my computer and select properties then change to computer name tab and look fir the workgroup name if they are different change them to be the same on both, you may need to reboot for this to take effect.

Next check the Windows firewall: in Control panel look for Windows Firewall (I use the classic style control panel so don't ask me what it is under in the grouped style) and under the exceptions tab ensure File and Printer Sharing is an exception (it should be there if you enabled sharing properly).

If no luck try disabling the Firewall for a little while and try again.

Hope this helps.

MC

Advertisement