Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Hip roof - leak on two ridges

• 08-09-2008 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Good morning,

I am in the middle of building an extension onto my bungalow.

It is a sunroom going onto a gable end of the existing house. The sunroom is 50p shape as the wife calls it - it has 4 hip rafters. The roof is tiled with flat quinn roof tiles and the hip ridge tiles are fixed using a bed of mortar.

The problem I am having is water is getting in between the mortar bed and the roof tiles on two of the hips - the mortar bed is not making a water proof seal - should it???

To add to the problem, due to the room design/dimensions, the two hips that are leaking are at an angle that lets rain water flow down the along the hip rather than away, it's nearly like a valley. Rather than a hip like this ^ it's like this /l

I think that due to expansion/contraction the bed of mortar is coming away from the roof tiles and cappilary action is drawing the water in.

How can this be solved?

Cheers,
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Your second line of defense in these situations is your felt and I cant understand why it would penetrate through this also. Any chance of posting a couple of pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭NovaGSi

It's not getting through the felt. I spotted the leaks because of damp patches on the exterior walls and the water is coming down from the soffets. On further investigation there is no support for the felt in the eves and water is gathering/welling in behind the facia in the felt - the water doesn't get to the gutter.

Anyway, when I called the roof tiler back about the leak he in his wisdom decided to cut the felt at the bottom of the hips - so there goes the second line of defence.

I'll try and get pictures up, I'm posting from work and it proves hard to host pictures/images.

Q.
    Should the mortar bed seal between the flat roof tile and the angled ridge tile?

Cheers,
    Mick

NovaGSi wrote: »
    It's not getting through the felt. I spotted the leaks because of damp patches on the exterior walls and the water is coming down from the soffets. On further investigation there is no support for the felt in the eves and water is gathering/welling in behind the facia in the felt - the water doesn't get to the gutter.

Anyway, when I called the roof tiler back about the leak he in his wisdom decided to cut the felt at the bottom of the hips - so there goes the second line of defence.

I'll try and get pictures up, I'm posting from work and it proves hard to host pictures/images.

Q.
    Should the mortar bed seal between the flat roof tile and the angled ridge tile?

Cheers,
    Mick

Joints are the weak point but all mortar bedding if done correctly should repel water ingress.

I think your roofer could possibly be cutting you short in more ways than one. Look at this detail (for slates but essentially the same for tiles) and then compare with your own as constructed.

That's what is missing, the tilting fillet.

If the underlay was done correctly I wouldn't have even known about the water getting in along the hip-ridge.

I have also noticed a lot of folds, creases and gatherings in the underlay - they look like potential pockets where water could gather and maybe find holes where the underlay has nails going throught it due to battens and fixing etc.

Any advice on sealing the mortar bed?

I will have to take off the hip ridge tiles again to rpair the underlay and the last two rows of tile to install a tilting fillet.

Cheers,
    Mick

Any more comments or opinions guys?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Advertisement

396.JPG

397.JPG

Please find attached pictures of the underlay in the eves.

Comments please??

Cheers,
    Mick

Hip01.JPG

Hip02.JPG

Please find attached pictures of the hip, it can be seen from the water marks that the rain water runs down the roof at the same angle as the hip/ridge tiles. The rain water is getting in between the roof tile and the mortar bed.

What do I do?

Cheers,
    MIck

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

take the ridge tiles off, install hip flashings (basically inverted valley flashing), incorporate tilting fillets and retile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Syd is right...
    You might also consider putting in a roll of bitumen felt over the tiling fillet.

All breathable felts are damaged by exposure to ultra violet rays causing damage. Fit a 500mm roll of bitumen felt, over the eaves UNDER the breatable felt. This bitumen felt will ensure wall falls into the gutter.

Maybe buy a roll of felt and cut it in half with an old saw.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    take the ridge tiles off, install hip flashings (basically inverted valley flashing), incorporate tilting fillets and retile.
    I think that about sums it up.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »

Good morning sydthebeat,

thanks for the info/help,
    are the hip flashings lead?
    are the hip flashings formed on-site?

does anyone have a drawing of how to incorporate the hip flashings into the hips?

Does anyone think the mortar bed is a bit heavy?

Thanks again for all the comments guys.

Cheers,
    Mick

I've tried google for a hip flashing design/layout sketch and had no luck. I've also looked in my copy of the HomeBond book and had no luck either.

Can someone do up a sketch to show how to used a hip flashing?

Cheers,
    Mick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭ballystephen

DO A SEARCH FOR Redland or lafarge and look up their dry hip detals.I had a similar roof and at the very apex i put a big bit of dampcourse under the mortared on hip tiles.Hope this makes sense
    Do it yourself.You can do it better

Ps.I used Camrian slates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Heatherview

Hi Novagsi
    I would agree with syd,for safety it would be better to do whole area and ensure no leaks again down at bottom. When you put in tilting fillet use a product called ruberfort eaves felt UV friendly ( made by Irish roofing felts) most building merchant wii stock.

Heatherview

Advertisement