Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locking head barriers

• 08-09-2008 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Anyone have opinions on self locking head barriers. I hope to fit barriers in the coming weeks and have mixed views on them so far. The will be used for a dairy and suckler herd. Are they useful for TB and Brucellosis testing, insemination etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Turbury

I fitted some to a new shed last year, left one bay with std diagonal barrier, ended up sending back the std barrier and replacing it with another h/l. I have suckler cows, the calves do not jump out through the h/l – which is brilliant because the silage does not get dirty. They are pricy and head space is slightly down by using them but they are handy. I have injected cows and AI ed one in them but it is a little awkward – better in the crush, good for calving – jacked out a calf one night with cow held in barrier, handy sometimes for feeding meal – stops bully cows pushing away others – overall I’d recommend them!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

Thanks for the reply.

I am going for all locking barriers, twelve in total. Probably wont make use of them all for a couple of years but figure it is probably best put them all in now.

Advertisement