Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost to replace leaking immersion tank

Options
  • 08-09-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭

I have been quoted €500 to have a leaking immersion tank replaced. Does that sound reasonable? The plumber says the existing joints appear to be intact so it must be the tank itself.
    Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Finneganjp

I priced this recently and if memory serves me right the standard insulated tank and immersion cost approx €190.00 for parts only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

Finneganjp wrote: »
    I priced this recently and if memory serves me right the standard insulated tank and immersion cost approx €190.00 for parts only.

That sounds about right. So out of the OP's quote that leaves €320 for the installation. The plumber will have to hire an electrician to do any necessary electrical connections for the immerser, since he is no longer allowed to do that himself, and it will take him a while to do the actual installation of the new tank, so in total, with his and the electrician's labour rates plus his purchasing charge for everything he has to buy, I'd guess that €500 is not too far off right.

What's more to the point is why is the tank leaking? I assume it's a standard copper sheet one with foam insulation? If so, it's pretty unusual for one to spring a leak anywhere but at the fittings unless something has damaged it, although I have known them (very rarely) to develop a leak at one of the two circumferencial seams. Generally any leak is indicated by the green verdigris stain it leaves. Might be worth looking for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Thanks for the replies.
    I don't know why it's leaking. The drip seems to be coming from the area where one of the pipes attaches to the cylinder but as I said the plumber has told me all the joints are OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Cylinders do leak ,mostly old ones though and occasionally newer ones aswell.

One common problem is the cylinder corrodes when installed directly onto cement. Also a thing called electrolysis or something ,causes green marks to occur ,eventually leaking.

Thanks.
    This one is maybe 10 to 15 years old and is installed on a little wooden plinth.
    Anyway it seems that 500 yoyos is not out of the ballpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

ART6 wrote: »
    The plumber will have to hire an electrician to do any necessary electrical connections for the immerser, since he is no longer allowed to do that himself

Is this a new law ? Could you provide a reference for this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

€500 is about the going rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

oleras wrote: »
    Is this a new law ? Could you provide a reference for this ?

Can't I'm afraid. I don't operate in the domestic electrical field so I don't have a reference to offer. However, I heard of it some time ago and was told then that it was a result of a new EU Directive. Basically, I was told, only registered electricians can do domestic electrical work, although it doesn't stretch to simple things like changing a plug. How it was written into Irish law I don't know, but I saw recently that in the UK it's enforced through Building Regs by local authorities.

Evidence of it here was when I had a new boiler installed at the beginning of the year. The plumber who fitted it had to employ an electrical contractor to connect it up -- a job I could have done myself in ten minutes had I had the time.

I don't have a list of the things that a DIYer can do, and being competent in industrial electrics I don't intend to bother myself with it too much.:rolleyes:

Plumber told me the same thing about the electrician (apparently not included in the 500 :rolleyes:)
    Thanks to all for the helpful info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭landydef

i think the electrical thing is implemented by www.reci.ie although as far as i know a registered gas installer can wire up anything to do with the heating side of it (stats,motorised valves,the boiler etc.)
    as 311 said electrolysis can occur, but can be prevented with a good earth on the pipework around the cylinder
    i dont think 500 quid is too bad of a price,cylinder change-overs can turn out to be an absolute nightmare sometimes

• Advertisement
Advertisement