Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

deffering/dropping out

Options
  • 08-09-2008 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I'm just starting 2nd Arts and would like to defer the year. Now, the thing is I've been told I'll probably not be granted one.

So if I have to drop out does anybody know if it is possible to resume the degree a year later (09/10) in stage 2? Or if I drop out is that it, I'l have to start 1st year again. I got 60 credits from 1st year and a good GPA, if that makes any difference.

I just keep getting fobbed off by admin' when I ask so thought I'd pose the question to you guys. Time is of the essence here for severel reasons so any info at all would be great.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 testybits

partB wrote: »
    Hi, I'm just starting 2nd Arts and would like to defer the year. Now, the thing is I've been told I'll probably not be granted one.

So if I have to drop out does anybody know if it is possible to resume the degree a year later (09/10) in stage 2? Or if I drop out is that it, I'l have to start 1st year again. I got 60 credits from 1st year and a good GPA, if that makes any difference.

I just keep getting fobbed off by admin' when I ask so thought I'd pose the question to you guys. Time is of the essence here for severel reasons so any info at all would be great.:)

I'm pretty sure those decisions are run by a programme board when you apply for re-entry. Not much on the website as far as I can see except that the deadline for applying is early July preceeding entry. See re-entry section here: https://myucd.ucd.ie/programme_info/transfer.ezc

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I was able to get a deferral last year the week before the start of term. Try asking your program office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Who told you that you'll probs not be able to? If it wasn't the programme office, then contact them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 partB

Thanks for the replies. That bit of info' (early July) was all I could find aswell after searching the site plus several trips to the programme office and the Tierney building. They actually printed out that same link for me in Tierny.

I've finaly been told (after alot of running around) I won't be granted a deferal so the only option available if I am going to leave is to drop out.

The reason I can't get the defferel is I'l be enroled in another education institute and I can't be registered in 2 3rd level places at once. I've a once off oppertunity this year to go to this other institute but its not for an actual degree, just a really valueable educational experience. I don't fancy starting 1st year again next year as it would mean It'l take 5 years in college(s) to get an undergraduate in Arts:(

Anyone know the likelyhood of being allowed re-enter or know somwbody who has. I know of one person who tried but failed.
    Thanks again.

Advertisement