Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Topshop Stephen's Green

Options
  • 08-09-2008 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Girls!

Have you noticed that the Euro equivalent on the price tags in Topshop in no way equates the sterling price? They did in the past when the Euro was a lot weaker, but Topshop have done nothing to update their pricing system. It absolutely infuriates me!

I don't want to bother complaining to the manager as I would prefer to take it up with their head office. However, I can't find any address to write to about the matter.

Let me know your thoughts.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

sigh,
    different tax rates, shipping etc
    use the search function and this is all explained 100's of times before

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Cabaal wrote: »
    sigh,
    different tax rates, shipping etc
    use the search function and this is all explained 100's of times before

bullpoop;why does it cost more to ship to Dublin than Belfast?they and many others are taking the piss when it comes to exvchange rates-they're at the lowest they've been in years and yet they decide that £80 is the same as E120??no way hose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

bullpoop;why does it cost more to ship to Dublin than Belfast?they and many others are taking the piss when it comes to exvchange rates-they're at the lowest they've been in years and yet they decide that £80 is the same as E120??no way hose...

ARRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHH ..... Same across Europe ffs, how is Ireland special ???

Different Markets, different customers.

If you don't like it then GO BUY IT SOMEPLACE ELSE.. or else GO TO THE UK AND BUY IT IN STERLING.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

bullpoop;why does it cost more to ship to Dublin than Belfast?
    Because Belfast is in the UK and not Ireland. Thus distributors, when signing agreements, will include Belfast in the UK price and up it for Ireland. They don't sign agreements on a city-by-city basis, but on a national basis. Distributors see Belfast as part of the UK nation for these purposes.
    hey and many others are taking the piss when it comes to exvchange rates-they're at the lowest they've been in years and yet they decide that £80 is the same as E120??no way hose...

It's not just the exchange rate that matters but the overheads. Our VAT rate is higher than the UK's. Our minimum wages are higher. Our costs of electricity are higher. Our rents, particularly on Grafton Street, are higher.

Finally, we're richer than Nordies, so we're willing to pay more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

hmm,nope don't buy it!Topshop sell cotton vest for £14 and somehow convert that to E15??how is it they don't mind making a loss on those items but will charge massive rates on others?no consistency!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do what i've started doing:

Try the clothes on in the shop, then go to topshop.com and order online, pay in sterling, £5 delivery to Ireland.
    GBA wrote: »
    Girls!

Have you noticed that the Euro equivalent on the price tags in Topshop in no way equates the sterling price? They did in the past when the Euro was a lot weaker, but Topshop have done nothing to update their pricing system. It absolutely infuriates me!

I don't want to bother complaining to the manager as I would prefer to take it up with their head office. However, I can't find any address to write to about the matter.

Let me know your thoughts.

It could be in rupees for all it matters.
    Jack and Jones for example always has a price difference between Holland, Germany, Ireland and the UK.

Ireland is .. not .. special. Just because they happen to use Sterling doesn't make any difference. Dell have the same thing when buying in different regions.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eth0_ wrote: »
    Do what i've started doing:

Try the clothes on in the shop, then go to topshop.com and order online, pay in sterling, £5 delivery to Ireland.

that makes perfect sense, there's somebody using their head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

that makes perfect sense, there's somebody using their head :)

Exactly!!
    Either do that or go up to newry/belfast/enniskillen and do yuor shopping there cos the two prices on the tags will never ever match up no matter who you talk to or complain to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 GBA

I suppose, it just pisses me off that we're treated like idiots. Why don't they just use the Euro price and we'd be none the wiser...

• Advertisement

Plus, I would like to buy the item then and there! Is that a lot to ask??

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I suppose, it just pisses me off that we're treated like idiots. Why don't they just use the Euro price and we'd be none the wiser...

Because then they would have to start tagging everythign differently and individually for each side of the borde (more costs).

The items are tagged well before they hit the shelves so as well as priceing for the more expensive market (costs are higher in Ireland, just taking minimum wage, ours is 25% more than the uk) they are going to put a price on it that allows for currency fluctuations( we are doing well currency wise now but who's to say it wont take a massiv enosedive at some stage making the € pretty much worthless against sterling and if it does I bet there will be a sharpe decline in the trips to Newry).

GET OVER IT.

because i have some principles. i do apologise...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Go in to local bank, buy STG£80 and hand it in to the shop... see what happens! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

We are idiots. People throw out money all sides (at least used to - starting to change slowly). People never used to look at prices and tip when being ripped off - what message does that give?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Apparently even if they accept sterling they'll do it by converting the Euro price to a higher sterling value than the UK Sterling value printed on the ticket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Vote with your wallet. Shop somewhere else.

i know, i have been avoiding it. it's just a shame, because like many girls i really like the shop. goddamit!

because i have some principles. i do apologise...

What have principles got to do with it?!?!

You clearly have NO idea about the economy and how retail organisations work!

Topshops collections are created and priced months before they end up in the stores. The exchange rate fluctuates. Topshop have to take this into account. If they had to create a pricing structure and price tags exclusively for Ireland, the prices would go up substantially as it would involve more accountants, changes to their EPOS software, and creating euro only price tags.

I'm sure at times Topshop and other retail stores take a hit when the exchange rate fluctuates to the extent it has right now with Euro Vs Sterling.

I have given you a solution - buy off topshop.com and pay in sterling. You ignoring me, choosing instead to continue whinging about Topshop when they are doing *nothing* wrong.

• Advertisement

Red Alert wrote: »
    Apparently even if they accept sterling they'll do it by converting the Euro price to a higher sterling value than the UK Sterling value printed on the ticket!

They wouldn't accept sterling in their Dublin stores...why should they?

Buy online. Pay in sterling. Save money. Quit whinging when there is an easy alternative (and a better range!) online.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wow.....way for everyone to miss the point! The OP is not complaining that items here should be priced at the exact euro equivalent of the sterling but that sterling has been hugely weaker (than the 'traditional' 1:1.50 rate) for many months now with no corresponding reduction in the euro price, i.e. the shops are now taking a higher margin on these items in ROI rather than passing on the rate drop. And I don't for a second buy the 'priced months ago blah blah blah' bull - we've been hearing it for years now and it's just too damn convenient that it's always in the retailer's favour. I have no experience with Topshop but in my experience Debenham's particulary take the proverbial; £30 = €47 (even €50 on some recent items)....I don't think so. Used always shop there but no more....

I have no experience with Topshop but in my experience Debenham's particulary take the proverbial; £30 = €47 (even €50 on some recent items)....I don't think so.
    Then again do they not say "UK" underneath the £30 and something like "Rep. of Ireland" underneath the €47? Are they really giving a currency conversion rate or a market conversion rate. It sounds like the latter to me which is what they are entitled to do. People are obviously willing to pay the prices thus those shops don't see a reason to change.
    Used always shop there but no more....
    The best way to deal with the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Lads, people from Kerry always talk about "Dublin prices" for this, that and the other.

This is the same thing. Higher costs + people willing to pay more = Higher prices.

Wow.....way for everyone to miss the point! The OP is not complaining that items here should be priced at the exact euro equivalent of the sterling but that sterling has been hugely weaker (than the 'traditional' 1:1.50 rate) for many months now with no corresponding reduction in the euro price, i.e. the shops are now taking a higher margin on these items in ROI rather than passing on the rate drop. And I don't for a second buy the 'priced months ago blah blah blah' bull - we've been hearing it for years now and it's just too damn convenient that it's always in the retailer's favour. I have no experience with Topshop but in my experience Debenham's particulary take the proverbial; £30 = €47 (even €50 on some recent items)....I don't think so. Used always shop there but no more....

The point is I can walk into Jack and Jones in amsterdam and look at a price tag. NL could be 80 Euros and IRL could be 70 Euros. the GB price can be lower or higher.

So wtf has a price being in Sterling got to do with anything

craichoe wrote: »
    So wtf has a price being in Sterling got to do with anything

You're still not getting it. The problem is not with them charging more in ROI but them increasing their profit margin here by not passing on decreases in their costs here. The point (and it's really not that hard to grasp) is that Debenham's (and Topshop?) are UK companies who presumably centralise purchasing in the UK, i.e. they buy in sterling. By not passing on the rate decrease they are increasing their profit margin at the expense of the Irish consumer. Take the Debenham's example:

Shirt / whatever, priced £30/€47.

Sept 2007: cost to Debenham's = (say) £25 = €37.50. Sell at €47. Profit = €9.50. Profit margin = 20%.

Sept 2008: cost to Debenham's = £25 = €31.20. Sell at €47. Profit = €15.80. Profit margin = 33.6%.

The cost to them has remained stable in sterling which means that the equivalent euro price has decreased - but they keep the price the same and pocket the difference!

You're still not getting it. The problem is not with them charging more in ROI but them increasing their profit margin here by not passing on decreases in their costs here. The point (and it's really not that hard to grasp) is that Debenham's (and Topshop?) are UK companies who presumably centralise purchasing in the UK, i.e. they buy in sterling. By not passing on the rate decrease they are increasing their profit margin at the expense of the Irish consumer. Take the Debenham's example:

Shirt / whatever, priced £30/€47.

Sept 2007: cost to Debenham's = (say) £25 = €37.50. Sell at €47. Profit = €9.50. Profit margin = 20%.

Sept 2008: cost to Debenham's = £25 = €31.20. Sell at €47. Profit = €15.80. Profit margin = 33.6%.

The cost to them has remained stable in sterling which means that the equivalent euro price has decreased - but they keep the price the same and pocket the difference!
    You are not taking into account the higher costs in Ireland and VAT differences thus your example is flawed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It is obviously working though as the shop is still there.
    Plus, I would like to buy the item then and there! Is that a lot to ask??
    And you can as well, the shop is there for you to buy it at the offered price. If you don't like the price you get to go some where else, how is this something hard to understand? If I go into HMV and point out that in China the DVD cost 1 USD do you think HMV should go, oh well then, here you go for the price of 0.75 Euro because it is cheaper some where else?
    A company asking for a higher profit on a small low competition market? You surely jest!

You're still not getting it. [/I]

You've used the search function right?
    If your still not getting it then I don't think anyone can help explain this to you

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    You are not taking into account the higher costs in Ireland and VAT differences thus your example is flawed.
    You've used the search function right?
    If your still not getting it then I don't think anyone can help explain this to you

I despair really. Is it really that hard to grasp such a simple concept??!!......VAT in Ireland is the same this year as last year! Their costs have not suddenly significantly increased here! The products are now costing them less to supply than last year but they still charge the same price - i.e. they have increased their profit margin at our expense.

A P.S. for those who (yet again) can't read: the problem is not with a higher price here, but retailers taking advantage of currency fluctuations to make off like bandits!

Advertisement