Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year old playing football

Options
  • 08-09-2008 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

My 4 year old son has just started school.

He loves playing football - so we want to get him started. We are based in Firhouse.

Does anyone know is he too youg?

And if there are teams for this age - where?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I think Templeogue Utd. take children from 4 up. They're located in behind St. Judes GAA just beside the Spawell there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭shaz00

im not from your area but no 4 is not too young most towns around my area have under 6 clubs and start from three and half to four! let him at it if he enjoys it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭jake59

shaz00 wrote: »
    im not from your area but no 4 is not too young most towns around my area have under 6 clubs and start from three and half to four! let him at it if he enjoys it!!

at 4 years of age he should be trying things out himself with a football and playing amongst his friends. as Mr. Giles himself says, he learnt all his tricks and how to play football on the streets. There is plenty of time to put him into a structured team. maybe try him out next summer at a samba soccer or fai camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

dont know about your area, all i know is when we tried to get our little lad involved in it they told us the age to start was 5, or once they start school. Id love to find some where that does under 5 football, its nice just to let them kick a ball around even if they dont "get the idea".

at four years of age how structured do u think it is! :-) its the idea of getting a new group of friends and letting them have a kick around - great for the parents too to interact and get to know new people.

• Advertisement

jake59 wrote: »
    at 4 years of age he should be trying things out himself with a football and playing amongst his friends. as Mr. Giles himself says, he learnt all his tricks and how to play football on the streets. There is plenty of time to put him into a structured team. maybe try him out next summer at a samba soccer or fai camp

at four years of age how structured do u think it is! :-) its the idea of getting a new group of friends and letting them have a kick around - great for the parents too to interact and get to know new people.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

In the Finglas area, i think its 5 but its a brilliant thing to get him into. If you contact your local community centre or resource centre, they will be able to give you all the details of the local club but the seaon will be kind of finishing up now for the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Hi OP, I think a lot of under 7 teams will look at 5 year olds and up.

Shamrock Rovers schoolboys run an academy for kids from 5 and up. Nothing too serious, but could be a good way for your boy to get started. Rovers will be based in Tallaght village next year, with good facilities also in Kiltipper. Both pretty close to you. Might be something to think about for your boy next year.

You can get info here: schoolboys@shamrockrovers.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think its because a lot of 4yrs old may have the interest, but not the concentration to be trained for 40 minutes, or abide by many or even any rules. Our local team lets you try them at 4. But its obviously from watching them, that its too early for abut 50% of them. The others I'm looking at I would guess are 5 and/or far more interested in football, even at that age. (already mouthy etc) As they are far more focused than the others. I've one about that age and while he can play football quite well hes really not that bothered. He just started, and I don't want to push him too hard, as it will get his back up, and I'd like him to want to go. Some kids only really get into it when they get a little older like 7 or 8. We've a baby almost walking and its obviously hes far more interested in hitting a ball and chasing it then the older guy.

Advertisement