Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked

Options
  • 08-09-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭

It's definitely one of the most popular musicals at the moment so I feel it deserves its own thread.

I saw it in London with Idina Menzel as Elphaba. It was definitely one of the best shows I have ever seen and the score is just amazing!

So who else here has seen it? And what are everyone's favourite songs?

I'm in love with this one...

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Really want to see this...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

You and me both DooM. I know the soundtrack inside out and back to front and I know the storyline but I still haven't managed to get to either London or New York. Damn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tarvismike

I saw it last week in London. My first time seeing a musical. It was just fantastic; the effects, acting, singing, music... it was all brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Would love to see this as well. Wanted to check it out last time I was in London but twas sold out, bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i wanted to go see it with my stage school last year but unfortuntly was going to south africa a month before it and wasnt allowed do both.i will see it someday.
    i adore defying gravity and often have my own attempts in the bath..thankfully only the rubber duckies have to put up with me trying it.i think populars a really fun song though.so catchy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

This is seriously one of the best musicals ever. Iv seen it twice now, in London. Its amazing! Iv seen Kerry Ellis and Alexia Khadime as Elphaba, but i would love to see Idina Menzel, from what iv seen of her on youtube, she seems incredible! And of course her singing on the Cast Recording is class!

My favourite songs are The Wizard and I, Defying Gravity, As long as your mine, Popular, For Good....ok the list is endless!

I got the score the other day so im trying to play some of the tunes on piano atm!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

oh niamh id say theu sound deadly on the paino!!
    hows it going with them?

Niamh For Good is the prettiest and the easiest. Oh it's so beautiful. I forced my school to use it for our graduation song. So pretty.

Defying Gravity, by jebus, so many bloody key changes! And all horrid keys if you have the book I have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Has anyone actually read the book? As in, the Gregory Maguire book, not the libretto???

I read it a few years ago before I ever got in to the musical and I have to say, it's one of the more bizarre novels I've ever read. It's very dark and not at all child (or even teen) friendly. For example:

-
    The Time Dragon shows the munchkins some very explicit scenes

- Nessarose has no arms, and she's as pink as Elphaba is green

- While at Shiz, Elphaba, Galinda, Fiyero and several others go to a place called the Philosophy Club, where one of their friends has sex with a Tiger

- Madame Morrible has Dr. Dillamond murdered. It's this that spurs Galinda to change the pronunciation of her name.

- Fiyero is married to a different character altogether (Sarima), but has an affair with Elphaba. Oh, and his body is covered in blue diamond tattoos. When he's murdered, Elphaba goes to live with his wife and kids in his castle.

- She kills one of his kids

- Elphaba does, in fact, die at the end of the book after Dorothy throws the water over her.

- Nessarose's slippers are actually made of silver glass beads, not rubies

So, as you can see, it differs in some major ways from the show!

Bah! Guys if use spoiler tags for any plot points that could be considered in anyway important or surprising or basically in the show/book at all.

I'm only halfway through that book Honey and I now know the important parts... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Has anyone actually read the book? As in, the Gregory Maguire book, not the libretto???

I read it a few years ago before I ever got in to the musical and I have to say, it's one of the more bizarre novels I've ever read. It's very dark and not at all child (or even teen) friendly.

Yes I adored it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wicked_(novel)
    - Nessarose's slippers are actually made of silver glass beads, not rubies

So, as you can see, it differs in some major ways from the show!

But it is more true to Frank L. Baum's books then the movie adaptation was.
    The books are not the happy kids storys, the are complex and dark.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Oz_books

In the books the slippers are sliver they were made 'ruby red' to exploit the fact the movie was being shot part in colour and so people had a field day saying the were a symbol of Dorothy starting to bleed from the crotch and leaving childhood behind which is rubbish.

fonpokno wrote: »
    Bah! Guys if use spoiler tags for any plot points that could be considered in anyway important or surprising or basically in the show/book at all.

I'm only halfway through that book Honey and I now know the important parts... :(

Only one of mine was a show spoiler and I used the tags.

I wouldn't consider any of them book spoilers - they're just plot parts, not massive twists.

Only one of mine was a show spoiler and I used the tags.

I wouldn't consider any of them book spoilers - they're just plot parts, not massive twists.

Perhaps you wouldn't but I would. I for instance didn't know that
    Fiyero is murdered or that Elphaba moves in with his children and kills one of them
    . They're pretty important in the direction of the story imo.

In your opinion they're not book spoilers, but in my case they were. I'd just appreciate if you gave others the opportunity to read the book if they so wish and discover the differences themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

In your opinion they're not book spoilers, but in my case they were. I'd just appreciate if you gave others the opportunity to read the book if they so wish and discover the differences themselves.

She did....the spoilers were clearly marked SPOILER and were illegible unless the reader highlighted the text.

If the reader wanted to dicover the difference themselves, they dont need to highlight the spoiler!

lilmizzme wrote: »
    She did....the spoilers were clearly marked SPOILER and were illegible unless the reader highlighted the text.

If the reader wanted to dicover the difference themselves, they dont need to highlight the spoiler!

Actually, I only had one spoiler in it - the rest was mod-edited.

In fairness, though, I have never once seen a spoiler that I didn't read!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

I love Wicked!! I won tickets to see it in Chicago whe I was there in 2006. I went down to buy tickets for the matinee but they were sold out, but you can put your name in a hat and a draw takes place later that day. We went back and we were the first pulled out!! We had front row seats!!

I love the music as well. I was obsessed after I saw the musical and knew the cd off by heart within a week! I love Im Not that Girl and the reprise to it. I think Defying Gravity is just amazing, absolutely stunning.

I will definitely go see it the next time I am in London

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i saw it on broadway

it was win.

oh niamh id say theu sound deadly on the paino!!
    hows it going with them?

I havent mastered any of em, but i can attempt most of them! But some are pretty tricky....with loads of key changes and the like!

Yep about For Good does is pretty alright, im not the best at it though!
    I always get fed up of trying to figure out the proper music and end up playing melody and the basic chords.

About the book, i bought it after seeing the show...and woah i got a big shock! its so much more heavy and quite different from the show! But of course a great piece of writing, but not really something i would really enjoy reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ickymax

I have yet to see the show, but i am hoping to go see it during Christmas with a few friends, yayy!

I have a friend who was studying musical theatre in America for a year with the Young Americans(Amazing folk really) and she got to meet the entire broadway cast of wicked and she got to work with the broadway casts of Les Mis and (slightly less impressive . . ) Riverdance. Lucky girl I must say!

The score is really hard, I can't play anything. I did learn to play the first few chords to Defying Gravity! but I mean, how could I not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Have seen it twice,once in New York and then in London a month later!am obsessed with it,first heard about it when my brother came back from a trip to New York having seen it and he was raving about it( and he doesn't like musicals at all).so saw the CD in Tower one day,bought it and the rest is history!what does anyone think of the rumoured upcoming film version?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭Karen_*

Have to say it looks fabulous!!! Would be cool to get a boards trip to see it! *dreams*

Just wondering for those who have seen wicked in london, have any of you waited in line for tickets in the morning to get front row seats as im aware they keep something like 25 seats free?

id love to try do it sometime! just wondering what time would you have to get there at etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

I'm going to see it next weekend and I just can't wait.

I've seen Alexia Khadime as Nala in the Lion King and she was amazing, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her.

My dream would be to see Idina Menzel as Elphaba, I think she's amazing.

I'm soooo excited :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

It's definitely one of the most popular musicals at the moment so I feel it deserves its own thread.

I saw it in London with Idina Menzel as Elphaba. It was definitely one of the best shows I have ever seen and the score is just amazing!

So who else here has seen it? And what are everyone's favourite songs?
    You saw Idina Menzel? Oh I'm so jealous!

I can't wait til December when Kerry Ellis is back in the West End... I think I'll go then :D

I think my favourite (non Idina) Elphaba has to be either Shoshanna Bean or Stephanie J Block. I love Stephanie with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭leavo08

heyy! Ive seen wicked twice in the West End now..its my favourite musical right now I love it..Idina and Cristin are the best! I saw Idina perform during her last week in london..she was absolutely fantastic. I saw a clip from when she performed with her husband as Fererro, he isnt the best singer, but its just so cute you can tell she really means what she is singing to him!
    I sang Popular and Im not that girl for my leaving cert music exams, but my favourite songs from wicked are "as long as your mine" and "for good"..depending on my mood!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

misslt wrote: »
    I'm going to see it next weekend and I just can't wait.

I've seen Alexia Khadime as Nala in the Lion King and she was amazing, so I'm really looking forward to seeing her.

My dream would be to see Idina Menzel as Elphaba, I think she's amazing.

I'm soooo excited :)

She's so so so good. Except the night I saw her she hit a bit of a bum note at the end of 'I'm Not that Girl'. But I won't hold that against her. Defying Gravity was such an amazing number.
    You saw Idina Menzel? Oh I'm so jealous!

I can't wait til December when Kerry Ellis is back in the West End... I think I'll go then :D

And so you should be. She's marvelous. :D

I wanna go see this again. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

i cant believe i havent found this forum before...

i'm mad for the aul musicals but unfortunately my talents arent in singing or dancing :( !!

i've been to Wicked twice, once in London with Idina as Elphaba and then last year in Broadway where i got FRONT ROW TICKETS!!!!!! savage

i was also at Avenue Q on Broadway and the i saw hairspray in San Francisco on the national tour.

add to that about 10 Rocky Horrors betwen Dublin & San Fran and thats about all i've seen

i wanna head back over to London soon to see Wicked again... its unreal!

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

She's so so so good. Except the night I saw her she hit a bit of a bum note at the end of 'I'm Not that Girl'. But I won't hold that against her. Defying Gravity was such an amazing number.

She wasn't on, it was Ashleigh Gray, but she was unbelievable as well.

It's definitely the best musical I've ever seen, I'd go to it again in a heartbeat. I'm working on going again before Christmas, watch this space :)

Advertisement