Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭sambora

Wicked is by far my favourite Musical I've ever seen and Im pretty much a musical whore! I think Kerry Ellis is the best Elphaba

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just found out my parents are going to see Wicked in Chicago at the weekend.

I HATE THEM!!!!

Grrrr.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 fergusm76

I went to see it with my bf back in March. We were 9 rows from the front!!! I could actually see their faces clearly. I knew all the songs before I went, and lots of YouTube watching, but it was more magical seeing it live. Pity it wasn't Idina and Kristin.

Awesome musical and awesome weekend in London (we also saw Phantom of the Opera the same day!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I think I might be going to see this in December! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

No fonpokno, you are going to see it in December! Yay! Wicked for the second time! I cant wait to come back and gloat that I shall have seen it twice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Am I the only one who's not the biggest Kristin Chenoweth fan? I kinda think she's a bit "musically". That's not a good description but I can't think of another way to put it.

Anyway, yeah, amazing show. Alexia Khadime is actually class.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's not the biggest Kristin Chenoweth fan? I kinda think she's a bit "musically". That's not a good description but I can't think of another way to put it.

Her voice used to drive me mad when I first got the soundtrack but I'm kinda immune to it now. She is kinda nasal and squeaky and I can't describe it... But she's a great actress really (she used to be in The West Wing and I loved her in that!) and I think Glinda needs to be more of an actress than Elphaba.

Then again I haven't actually seen the musical live! So what do I know! :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

So want to see it live - the song Defying Gravity is just stuck in my head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's not the biggest Kristin Chenoweth fan?

Nope, she gets on my nerves big-time. At the start of "One Short Day" when she goes "Hee, I've always wanted to see the Emerald City!", I have to physically restrain myself from hitting something.

She also sang "Happy Little Working Song" from Enchanted at the Oscars last year, and her voice went through my head at that too.

I saw Kendra Kassebaum as Galinda on Broadway in May and she was absolutely flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭phoebe!

Saw Wicked in NY in May. Scored front row tickets!! It was amazing. They didn't need their mics we were so close! I would definitely go see it again. The music is so young and fresh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

JP Liz wrote: »

It could be another 8 years for it to come according to some people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

it was mentioned on wikipedia during the summer but i see all references to it have disappeared now...

adam

JP Liz wrote: »

Yeah I heard about that about 2 years ago. I'd love to see that. :) God knows what it'd be like though.

What I'd be worried about would be the likes of what they did with Moulin Rouge and stuff sacrificing the vocals for the big stars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Niamh-17 wrote: »
    Just wondering for those who have seen wicked in london, have any of you waited in line for tickets in the morning to get front row seats as im aware they keep something like 25 seats free?

id love to try do it sometime! just wondering what time would you have to get there at etc

Yeah, they keep the entire front row free! And it costs like 25 pounds or so - much cheaper than the 70 odd my sister spent on me the second time I saw it!

I was there (at the door) at 10 (when they opened) on a Monday, and it was a pretty big queue. I only got a front row seat because I was on my own (that sounds pretty bad, but it was totally worth it :p). I'd say if I'd been there around 9 i'd have gotten one in the middle...

The front row seats are AMAZING! I could see every expression, I could see the outfits in detail and the sound was just... wow. I saw it again (with two 8-year olds and two 6 year olds, which may have been the problem) and it wasn't half as good, despite the seats being 'prime seats'. It's so much more arresting when you're close up.

Also, when I was there the first time, there were two girls who had slept outside the theatre for the five preceeding nights to get front row seats... talk about dedication...

As for the show itself: pure musical heaven. I knew every word off by heart, but the actual action of the musical is so gripping. I loved it! Popular, What is this Feeling and Defying Gravity were excellent though No Good Deed (while still sounding excellent) was a little... slow... onstage. But no matter. I loved it. Also Fiyero is very sweet. I saw Alexia (is that her name?) play Elphaba - she was astounding. And I quite like their Glinda - great comic timing. I don't think Nessarose can be good - her part is so disgusting... I have to say though, the first time (on the Monday, front row) was definitely, without a doubt, better than the second time!

whew... that was quite a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    I don't think Nessarose can be good - her part is so disgusting...

Must disagree 100%. Have seen the show 8 times in 4 different cities and Nessarose has stolen the show on more than one occasion. Her song is the only one not on the CD so it can take you by surprise. Not keen on the current London one but her predecessor was amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Caoimhe89 wrote: »
    I don't think Nessarose can be good - her part is so disgusting...

What does that even mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

Well, maybe it's just me... but I really really dislike the one I've seen in London. So maybe that's colouring my opinion of Nessarose's part :o... I quite like her song, but I dislike the character...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

wicked was the first professional production of a musical i ever saw and it was amazing. alexia khadime was brilliant. she had shivers going down my spine during defying gravity. which happens to now be my favourite song. anyone who hasn't seen it, get yourself on a ryanair flight to london.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Niamh-17

Thanks a million Caoimhe89! you must have been delighted at getting a front row seat! I have seen wicked twice before and love it so much, so id love the chance to sit in the front row!

When i go to shows in London, i usually go to matinee performances, would you know what time you would need to queue to get a front row seat for a matinee performance?

• Advertisement

It depends on the time of year and how many tickets you want, I think you can get 2 at a time. Full info on the Wicked London page on www.theatremonkey.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭ger34

Did you get to see Wicked last Dec?
    We are going to london next weekend and thought we might go.Was wondering about the 30 pound seats?

Don't do it!!! You miss the magic of the show from the cheap seats! I saw Wicked in NYC first and then when I went to London I was with a group of people who didn't want to pay full price - and then spent the entire show moaning about how crap the £30 seats were. Of course they were, they were half the price of the good seats!

I've been all over the theatre as I've seen it 5 times in London and it definitely is worth paying the £60 for the best experience.

An update, I saw my 9th production of Wicked in Chicago last week - and hated Nessarose!! Wonder if it's because of the talk on here or just the actress. Didn't rate Elphaba either but Glinda was AMAZING, the best I've ever seen. The Wizard and Madame Morrible were fab too!

I'm going to New York in the 25th of February and hopefully seeing Wicked on the 26th!

Waaaahhhh!!!!!! :D \o/

Edit: yep, tickets are booked!

I've never been so excited. *dances*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fonpokno wrote: »
    I'm going to New York in the 25th of February and hopefully seeing Wicked on the 26th!

Jealous :(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how much were the tickets?

how much were the tickets?

$110 each or so. Got them with ticketmaster. We would've done the whole getting them cheap at the TKTS place but the folks figured we may as well guarantee ourselves good seats!

$110 each or so. Got them with ticketmaster. We would've done the whole getting them cheap at the TKTS place but the folks figured we may as well guarantee ourselves good seats!

Actually you couldn't. They don't sell Wicked tickets at TKTS.

If you want a real Wicked experience, I also recommend the official Behind the Emerald Curtain tour. It's about $25 per person, and I think only runs on Saturday mornings but it's a great insight into just what it takes to bring the show to life.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I've heard about that tour. I'd love to do it but I don't think my parents could cope with the Wicked overload!

Advertisement