Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicked

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Why not send them off to do some shopping or for a coffee nearby while you do it anyway!! The tour part is only about an hour or 90 mins so not too long to trust you on your own!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Hahaha I wish. My mother is the biggest worrier on the planet! She barely wants me driving on my own. I think she's have a nervous breakdown if I was to be left alone in New York for a whole 90 minutes. The woman wouldn't know how to cope.

Hmmmm....maybe buy her a coffee and a good book and leave her in the lobby! The theatre that Wicked is in is a rare NY breed, a theatre with a large lobby.

2 years ago we did several shows over a week and one of the worst memories was standing in -15c weather outside waiting for the doors to open cos only about 20 people could fit in the lobby!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

Wicked is Brilliant I love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 mishka2008

having listened to the wicked soundtrack for the last 2 years solid i am finally going to see it in london on monday night!!! sooooooooooooo excited!!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

mishka2008 wrote: »
    having listened to the wicked soundtrack for the last 2 years solid i am finally going to see it in london on monday night!!! sooooooooooooo excited!!! :D

I too baught the C.D. before going! Its a good idea! You'll never stop singing the songs after the show whis is Fantastic, with a Capital F!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭dramabob

I've seen Wicked twice on Broadway now, and woud go again in the morning given half a chance. It's funny, touching, memorable and has some of the cleverest lyrics of any songs I've heard in a show.

I remember reading the book years ago and absolutlely loving it, so when I heard that they'd made it into a musical, I couldn't wrap my mind around the concept - the book is quite weighty. I'll admit to being sceptical initially, and am happy to be proved wrong. They did an amazing job on the show - the set, the costumes, everything.

Just brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Saw it in London last night, was rather impressed :)

Welcome to the club!!

Regarding buying the CD - I always discourage people from buying it before they see the show. There's one song that's in the show that's not on the CD but I do think the CD gives away too much of the story.

I'm going to see Wicked tomorrow night! I'm in New York at the moment recovering from the journey over.

Can't wait.

• Advertisement

Wicked is soooo amazing. Saw it last night on Broadway and it was just so great. I had great seats which would have been even better if there hadn't been a very very tall man sitting in front of me with his gigantic head.../rant

Seats were centre stage on the ground floor so it was amazing. The actual set is just unbelievable and I really liked Elphaba. I can't remember who was playing her but I've got the program around here somehere...

In summary=all I had hoped for and more! \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

fonpokno wrote: »
    Wicked is soooo amazing. Saw it last night on Broadway and it was just so great. I had great seats which would have been even better if there hadn't been a very very tall man sitting in front of me with his gigantic head.../rant

Seats were centre stage on the ground floor so it was amazing. The actual set is just unbelievable and I really liked Elphaba. I can't remember who was playing her but I've got the program around here somehere...

In summary=all I had hoped for and more! \o/

Seems like it's a girl called Nicole Parker. There are a few clips of her on YouTube and she sounds great.

I'm delighted you weren't disappointed. Althought I actually don't think that's possible.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 melody321

phonpokno

Where did you buy your tickets for the New York show. I'm checking out various sites at present trying to get decent seats at a good price. Thanks, glad you enjoyed the show

You won't get bargain seats for Wicked, its constantly sold out so no bargains available. Don't be tempted by the cheap seats either, you will regret scrimping on them. You don't need premium seats at $300 a pop but the top price seats at around $120 are worth every cent!

OK.......thanks athrasna

Can you advise what site I should use to buy the tickets online. Is it possible to get designated seats?

Thanks

It's a ticketmaster gig I'm afraid. While it's an expensive option, I prefer to talk to an agent so that they can give you the seats that are actually the best available rather than the ones the computer gives you. I've also once accidentally booked tickets for the night we were leaving NY and when I got back on the phone they changed them no problem.

melody321 wrote: »
    phonpokno

Where did you buy your tickets for the New York show. I'm checking out various sites at present trying to get decent seats at a good price. Thanks, glad you enjoyed the show

I bought mine on the ticketmaster site a few weeks before I went. We went for the $111 tickets and I was sitting bang in the centre of the theatre on the ground floor. I was in Row O and I thought they were excellent but it would've been nice to be 3 or 4 rows closer just for the fun.

I really wouldn't go for the cheap seats, there are a few areas in the theatre where your view would be quite restricted so I'd say go for the decent ones. I was offered great seats on the ticketmaster site tbh. Just pay close attention to the map of the theatre on the site and you shouldn't go wrong.

Although if you're unsure then take athtrasna's advice and talk to an agent. She's our resident expert! :)

fonpokno wrote: »
    Although if you're unsure then take athtrasna's advice and talk to an agent. She's our resident expert! :)

:D:D:D

:D:D:D gosh methinks there are a few experts here. Fonpokno I've been looking at tickets available but won't be as lucky as you were with seat location. Btw, I've been trying to submit details on Ticketmaster.com but I can't complete with Irish address. :o what am I doing wrong? Athrasna may I ask what agent you used?

thanks again for your cheerful help

I actually meant to call ticketmaster's phone number rather than use the website. Also you can generally use US sites if you make your address look like a US one. Spell out all your address eg Dublin Four and then put CA and 90210 in for the state and zip. Worked for me for ticketmaster in the past!

I think the expert comment may have something to do with a list of shows I posted on another thread, either that or the 9 times I've seen Wicked (New York, London, Chicago & LA) :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Miss_lady

ooooh I LOVE Wicked, its got to the stage where even my mam knows the words to all the songs cos I play the soundtrack so much. Ive seen it twice, both times in London and both times with Kerry Ellis and Diane Pinkleton (spl), and both times I was blown away. I want to go back before Kerry finishes in May but I dont see it happening :(

Fave songs... so so difficult. Defying Gravity and Wizard and I are just special to me but I also love love love For Good and As long as your mine.... very difficult choice to minimise that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 TheKat

i'm going to have to be the odd one out here and say that i was really disappointed by Wicked. My friends had all seen it and loved it. Saw it in London two years ago, and while I thought the story was good (though wondered if it would have been as popular had the Wizard of Oz never happened), the music didn't really grab me. Usually I'd come out of a show humming the songs but it didn't happen this time. So don't kill me Wicked lovers but for me it was over rated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

TheKat wrote: »
    i'm going to have to be the odd one out here and say that i was really disappointed by Wicked. My friends had all seen it and loved it. Saw it in London two years ago, and while I thought the story was good (though wondered if it would have been as popular had the Wizard of Oz never happened), the music didn't really grab me. Usually I'd come out of a show humming the songs but it didn't happen this time. So don't kill me Wicked lovers but for me it was over rated!

Kill her! Kill her! :mad:

Nah you're entitled to your opinion!

TheKat wrote: »

Tbh i don't think i'd have loved it if I'd seen the show before listening to the soundtrack. It took a while for me to get into the soundtrack itself because Kristin Chenoweth's voice was a bit grating to start with.

I love it now, but I'm more traditional with my musical taste sometimes so it took a few weeks listening until I came around to the style of music and now I love it! :)

I know quite a few musical lovers who weren't bowled over by Wicked. Each to their own I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Saw it on Tuesday in London. I'd highly recommend it. Its still very fresh.

Didn't think it would be my cup of tea at first but i grew to like it. Still listening to the CD in the Car.

I think the best thing about it is that most wouldn't have a clue whats going to happen in it and thats refreshing in itself.When you go to a show like the Phantom or Les mis you already know a loose plot so your expecting things to happen where as you dont know whats going to happen next in this.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I adored this book, still dying to see the show!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 allx_uk

It could be another 8 years for it to come according to some people

Anne Hathaway rumoured as Elphaba, that's [apparently] what the whole Oscar opening this year with Hugh Jackman was about.......

Absolutely adore Indina Menzel, the only Elphaba IMHO.

Wondering who they'll cast as Fiyero though, really hope its not someone like Zac Efron/Chace Crawford pretty boy types.

Better pick singers who can act, rather than the other way around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 eimear87

Saw this in London in January and i absolutely loved it. My sisters about to kill me because I wont shut up about it. I'm now dragging my friends over to London to see it. Hopefully we'll get better seats this time we wer very high up last time (all we could afford), but we're going to brave the very early morning and try to get the reserved front row cheap seats. Not looking forward to that queue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Enid.

Wicked is really amazing, a friend gave me the soundtrack as a present and I now know it inside out and back to front but...I've never seen it.

The saddest thing is that I was in New York in November 2007 and I was all excited to see it but of course....the stage hands strike. I was totally heartbroken.

Someday....

Advertisement