Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What countries will my licence work in??

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Hi all, sorry is this i've posted this in the wrong place, but i was wondering could anyone tell me what countries a full Irish licence works in?
    Do i have to apply for anything before i can use my licence abroad?

Thank's for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭blackbox

It will work within the EU.

I'm not too sure beyond that, but I expect most countries.

Try dept. of Foreign Affairs website.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

EU and other EEA countries (such as Iceland)
    Virtually every English speaking country

Nearly every country in the world if you purchase an IDP off the AA - http://www.aaireland.ie/travel-insurance/idp.asp - this translates the licence to a UN defined format.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What do you mean by "work" exactly. Valid for a tourist visit, valid indefinitely, valid with international licence, capable of being changed for a local licence without doing a further test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Hi all, sorry is this i've posted this in the wrong place, but i was wondering could anyone tell me what countries a full Irish licence works in?
    Do i have to apply for anything before i can use my licence abroad?

Thank's for the help.

In general no

In certain cases you need an International Driving License, which is just a translation for non english speaking people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Most places will allow you to drive on your Irish licence on a temporary/tourist basis. If you're going to be there long time then it differs from country to country - most will probably make you do their own driving test (except for EU countries of course).

Advertisement