Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red and grey uniforms - street wardens? What are they doing?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know who those traffic warden types are in the red and grey uniforms? Are they employed by the council? I know they were giving out to street traders during the Arts Festival. A friend of mine who's a busker (one of the good ones!) said they are taking notes and taking buskers' PHOTOS today:eek:
    Are they clamping down on buskers or something? My friend even asked around a while ago about buskers license and was told they 'do and don't exist'. A mate says they introduced them a few years ago to deter p*sshead drum circles, but they don't have them any more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I think they are Litter Wardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

A bit creepy if you ask me, this one woman in particular who takes her job waaay too seriously. I found them on the Council website, they do a lot of stuff, yeah litter, traffic, 'community stuff'.
    Apparently no busking license per se - I think she was just documenting for when they 'come to collect the artists':P:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Who? IMRO?

po0k wrote: »
    Who? IMRO?
    Ha ha! My mate does mostly originals..

No..'themm' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

yeah they are community wardens.....
    glorified pen pushers they are .. with a serious attitude problem to match....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Litter wardens, fines all around for spitting your gum it seems, about time too.

Yeah, I rang the Council because it was bugging me..
    The lady in another dept said there was no busking license..they tried it under by-laws but it is no longer. The Community Warden person in charge is on her hols, so no one knew why she (the patrolling warden) was taking photos..
    I am all for keeping an eye on town, it's when the hunger for power takes over..the artists will be one of the first to have to go you know...muahha:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

They were running dogs off the beach in Salthill last week.

When did that law come into effect that dogs aren't allowed on Salthill beach?

Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

inisboffin wrote: »
    A bit creepy if you ask me, this one woman in particular who takes her job waaay too seriously. I found them on the Council website, they do a lot of stuff, yeah litter, traffic, 'community stuff'.
    Apparently no busking license per se - I think she was just documenting for when they 'come to collect the artists':P:eek:

Yer wan stopped us playing soccer in eyre square. Really rude about it, comes over and goes "can you speak english, can you read that sign over there, what does it say".

I say we start a long thread about her with pictures a la Knacker Dwarf, until she either repents on her dry****e ways or sues boards for slander! Win-win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

kraggy wrote: »
    They were running dogs off the beach in Salthill last week.

When did that law come into effect that dogs aren't allowed on Salthill beach?

Disgraceful.
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/local-news/local-news/%27barking-mad%27-by%11laws-put-mutts-off-beaches-/

• Advertisement

minxie1 wrote: »

Potential €1900 fine and/or imprisonment.

Ridiculous.

Them pricks in City Hall, between no dogs on the beaches and one ass of a councillor claiming he's sick of trees. To think our taxes are paying them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

minxie1 wrote: »
    What's even more impressively stupid than the bye laws themselves is the commenter who reckons it was related to the Lisbon treaty.
    kraggy wrote:
    Them pricks in City Hall, between no dogs on the beaches and one ass of a councillor claiming he's sick of trees. To think our taxes are paying them.
    Local elections in less than 9 months time, you know what to do. You do, right?

Compulsory civics lessons before you're allowed to vote.

Another friend's Mam rang them, her daughter plays the fiddle. The official line is that there are "a lot more people coming on the streets" and that they have been asked to "document" these people by "the director"??

She said some people are trading illegally and mentioned balloons!
    She also mentioned people "selling" CDs under the guise of donation.

My friend was not selling balloons nor cds and was 'documented' by that same woman. FFS, this is nauseating! Have they nothing better to do?

Robbo wrote: »
    What's even more impressively stupid than the bye laws themselves is the commenter who reckons it was related to the Lisbon treaty.

Local elections in less than 9 months time, you know what to do. You do, right?

Compulsory civics lessons before you're allowed to vote.

I know well what to do. Vote every chance I get. Think it should be compulsory like in a select few other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,955 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    Have they nothing better to do?

Like issuing parking-tickets? No thanks, I'd rather they were kept busy with buskers.

Officially they're called "Community Wardens", but I like to think of 'em as "Meter Maids" :D

I would really rather they left the buskers alone...

My point is have they nothing better to do than 'document' (harass) people not breaking any laws at all. Be like following you around harassing you in your car, *in case* you were to park illegally/drive too fast/should driving need a new license.

I still think it's c*ap and creepy

Advertisement