Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8th Sept = Christmas????

Options
  • 08-09-2008 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭

I am not sure if this is the best place for this but ... I saw in the paper this morning that Debenhams have their christmas stock on sale all ready, and then I was down in Dundrum at lunch and Pennys have it out as well... since when did the 8th of September become Christmas? Haloween is still over a month and a half away, and Christmas is [quick calculation] 108 days away.
    What are they playing at - it gets kids excited, the makes parents stressed and it ruins the novelty of christmas...no decorations should be on sales until November at the very earliest...

Come on! does anyone else share this view or I just being a humbug?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

shops would not begin stocking the xmas stuff this early if there was no call or interest for it.my shop stocks it from mid-sep onwards and it sells really well right up till xmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If you held it back a few more weeks, would you have people coming to the counter complaining that they can't buy it? How many complaints a year would you receive from people saying they can't buy their Christmas decorations in September?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Personally I love it. :) There are plenty of shops that have a dedicated Christmas section all year, it just gets bigger as Christmas approaches.

I don't think it is a consumer issue or putting undue pressure on parents. I prefer to shop early and get it all done before the mad rush starts. I already have some presents bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

i once had a lady tell me off for the early xmas decs while her arms were ladened down with stuff!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I don't think it is a consumer issue or putting undue pressure on parents. I prefer to shop early and get it all done before the mad rush starts. I already have some presents bought.

I does if you have young kids, they have no concept of time and 100+ days to wait on Santa, it destroys it for them.
    Christmas should start in December.

Will be avoiding the shop for a while now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

There should be a ban on Christmas advertising/mechandise for sale/etc... until December 8th each year. It ruins the atmosphere of the holidays. Then they start pumping sales on December 26th. These goons are totally out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

I was in TK Max Tralee last Saturday - 06-09-08 - Xmas decorations on sale there also :(.
    My Dad always says that the older you get, the quicker the year goes. At this rate all these shops selling Xmas stuff in September will make me forty before I'm due to turn thirty :eek:.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Im not defending it, but explaining it here.

This is a simple sales practice. Christmas stock loses 95% of it's value after December 25th, meaning a loss for shops.

So what do you do?

Put it all out as early as possible to make sure an absolute bare minimum left over hogging space in the stock rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

In the place I work, we have been advertising for christmas staff for two weeks now! It is quite soul destroying for those of us who work in retail :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Aye, i worked 6 Christmases in Tesco (3 in a toy store, 3 in grocery) and it really is awful for the staff, leaving at 6pm on Dec 24th and going straight to the pub though, THAT i can live with :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 teencitizen88

I worked in a toystore too! I quickly came to the conclusion that people become doolally when they have kids :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Penny's are also displaying their Christmas stock now. Holloween is not over yet for fraks sake!
    Thats the money grabbing society we live in today sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Biggins wrote: »
    Holloween is not over yet for fraks sake!

Halloween - It did not even start yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

dh0661 wrote: »
    Halloween - It did not even start yet.

Thats my point - in different words.

Advertisement