Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stand-up on CD, recommendations

• 08-09-2008 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was looking at getting a few stand-up/comedy cds for the train to and from work. Any recommendations? Looking for some Bill Hicks, Chris Rock, Bill Bailey etc. etc.

Thanks

And I'll leave you with a quote from some science research I read recently ;)

"According to experts, women are less likely than men to contract testicular cancer".

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

I'd strongly recommend, if you can get your hands on 'em, some Mitch Hedberg, or some early Steve Martin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭Gross Halfwit

I'd strongly recommend, if you can get your hands on 'em, some Mitch Hedberg, or some early Steve Martin.

I second Mitch Hedberg ... Strategic Grill Locations & Mitch All Together are great. Rodney Dangerfield, Jim Gaffigan, Bill Cosby & the one & only George Carlin are all good train ear buddies.

And you know what?! **** it ... Dane Cook! No one else likes the bastard but I do. So there.

Or you could just go to the source of his material & get some Louis CK ... i don't think he has an actual CD out but you could download his stuff as MP3s somewhere ... I'd imagine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 themurt

And you know what?! **** it ... Dane Cook! No one else likes the bastard but I do. So there.

I have Retalliation on CD and it's brilliant!!! Not too sure about his movies but his standup makes people laugh which is the whole point!

Speaking of Leary, No Cure For Cancer is great on CD but it is shorter than the actual performance, edited for time I suppose, though the songs at the end should have been left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

id defo say mitch hedberg ftw, but as no one has mentioned him yet ill reccommend stephen lynch, superhero, a little bit special, the craig machine, all class ...and if you can get your hands on it a taste of dirty sanchez is a new demo cd!

jim jefries cd is brilliant aswell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

Patton Oswalt - Feelin' Kinda Patton
    Mike Birbiglia - Two Drink Mike
    Eugene Mirman - The Absurd Nightclub Comedy of Eugene Mirman
    Dave Attell - Skanks For The Memories
    David Cross - Shut Up You ****ing Baby
    Paul F. Tompkins - Impersonal
    his standup makes people laugh which is the whole point!

righteo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 jimhenmar80

not really stand up but get Blue Jam on cd.weird but supuirb.

NO! steer well clear of this, his whole shpeelk is "he's so bad you love to boo him....so bad its good" sort of thing....but its not, its just plain bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

NO! steer well clear of this, his whole shpeelk is "he's so bad you love to boo him....so bad its good" sort of thing....but its not, its just plain bad!

Yeah, well, that's just like, your opinion, man.

I feel like I've missed half a conversation. Was something deleted? I imagine something was deleted. I'm like a detective. Watson, get me my fiddle and cocaine.

Are you talking about Neil Hamburger? I hope so. He's class.

Aaah I had the reply sent to my email account. Checkmate internet! The ones that were posted that were deleted that I'd recommend are:

Jen Kirkman - Self-Help (She's so funny. Oh, to be her friend.)
    Brian Regan - Unmasked
    David Cross - It's Not Funny (Him and Bob Odenkirk are doing a new sketch show for HBO. Wa-hey and woo-hoo, people.)
    Dave Attell - Captain Miserable (get the dvd of this, it's hilarious. He loses the crowd fifteen minutes in and just keeps going. The venue is bigger than Vicar Street and he's basically playing to the first three rows because no-one else is laughing. Comedy hero? Yes.)
    Michael Showalter - Sandwiches and Cats (it's alright but get the movie he made, I forced people to watch The Baxter in Edinburgh and now they love it more than that first gasp of a beer being opened on a hot summers day. It's so funny and sweet. Right now you're like, why isn't he making an insulin joke? Because I'm not a hack like you.)(I am.)
    Mike Birbiglia - My Secret Public Journal Live (He played Kilkenny two years ago. I told everyone who was heading down to go see him. No-one did. Now they regret it. Conclusion: Kilkenny is a place of regret.)

I'm bored at work and the shop next door was selling brackets for half-price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭SlimJ

Yes. Yes, something was deleted. Something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭yahoo_moe

id defo say mitch hedberg ftw
    + another
    stephen lynch
    You, sir, have excellent taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

fobster wrote: »
    Looking for some Bill Hicks,

This one isn't bad ;

http://www.amazon.com/Philosophy-Best-Bill-Hicks/dp/B00005O7RR/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1222789648&sr=8-1

the part about Reginald Denning is a classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Slimj infracted for breach of site rules.

Links to illegal download sites were deleted.

It's a bit hypocritical for aspiring stand-up comedians to come along and steal a whole show by another guy. Taking the food off his table.

Next post of that nature will earn a month's ban on the spot. For anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Mitch Hedberg definitely! A new one was just released actually called 'Do you believe in Gosh?' taken from one of his last shows(RIP:(). His first two are also excellent

"I got an ant farm. Them fellas don't grow sh*t. ":pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Some excellent stuff recommended thus far. My additions:

Bill Hicks - Arizona Bay, Chicago '89, Rant in E Minor, Revelations
    Daniel Tosh - Completely Serious, True Jokes I Made Up
    Demitri Martin - These Are Jokes
    Greg Giraldo - Good Day to Cross a River (though it gets crappier towards the end)
    Lewis Black - The End of the Universe, The White Album, Rules for Enragement
    Nick Swardson - Party
    Steven Wright - I Have a Pony

If you like Demitri Martin, check out his TV specials, they're awesome too. You can't go wrong with any of Bill Hicks' material. Maybe just work through it chronologically.

I wish more Irish comics would release CDs, this is exactly the reason why I'm forced to listen to American comedy rather than Irish :/

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Demitri Martin - These Are Jokes

If you like Demitri Martin, check out his TV specials, they're awesome too.

they are awesome......they were also awesome when mitch hedberg told them originally!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

they are awesome......they were also awesome when mitch hedberg told them originally!

I've seen people say this before. What jokes has Demetri ever stolen from Mitch?

I know they share a similar style(i.e one liners) and all but I really don't think Demetri gets the credit he deserves sometimes. His show 'If I', while not entirely stand up in the traditional sense, is incredible. I think that its great that there's someone out there now who can hold a candle to Mitch, and Demetri Martin does more than that imo. The way people talk about him sometimes you'd swear he was Dane Cook:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Doug Stanhope
    George Carlin
    Richard Pryor

• Subscribers Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭girl_friday

themurt wrote: »
    I have Retalliation on CD and it's brilliant!!! Not too sure about his movies but his standup makes people laugh which is the whole point!

I <3 dane Cook!! He is hilarious!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭beamo

One of my favourites is a lad called Jon Fisch, saw him in vegas recently and bought his cd after, it was an absolute bargain for $10, i'm pretty sure you can get it on his website. Really worth checking out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ldee

dave attel :D

Advertisement