Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A place for Andy Reid.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

I'd much rather have proper wingers like Hunt and McGeady rather than somebody who cuts inside all the time, we would lose much of our shape, as talented as Reid is, we can't afford to have someone who won't do alot of the donkey work, we just arent good enough at the back to cope with that sorta pressure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

eagle eye wrote: »
    Andy Reid is a good footballer and I am sure he will get chances to prove himself in the team, but he is not a world beater by any means so whats going on here is just ridiculous. I don't get why so many people are all about his inclusion. He is just not cut out for the left wing, he doesn't have the pace to cover back and he will be inclined to come inside too often.

He is a central/att. central midfielder now, I don' think he will get his place there unless Whelan plays a poor game or there is an injury.

No one has claimed he is a world beater. The only thing hat has 'gone on' here, is that some of us believe he 'may' be a better option than some of the other players. Nothing ridiculous in that. Also, one person has said about him being deployed as a roaming left midfielder, not a winger.

Smegball wrote: »
    I'd much rather have proper wingers like Hunt and McGeady rather than somebody who cuts inside all the time, we would lose much of our shape, as talented as Reid is, we can't afford to have someone who won't do alot of the donkey work, we just arent good enough at the back to cope with that sorta pressure.

I'd agree. However, what about Whelan or Doyle? Lucky Loyd made a good point about him maybe being a bit easy to play through, so Whelan is preferred. However, I would argue that S.Reid could be sufficient cover, and its not like A.Reid can't defend anyway. As i said earlier, I hope the management aren't too conservative. Steve Mclaren wanted to tighten things up in the 99 ECC Final, but Alex Ferguson smelt blood and went for it. Sometimes you have to make a judgement call that may go against the norm. Take the risks to get the big rewards. Sometimes caution is a bad thing. I personally hope he's just cautious at the start of the campaign, making sure we don't get beat. As the teams confidence grows, he might be a bit more attack minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ok excuse me but, ive only read some of this thread so im sorry if this has been asked but can anyone actually tell me......

what is a.reids fav position? where does he play with sunderland? center?

i think he was used on the right with spurs???
    because one thing im sure of imo, is trap wont play players out of position.

ok excuse me but, ive only read some of this thread so im sorry if this has been asked but can anyone actually tell me......

Centre Midfield would be his preferred position.

I just don't think our team suits a more adventurous style tbh, we just couldn't handle any counter attacks really, we suit being that slightly bit more cautious IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

he started his career as a right winger, did well there for forest and moved to Spurs. Didn't make much of himself there really and has since developed into a center midfielder since. Has been in the center for charlton and sunderland very successfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

leave him out of the squad, full stop.

leave him out of the squad, full stop.

Care to elaborate?

Can't see how Miller get on there on Saturday, pretty damn average player.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

62852.jpg

teehee hee :o

Just messin!!!

Smegball wrote: »
    Can't see how Miller get on there on Saturday, pretty damn average player.

Thats one of the things thats got me scrathing my head and wondering if the A.Reid omission is actually to do with the system. We could not keep the ball, and Geogia were getting a few corners etc. We had Whelan and S.Reid still on the pitch, and could have done with someone who could keep posession for us. Then he brings on Miller:confused: Then Keogh:confused:

Dave! wrote: »
    62852.jpg

teehee hee :o

Just messin!!!

:D In fairness, thats the last place we want him.

Here's where he should be:

gym1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

If ya were playin a game of hide and seek with him, the gym is the last place to look! I know the first place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

what i was wondering as well, on a related topic, is where do we fit Ireland if he comes back? RW with McGeady LW? I know he much prefers to play center but he's a bit lightweight and can go missing if he's dealt with physically. At the same time he's one of our best players.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭happydayz182

noodler wrote: »
    This.

Anyway. I hope that, if there is 20 minutes to go in Montenagro and we are scoreless and looking unlikely to break them down, Trap will go for it and bring Andy Reid on.

ha if its nil-nil wit 20 minutes to go hes more likely to bring off kevin doyle and put on mcshane:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

JimiTime wrote: »
    Care to elaborate?

i think he is completely over rated! he has a great pass but no vision, always reverts to balls down the left side of the pitch, and doesnt have the fitness to be playing at the top level. now if you took the best parts of Kilbane and put it with the best parts of Andy Reid you may have 3/4 of a quality player...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

JimiTime wrote: »

1)
    Whelen
    S.Reid
    McGeady
    A Reid
    Keane
    Doyle

Swap Keane and Doyle around and i like it, Keane can drop off onto the wing and fill that gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

Keane can't play on the wing. Stupid Benitez.

Advertisement