Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the chances?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭

Hi, im 21 at the mo and have been applyin for PE/biology for the last 3 years through cao but the points are just too high so looks like i have to wait until i'm a mature student to try and get a place.. How many places are available for mature students? This is really what i want to do and if i dont get in i really dont know what to do. If anyone could give me some advice that would be great.. thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have you looked into colleges in the UK? Their entry requirements are sometimes lower than Ireland. You might have a better chance of getting in there.

Your best bet is to contact the colleges you are interested in and ask about mature student places on the course and what is expected of them to have to secure a place. They will look at academic achievements as well as your daily interests, work experience and life experience.

Also, you have said you have been trying to get a place in the last 3 years. Have you studied anything further like a PLC course? Or a gym instructor course? The problem I have faced myself (I'm a wannabe Physio student) is that universities will look for recent study either repeated L.C. or some other type of course PLC/Open University etc (within the last 3-4 years when applying). If you are applying as a mature student or for a place in the UK it is something you should look into.

I have just been accepted on the Access to Science course in UCD. You may want to have a look at that. But there are other options for you like Open University course in Human Biology.

Your best bet is ringing up or emailing the universities and find out what would make your application strong.

Advertisement