Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

thinking of dropping out

• 08-09-2008 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭

hey there sorry if this has been posted before.
    basically missed my 1st choice by 10 points accepted my 3rd, now im here and i hate it. part of the reason i hate it is cuz its about 4 hours from home and i dont know anyone here. ive also found that the course isnt really what i thought it would be. frown.gif
    so anyway i was wondering if anyone could tell me if i drop out now and then reapply to the cao for a different course am i still eligible for free fees?confused.gif

i really dont want to stay here but i wot be able to afford to go somewhere else next year if i have to pay the fees....
    sorry for this being rambly!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

depends where you're going now and where you wanna go next on what fees you'll have to pay. I dropped out of UCD last year, and for me to go back there this year would have been about 6000 but to go to DIT which is the current intention it's only about 900. So money all depends on the colleges, but because you've not completed first year you may in fact be eligible for free fees again...not sure as I had completed first year so a bit diff...

As for the course and what you think of it etc. I went to college on my own, no friends, three hours from home, similar situation to yourself, and this was the story for a lot of people I've become friends with up here, living in Dublin three years now and cant imagine being anywhere else, it just takes some time to settle into it and make new friends, which can be daunting at first. BUT if you really really don't like the course, and are finding yourself miserable in it, then best bet is to leave, maybe see if you can stick till midterm, and see how you feel about it then, when you're in totally new surroundings as well as the course and looking for new friends, things seem a lot worse than they are... And as far as I know if you withdraw before crimbo, with most third level institutes you get half if not all of your entry fee back...

If you really wanna you could try reapplying right now, if there's a course in the Vacent Places on CAO that you'd be happier doing. no extra charge to apply, and granted there's no guarantee of a place but long as you have the min requirements it's worth a try! :) (link for vacent places http://www.cao.ie/courses/vpl_courses_popup.htm)

best a luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Making friends takes time. When I started college, I immediately started hanging out with a couple of people (basically I reckoned they were in the same boat as me and just started talking to them :)) but after a few months realised they are not really the kind of people I want to be friends with so ended up hanging out with a completely different group! What I'm saying here is with time you'll realise there are some people in the class similar to you and you will become friends. You have to make a bit of an effort though.

How long have you been doing the course? If it's just a few weeks, it's hard to tell if the course if for you or not.

Talk to the college counsellor. S/he might be able to help.

Advertisement