Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taxi charges for M50 toll

Options
  • 08-09-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

got a taxi from the airport yesterday, first time with barrier free.

comming up to the scanner the driver puts his tag on the dashboard and then adds €3 to the fare.

should he be adding €3 as he is only paying €2 with the tag?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Hmmm...good point! Did you ask him why he put that amount on? Yeh it should be only €2 with a tag!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Maybe its to cover his admin charges :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭paconnors

he's only entitled to charge you €2 as he has a tag all dublin taxis are supposed to have tags. did he give you a receipt if so how much did he put on tips / tolls line. if he put down €3 report him to taxi regulater

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

gaz wac wrote: »
    Maybe its to cover his admin charges :D

what the admin charge of 1e or so he has to pay for the tag for each month he useS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Back in the day when it was 1.80 I got charged 2.00 for it. Good to see some things don't change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

paconnors wrote: »
    he's only entitled to charge you €2 as he has a tag all dublin taxis are supposed to have tags. did he give you a receipt if so how much did he put on tips / tolls line. if he put down €3 report him to taxi regulater

I'm a taxi driver and dont have a tag, nothing was said by the taxi comission.

I dont intend to by one either.

€3 on the clock there bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Volvoboy wrote: »

Why? Even the video billing one without a tag and €1 fee a month is only €2.50 a go.

Most meters (including my one) extras go up in €1 denominations not cents.

So take 50c away from your final charge.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I won't be tipping any taxi who charges me the €3 so they'll lose out :-)

Most meters (including my one) extras go up in €1 denominations not cents.

So take 50c away from your final charge.:)

I'm assume no drivers will have a problem with people paying 50c under what the meter says?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 PhotoMe

I won't be tipping any taxi who charges me the €3 so they'll lose out :-)

You tip taxi drivers????

I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on any taxi I use through the toll in future. Mind you, it's seldom I would have need.

Stekelly wrote: »
    I'm assume no drivers will have a problem with people paying 50c under what the meter says?

No, being a taxi driver i dont go for that rounding off business, what the meter says you pay;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

but the OP said the driver in question did have a tag

but the OP said the driver in question did have a tag

I know but paconnors said that every taxi driver is obliged to have a toll tag, me being a taxi driver this is the 1st im hearing about it, i know they are a option not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

paconnors wrote: »

No they don't, I don't have one and I'll charge you the €3..

The No Tag is my own personal choice and a mild protest in the fact that I don't use the WestLink that often but every time I do and pay with a credit card the bastards will have to pay Visa for the privilage...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

PhotoMe wrote: »
    You tip taxi drivers????

I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on any taxi I use through the toll in future. Mind you, it's seldom I would have need.

Just the guys who keep me entertained on the way home going on about the gangsters in government, too many emigrants etc. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

anniehoo wrote: »
    Hmmm...good point! Did you ask him why he put that amount on? Yeh it should be only €2 with a tag!

afraid not only really thought of it afterwards, 10hrs after we got to airport to come home so was a little out of it.

have sent a mail to taxi regulator to see what the story is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Spook_ie wrote: »
    every time I do and pay with a credit card the bastards will have to pay Visa for the privilage...

Umm, yes, but even allowing for the CC charges (which apply to all 3 payment options anyway), they'll still make more profit off your way of doing it, no?

No they don't, I don't have one and I'll charge you the €3..

The No Tag is my own personal choice and a mild protest in the fact that I don't use the WestLink that often but every time I do and pay with a credit card the bastards will have to pay Visa for the privilage...

So why not use one of the systems that dont use a tag and dont charge the €1 a month?

cgarvey wrote: »
    Umm, yes, but even allowing for the CC charges (which apply to all 3 payment options anyway), they'll still make more profit off your way of doing it, no?

Actualy no they aren't making a cent extra from me as the €3 is charged to the customer as a toll ( maybe you should consider complaining to the TR that you don't know before you go anymore :) ), they do have to pay the credit card commission though, even if it is only something like 10c...

• Advertisement

So why not use one of the systems that dont use a tag and dont charge the €1 a month?

I do, it's called paying with a credit card, costs me nothing, costs the punter €3, go complain to someone like the TR or Easyflow that you don't know what a taxi is charging until they tell you! but they can charge either €2.00, €2.50 or €3.00 depending on which system the driver has opted for...

I do, it's called paying with a credit card, costs me nothing, costs the punter €3, go complain to someone like the TR or Easyflow that you don't know what a taxi is charging until they tell you! but they can charge either €2.00, €2.50 or €3.00 depending on which system the driver has opted for...

The video recognition one from elfow with no tag or monthly fee is €2.50 a go. Why would you deliberatly opt for a dearer one? Especially whne you are in effect reselling it to a customer.

The video recognition one from elfow with no tag or monthly fee is €2.50 a go. Why would you deliberatly opt for a dearer one? Especially whne you are in effect reselling it to a customer.

Because the video account means you have to start your account with €40 and top it up by ( I believe a minimum of €40 each time ) whenever it gets to €12. A pay as you go account is just as it says on the tin. I'll bank with my bank not theirs...

And yes you the customer are the one thats paying, write the TR or Transport Minister if you think it's unfair....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

And yes you the customer are the one thats paying, write the TR or Transport Minister if you think it's unfair....
    Of course you are well within your rights to charge the full fee (whatever works out best for you), but I'd have thought ringing up and paying every second day that a customer goes via M50 might be a tad inconvenient. Your choice though.

In any case, whilst defending their own choices (rightly and fairly), no taxi driver here has addressed the apparent cowboy tactics of the OP's taxi driver...
    I'll bank with my bank not theirs...
    That's great, but appears to be against your argument; you claim to not want to give those "bastards" any more money than needed, but, by definition, your method of payment actually gives them at least 50c cent more a time (even if you do not pay it).:confused:

cast_iron wrote: »
    Of course you are well within your rights to charge the full fee (whatever works out best for you), but I'd have thought ringing up and paying every second day that a customer goes via M50 might be a tad inconvenient. Your choice though.

In any case, whilst defending their own choices (rightly and fairly), no taxi driver here has addressed the apparent cowboy tactics of the OP's taxi driver...

That's great, but appears to be against your argument; you claim to not want to give those "bastards" any more money than needed, but, by definition, your method of payment actually gives them at least 50c cent more a time (even if you do not pay it).:confused:

Proably because no one is trying to defend him, if he charges more than the toll he's overcharging the customer, the main argument I started in on was a poster saying that ALL taxis have to have the tag.

I'm not giving them any of MY money and if you think it's unfair then as I said write the TR or Transport Minister and ask them why a Small Public Service Vehicle (SPSV) is paying the toll anyway when they want to try to adjust the level of people using public transport!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Because the video account means you have to start your account with €40 and top it up by ( I believe a minimum of €40 each time ) whenever it gets to €12. A pay as you go account is just as it says on the tin. I'll bank with my bank not theirs...

You sure? I have opted for the video payment, and didnt have to pre-pay anything and i only get charged the 2.50 when i go through it.

Welease wrote: »
    You sure? I have opted for the video payment, and didnt have to pre-pay anything and i only get charged the 2.50 when i go through it.

Was sure until I re-read the contract sign up about 4 times before I spotted the tickbox for post paid accounts... Maybe I'll relent and go for that one, just in case I forget to pay the toll before 8pm, but then maybe not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Bloody foreigners comin n here and running a bleeding cab 24/7 they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Is that a joke post or you just an idiot?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Its good to hear from someone, in particularly a taxi driver not wanting to submit into getting one of these Big Brother "electronic tracking devices". Fair play to ya :)

If I was a Taxi driver I would be charging an extra euro making it e4 to cover all the follow up administration that is now required for using this thing. :D

Advertisement