Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

performance issues in Warhammer

• 08-09-2008 3:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Quick question regarding performance. I didn't play it much last night but the little i did play was fairly jerky or single to low double digit fps.

I've since updated my graphic drivers to the latest which seemed to have helped (did a quick 3 min test before goign to work this morning) but i'm still not happy with the overall performance and i'm thinking it's something to do with my machine.

Anyone know of any issues for a machine of the following specs.
    2.88ghz intel core 2 duo.
    4gb of ram.
    8800gtx at stock
    vista 64bit.
    Game installed on raided raptors.

Cpu usage peaked at about 80% and ram usage peaked at about 75% according to my quick diagnostics last night.

I ran the game at 1680* with everything on and then reduced that to 1280* with balanced and there didn't seem to be any noticeable differences.

Anyone got any ideas before i spend some time when i get home trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Quick question regarding performance. I didn't play it much last night but the little i did play was fairly jerky or single to low double digit fps.

I've since updated my graphic drivers to the latest which seemed to have helped (did a quick 3 min test before goign to work this morning) but i'm still not happy with the overall performance and i'm thinking it's something to do with my machine.

Anyone know of any issues for a machine of the following specs.
    2.88ghz intel core 2 duo.
    4gb of ram.
    8800gtx at stock
    vista 64bit.
    Game installed on raided raptors.

Cpu usage peaked at about 80% and ram usage peaked at about 75% according to my quick diagnostics last night.

I ran the game at 1680* with everything on and then reduced that to 1280* with balanced and there didn't seem to be any noticeable differences.

Anyone got any ideas before i spend some time when i get home trying to figure it out.

Thanks.

I run on a very similar spec, but with Athlon FX 74's instead of that Core2, and performance is excellent. It may be a bit jerky initally as the engine is slow to load textures. Did the performance remain poor throughout?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭toxick

i heard a lot of problems are arising from the graphics and graphics cards, appertly some cards are registering as 128mb and its not using its full potential..

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57345

thats quite a good post explaining some things that could work to fix your problem..

appertly some ATI/Nvidea cards are having problems with WAR :(

Also they said that the graphics isnt fully finihsed et and will be relesed with the game.. so that could also be a problem... dunno..

Have a look at the link anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

It remained poor throughout, there was even a noticeable dip at the character selection screen which did however go away after a mintue or two. Thought it was just loading but with the new drivers i didn't get that problem.

I'll be doing a proper playing session (err i mean test) tonight with the new drivers and the slowdown i saw this morning may indeed just have been textures loading. I'll find out in an hour or so.

Thanks for that link Toxick. Will read through it.

Right this is sorted.
    Apparently directx9.0c wasn't installed when it should have been (yes even with Vista's directx10).

I installed it and im now getting 35 ish fps with everything on at 1680*1050.
    Will try forcing aa and af later and see what happens. Currently the bottleneck appears to be the cpu as i got the same fps at 1280 as 1680*.

Happy as Larry now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,487 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Right this is sorted.
    Apparently directx9.0c wasn't installed when it should have been (yes even with Vista's directx10).

I installed it and im now getting 35 ish fps with everything on at 1680*1050.
    Will try forcing aa and af later and see what happens. Currently the bottleneck appears to be the cpu as i got the same fps at 1280 as 1680*.

Happy as Larry now.

It needs d3dx9_34.dll which is present in the later DirectX9 releases. The installer should have warned you about this though.

• Advertisement

I received no such warning, at least i didn't spot it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Got it must be terrible to be able to play the game....

yeah i gotta keep coming out here to read this forum it's so boring :p

it's not that im waiting for people to run to where i am, o no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

yeah i gotta keep coming out here to read this forum it's so boring :p

it's not that im waiting for people to run to where i am, o no.

So....how is it ? :)

Gah sorry tusky, never saw your reply till now. I guess you've played it though so no need for me to give details :p

The performance issues cropped up again for me, stuck at like 10-15 fps. Then noticed my cpu usage was at 100% but could see nothing that was wrong or why warhammer would be using so much of it.

Then realised the multiplyer was stuck at 6x so was missing 33% of my cpu's power. 3 hrs later and i've fixed it and im back to 45ish fps with a nice high res and full gory details.

Bloody pc always causing problems ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement