Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would this be?

• 08-09-2008 4:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Today I saw a large bird flying over the fields around my home place, to me it looked like some kind of bird of prey, it had a very large wing span and I noticed he had gray or silvery colouring on the underside of his wings. Any idea what this would be?

It was a pity I had no camera at the time but I'm gonna keep an eye out over the next few days as I havent seen one like him before!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Need more info :)

Where abouts?
    Hovering? Soaring?
    What kind of height? Tree-top height? Way higher?
    Bigger than a Rook?

Buzzards can have pale underwings...see this photo Tom Byrne has uploaded to flickr:
    2650089717_e9aca9c09a.jpg?v=1215553360

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomasjbyrne/2650089717/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Need more info :)

Where abouts?
    Hovering? Soaring?
    What kind of height? Tree-top height? Way higher?
    Bigger than a Rook?

Buzzards can have pale underwings...see this photo Tom Byrne has uploaded to flickr:
    Thanks for the reply:)
    Well I'm in Longford so not sure what the buzzard scene is like around here!
    It was swooping low and soaring over fields, had a good view and myself and dad agreed it wasn't a gull or rook.
    As far as I can remember it had wings quite like that buzzard but it wasn't so brown.
    Hopefully I might spot it again for more detail, it was cool to see something unusual tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Male Hen Harrier.?(silvery grey) When swooping low, did the wings curve upwards in a sort of wide V? If so, thats your bird. If not probably Buzzard.

Male Hen Harrier.?(silvery grey) When swooping low, did the wings curve upwards in a sort of wide V? If so, thats your bird. If not probably Buzzard.

Yep, I was just googling and the harrier is the only bird that is similar to the one I spotted! Although I cant find a pic that looks just like my one!:p
    Will have to keep my eyes peeled and hopefully get a picture to confirm.
    Thanks for your help guys!

kerash wrote: »
    Yep, I was just googling and the harrier is the only bird that is similar to the one I spotted! Although I cant find a pic that looks just like my one!:p
    Will have to keep my eyes peeled and hopefully get a picture to confirm.
    Thanks for your help guys!
    Possibly immature bird, so plumage not fully coloured yet, hence not identical to the guides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Everything sounds right (description, location, etc) for a Harrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It sounds very much like a harrier all right. OP, keep an eye out for it and let us know.

Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

Here is some pictures of the bird!!!

2925359976_981017af85_o.jpg

2925363446_4636a0c712_o.jpg

Buzzard.

Buzzard.
    Really? cool, thanks:)
    It's funny the first time I saw it, the way the sun was shining on him he looked a different colour! It was hard enough to get the pic (thanks fluffy;)) but very cool to see I thought!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Cool, put the photos in the photos sticky before this thread goes old...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭fluffyVW

lightening wrote: »
    Cool, put the photos in the photos sticky before this thread goes old...

Will do that now!!! ;)

Advertisement