Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Portarlington Railway Station

Options
  • 08-09-2008 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭

I've been reliably informed that pay parking will be coming into effect in Portarlington Railway Station in October. I've no exact date yet but I believe it's early October.

Well, what do you think?

I only live 5 mins away so it won't affect me as I walk to the station but my major gripe would be if you buy a weekly ticket you're not guaranteed a space (assuming it's going to be the same scenario as the other stations).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Well it's been discussed before from here on in another thread. Search button is your friend!

They won't be able to implement it as they haven't upgraded the car park yet as they were supposed to!

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Ouch, I'll consider my hand slapped there. Mods please merge with other thread.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Roaster wrote: »
    Ouch, I'll consider my hand slapped there. Mods please merge with other thread.

ROFL

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SmandyMaguire

a fiver a week, sher it'll hardly break the bank

It'll be €8 a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Haven't been to port station in a while.

Is there barriers or is it a ticket that u stick on the inside of the windscreen each day?

Can you still park 'illegally' - i.e. double park, etc or do you have to park within the lines ?

I'm currently using portlaoise ... they're bringing it in there as well eventually.

There's nothing in place yet! It's a ticket you buy afaik , but it's not clear what way it'll operate! I doubt the illegal parking will be allowed to continue...but for that not to happen there going to have to provide the extra spaces required!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Where else would u park all week for a fiver.

Just got this from a friend who met with an official of Irish Rail

We were advised at the meeting that pay parking is coming in on the 6th October and also work on the car park should commence in the next 4-6 weeks and should be completed by the end of April.

I have just sent an email requesting that the Board of Irish Rail reconsider the introduction of pay parking until such time as the car park has been extended.

If the dont agree to the above at least adhere to the promise given in there press release on the 17th July that commuters will be given at lease two weeks notice. At the moment we were not even given a weeks notice.

We also queried the regulation of parking fees and why Sallins are only paying €5per week and we will be paying €8.

We also queried the regulation of parking fees and why Sallins are only paying €5per week and we will be paying €8.

I bet Sallins parking will go to €8 sometime soon.

The request that paid parking not coming in until the works are finished on the new carpark seems fair.

• Advertisement

kikel wrote: »
    I bet Sallins parking will go to €8 sometime soon.

The request that paid parking not coming in until the works are finished on the new carpark seems fair.

The request is fair but this is Irish Rail we're referring to. Do you think putting monthly & annual tickets up by 15% is fair too? No, but they're going to do it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

Theyre unreal! the backstards. as if the commuting isnt enough for everyone like. grrrr

:mad:

It's a bloody joke....was talking to the guy in the ticket booth wasn't bothered with it at all! Said he knows feck all about it!

I think it's stupid to offer people the chance to buy a weekly ticket when there will be no guarentee of having a space!

More info....

Forgot to mention to you yesterday that Irish Rail should be introducing a monthly pay parking ticket over the next few months at a cost of €30 per month.

Also the cost of getting the clamp removed if you are got parking without a ticket is a whopping €120

below is a extract of a letter I received from the CEO of Irish Rail this time last year.
    “Iarnrod Eireann has embarked on a major programme of railway station car park improvements in direct response to our customers needs and expectations. At each station car park works will include significant increases in parking capacity, improvements to lighting, layout and ease of access/egress and also the provision of CCTV for personal and vehicle security. To help fund the operation and maintenance of the car parks, Iarnrod Eireann will introduce parking charges as is the case in almost all local authority car parks through the State.

However, with regard to the level of charges, our parking fees will be significantly lower than those typically found in other car parks. Our commuter car parking charges where introduced are currently €2 per day of just €5 for a weekly car parking ticket. At stations where these charges have already been introduced, no customer resistance has occurred. On the contrary, customers have responded very positively to the increased capacity and security of the car parks following the enhancement works.”

kmart6 wrote: »
    It's a bloody joke....was talking to the guy in the ticket booth wasn't bothered with it at all! Said he knows feck all about it!

I'd say that's bollox! They have to know, sure the fecking customer notice is right outside their door. Never found them p***** to be helpful.

I know. But at the same time I could understand it cause it's nothing to do with them!

Anyone see the letter to the editor in the Metro this morning?!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If the GAA had any sense they would open the centre up for parking and charge a reduced rate of, say, €1 per day (= €20 per month)

Good idea but I wouldn't fancy having to run from there the whole way up the platform,lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ChillyS

Yeah they'd left a leaflet underneath my wiper when i got home last night, parking is a bit much when they charge what they do for the train service which is a bit excessive in my opinion. It'll definately discourage people from commuting.

Car park didn't seem to be as packed as normal this morning. Are people car pooling, walking or what's the story?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ports best

it looks like there all parking outside the car park now near where mcmahons builders used to be, i saw a heap of cars along that road parked up this morning

Car park wasn't packed cause your only supposed to park in proper spaces so that takes out a good few extra cars! They way the cars were parked up along the road towards Corrig is just dangerous!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Car park didn't seem to be as packed as normal this morning. Are people car pooling, walking or what's the story?

They'll all be parking at your house. Sure it's only 5 minutes walk away from the station :D

I have been asked by a friend of mine (who's liaising with IE on the parking issue) to try and gauge reaction on the paid parking. So if you have any comments please post them here and I'll forward on same to him.

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER!!!

Firstly, let me just point out, I don't use the train, but this is the internet where every Tom, Dick and Harry has got an opinion so here is mine.
    • I totally understand paid parking in cities and town centres but Portarlington Station is on the outskirts of the town. People can just park down the road.
    • Since paid parking was introduced the junction at canal road has become more dangerous. People are parking to close to the bend which is illegal. I blame the people parking here for breaking the law, the Gardai for not enforcing the rules of the road and the council for not painting double yellow lines on this junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Curvy Vixen

Firstly, let me just point out, I don't use the train, but this is the internet where every Tom, Dick and Harry has got an opinion so here is mine.
    • I totally understand paid parking in cities and town centres but Portarlington Station is on the outskirts of the town. People can just park down the road.
    • Since paid parking was introduced the junction at canal road has become more dangerous. People are parking to close to the bend which is illegal. I blame the people parking here for breaking the law, the Gardai for not enforcing the rules of the road and the council for not painting double yellow lines on this junction.

Pah! I'm with kikel on this one...don't use the train either but feck it! I would be more than happy to pay if I saw some sort of benefit..CCTV, extra security, whatever. But seeing as how I don't, if I was using the train regularly, I'd probably park 'down the road'.....that's my tuppence worth!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

[*]Since paid parking was introduced the junction at canal road has become more dangerous. People are parking to close to the bend which is illegal. I blame the people parking here for breaking the law, the Gardai for not enforcing the rules of the road and the council for not painting double yellow lines on this junction.
    [/LIST]

As a fellow station road and canal road user on a daily basis i second the complaint re the parking on the corners of the streets. it has made this junction a complete hazard to all road users!!! its really ridiculous!!!

I totally understand paid parking in cities and town centres but Portarlington Station is on the outskirts of the town. People can just park down the road.

Just to back up my point, You can understand paid parking in Portaloise where the train station is in the centre of town. Parking is limited. Either pay at the station or pay on the street\carpark attached to Heritage hotel(they offer daily rate for commuters). Paid parking with stop locals from using the free facilites but in Port it's just an example of them screwing the people that use the train.
    Fair enough local residents had problems with people parking at the junction to the station but the council helped this situation by painting double yellow lines. The junction is now safer and traffic moves better than before. Next thing we'll find that the council will introduce paid parking along station road so they can get a bit of the action.

71014_MoneyHappiness_vl-vertical.jpg

RANT OVER, lucky i don't use the train, because if i did my rants would even be more unbearable.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just to back up my point, You can understand paid parking in Portaloise where the train station is in the centre of town. Parking is limited. Either pay at the station or pay on the street\carpark attached to Heritage hotel(they offer daily rate for commuters). Paid parking with stop locals from using the free facilites but in Port it's just an example of them screwing the people that use the train.
    Fair enough local residents had problems with people parking at the junction to the station but the council helped this situation by painting double yellow lines. The junction is now safer and traffic moves better than before. Next thing we'll find that the council will introduce paid parking along station road so they can get a bit of the action.

The idea of paid parking is to stop people who dont really need to park at the station from parking there. I dont use the train (after spending 5 years up and down to the big smoke, ill neve stepon one again!!)....

The idea would be that when the paid parking comes in the numbers using the parking will diminish. To be honest theres so many estates around the top of station road that a lot of people can easily walk to the station. The problem was clear to see, that the overspill was causing traffic problems at station road and seskin road.

regarding painting yellow lines, that sall fine and well, but wont make any difference..... until bye laws are passed in the town to make parking illegal. At the moment theres no bye law,therefore parking on double yellow lines isnt an offense... now, i am certainly open to correction on this, but thats my understanding.

• Advertisement

sydthebeat wrote: »
    regarding painting yellow lines, that sall fine and well, but wont make any difference..... until bye laws are passed in the town to make parking illegal. At the moment theres no bye law,therefore parking on double yellow lines isnt an offense... now, i am certainly open to correction on this, but thats my understanding.

I'm not an expert on the law but i hope your wrong about that. I would think that parking on double yellows is illegal on a national level rather than on a local bye law.

Does that also mean that the Gardai can't give someone a ticket in Portarlington for parking to close to\on a junction or parking beside traffic lights. This is the rules of the road FFS. Next thing we'll here the Gardai can't do speed checks around town because their is no bye law for it. (sarcasm, I'm in a funny mood this morning Syd, ignore me) :D :eek: :P

Advertisement