Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking in Portarlington Railway Station

Options
2»

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

between you and me kikel.... do you know ANYONE whos every gotten a parking ticket in port....????

i certainly dont.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

sydthebeat wrote: »
    between you and me kikel.... do you know ANYONE whos every gotten a parking ticket in port....????

i certainly dont.

Nope, People even park outside the Garda station on the double yellow lines.

kikel wrote: »
    Nope, People even park outside the Garda station on the double yellow lines.

penny dropped??

sydthebeat wrote: »
    penny dropped??

Nope, still hope your wrong, but why paint them if they mean nothing. I'd still be of the opinion that it is illegal. Wheather the Gardai enforce it is another issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Folks,

Thanks again for all your opinions and keep them coming.

For what it's worth I agree with almost all the points raised but especially with the parking on Station Road/Canal Road. How there hasn't been a serious accident there yet is beyond me. As a resident of Railway Mews I know how bad Seskin Land was last year and hopefully it won't happen again. I still know of 3 people from the estate who drive up everyday.

Another gripe I have is with the amount of cars waiting outside the entrance to the station to pick people up. Somedays it's nigh impossible to make your way out of the station.

• Advertisement

Does anyone think that their is excessive disabled parking up their? I was up their lately and noticed their was 4-5 places free. Maybe their is a rule\standard for laying out carparks that a certain % must be for diabled users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Roaster, I don't use the train but heres my opinion on it!

It's alot of money to have to pay on top of your train ticket for parking. However I really don't think IE are going to reverse their decision on it. They haven't anywhere else afaik.

I really can't understand what your problem is with people from nearby estates driving to the station? Quite frankly it's none of your business or anyone elses! They pay their train fares like everyone else and now their parking fee. I know if I travelled on the train and with the weather we have I would drive too. Who wants to travel the whole way into work in wet clothes?

It's IE's fault if the parking isn't adequate for the amount of commuters using the trains each day. They know exactly the numbers involved! And don't tell me you've never gotten a lift or drove to the station before cos I'd find that hard to believe my apologies if I'm wrong!

kikel wrote: »
    Does anyone think that their is excessive disabled parking up their? I was up their lately and noticed their was 4-5 places free. Maybe their is a rule\standard for laying out carparks that a certain % must be for diabled users.

Each local authority sets out its own parking standards in the current Development Plan. Minimum requirements for disabled parking provision are usually included and these tend to be incorporated into planning permissions. In most local authorities the current requirement is for 1% of total spaces to be set aside for disabled motorists.

lorweld wrote: »
    It's alot of money to have to pay on top of your train ticket for parking. However I really don't think IE are going to reverse their decision on it. They haven't anywhere else afaik.
    I agree, they won't
    I really can't understand what your problem is with people from nearby estates driving to the station? Quite frankly it's none of your business or anyone elses! They pay their train fares like everyone else and now their parking fee. I know if I travelled on the train and with the weather we have I would drive too. Who wants to travel the whole way into work in wet clothes?
    I suppose my gripe really goes back to when it was free parking and the over parking was forcing people onto Seksin Lane (onto the paths). I know of two couples in Railway Mews who have twins and cannot use the path because of people parking up on it. I just cannot understand people driving two minutes down the road rather than walk, it's not good for the car's engine for a start. In answer to your other question yes I have accepted a lift off a neighbour once or twice, am I a bad person??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Roaster wrote: »
    I just cannot understand people driving two minutes down the road rather than walk, it's not good for the car's engine for a start. In answer to your other question yes I have accepted a lift off a neighbour once or twice, am I a bad person??

You may be right, but they are still entitled to drive to and park in the station as much as anyone else! Let them worry about their cars.

Are you a bad person for accepting a lift? No, as neither are they bad people for driving to the station.

Sydthebeat I think your idea of the gaa opening up their carpark at a reduced rate is a good one! Perhaps if someone approached them with the idea? I do know they are currently fundraising for a second field so they might welcome the chance!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 smokestone

The work on extending the car park will commence in the next few weeks and should be completed by the end of April. Even when the car park is extended you will still have people parking on the road.

One of the planning permissions for the car park was a development levy of €150,000 for three roundabouts that are built or to be built. The council are due to put in a roundabout at the entrance to the station and also on the junction between canal road/station road. I have no idea where the third one is going.

The xtra disabled spaces are those required under the planning permission 07/2050,

For those of you who park your car at the station, if you are ever clamped the release fee will be a whopping €120

As Roaster has already mentioned they were chaos regarding cars parking down seskin lane and at the entrance to the station last March. As a result of publicity from the local residents double yellow lines were put down. Parking on station road was not as bad today as it has been in the past, I noticed they were more cars parked outside Odlums and outside the GAA pitch.

Smokestone, here is the third round about. These are the two up at the station. The one at centra is not shown. Sydthebeat posted this image originally in a previosu thread about commuting

Picture0004.png

The map is correct, the roundabout on seskin lane is being built by the company extending the car park, take a look at the planning conditions on application 07/2050. I was wrong about the number of disabled spaces they are 24 going in.

The car park when extended will be the envy of commuters from all other towns as when it is completed we will have our pick of carpark spaces

FYI the planning application consisted of
    "develop works within the curtilage of a protected structure comprising of the removal of existing railway sidings and disused goods platform north of the station buildings, the construction of 369 additional car parking spaces including 24 disabled spaces, 4 taxi spaces, the provision of storage and bus set down, alterations to the existing car park and associated site works including site lighting and boundary fencing"

There was a article in the local papers last year about a roundabout going in at the junction of Station Road/Canal Road and also something being done about the roundabout at the entrance to Kilnacourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

From what I know there's only 10 clamps to cover Nass,Kildare,Newbridge and Port!

Irish Rail were before the Transport Oireachtas
    Committee last month to answer questions on the introduction of pay parking.

Below is the link to the question and answers session.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=TRJ20080924.xml&Node=H3&Page=1

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭TheRealBoss

Don't know if clamping has happened in Portarlington, but saw three cars clamped in Portlaoise this evening ..... don't know if they had valid tickets or not but they were in a 'walking' area (where cars have been parking for years!) ...... be careful out there :mad:

they were two cars clamped in Portarlington this afternoon and a third had a sticker on it but no clamp.

They appears to be more cars parked on station road today than in the last two weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Ruby-J

smokestone what was in the paper about the roundabout at kilnacourt can ye remember? was it they were going to put in lights instead? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭undecided

re cars pasking on station rd Id say they will clamp down on it now the new sch is open

Got the information on the roundabouts, one going in at the entrance to the station and the other at the station road/ canal road junction, the third roundabout must be the one down at the Kilnacourt entrance.

The council are also considering putting in a roundabout from the kilnacourt roundabout up to the train station.

All of the above is subject to funding.

I couldnt figure out how to put the attachment I received about the roundabouts/cycle lanes etc up on the forum. If you want to send me a PM I can forward the info to you

• Advertisement

that should be a cycle lane from Kilnacourt up to the train station

I noticed this morning that at least 5 cars had windows smashed in them. I'm assuming that they were left over night?

Interesting to see will anything be done about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

No they won't do anything.

Cars are broken into the whole time. Cars are parked at the owners risk.........

At one stagr they had hidden cameras in the station.....all good until a member of staff blabbed it down town, shower of muppets:rolleyes:

Shower of muppets:rolleyes:

Totally agree with this. The laziest bunch of dossers I've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Does the training ( excuse the pun:P) take long to waive a green flag and say....."its not me, you'll have to talk to someone else":rolleyes:

or the classic..."What the **** do I look like, customer service?".

Well you are actually a public servant working in the public domain so yes Asshole you are!

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭genie_us

The blond fella who works there has to be the most ignorant person I have ever come across

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭stan1979

genie_us wrote: »
    The blond fella who works there has to be the most ignorant person I have ever come across

couldnt agree more

Advertisement