Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

farm waste managment scheme

Options
  • 08-09-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

hi there , im posting this thread on behalf of my brother who is a full time dairy farmer , btw , he can write but is usually too busy to spend his time on the internet

anyway , he made an application to build a shed under the fwm two years ago , a year ago he suffered a serious farm accident and for about six months it looked like he would not be able to continue farming in any real sense , his teagasc advosor told him he would need to withdraw his application if he didnt intend to build , he did carry out some work which cost him 28 k but the rest of the work would have cost about 150 k,
    the thing is , he made a remarkable recovery and now wishes he had not withdrawn the bulk of his application , do the department ever make exceptions for exceptional circumstances or are they completly rigid when it comes to grant aid schemes etc , he did mention it briefly to someone in the dept , a low level employee but they told him it was not possible to ressurect an application after it had been withdrawn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

bit confused as to why he needed to withdraw. I applied and simply did not go ahead due to financial reasons, but I never withdrew the application. Any point in going back to the teagasc advisor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

ravima wrote: »
    bit confused as to why he needed to withdraw. I applied and simply did not go ahead due to financial reasons, but I never withdrew the application. Any point in going back to the teagasc advisor?

his teagasc advisor told him he had to withdraw if he didnt intend to complete all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

many schemes and rules of the department allow for force majeure. Their may or may not be scope in this scheme, the hard part will be figuring out who in the department he should be talking to

JohnBoy wrote: »
    many schemes and rules of the department allow for force majeure. Their may or may not be scope in this scheme, the hard part will be figuring out who in the department he should be talking to

fingers crossed they will show some leaneancy , he tells me now that the architect who drew up the plans for his shed made a mess of it , they made the whole thing too big like for example , the passageway between two row of cubicles is ten foot where as he reckons eight would have done , the standing area where the cows stand and eat each side of the central passage way is 12 foot , my brother tells me 10 foot would have been more than adequate there
    if he is allowed build his shed , he will be happy but reckons this extra size will cost him a few thousand as every extra foot is an extra foot on each rafter accordingly
    he should have checked all this at the time but when you pay an architect well , you expect them to do the thinking , i told him that most architects never get near a cow house so you cant expect them to know how much standing are a cow needs

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I can only repeat, why did teagasc advisor tell him to withdraw? he should go back to him/her and ask why. Perhaps in writing.

Don't forget that the later scheme was closed evry quickly as the scheme ran out of mooney. there is huge demand on funds and the chances of getting back in are slim.

• Advertisement

ravima wrote: »
    I can only repeat, why did teagasc advisor tell him to withdraw? he should go back to him/her and ask why. Perhaps in writing.

Don't forget that the later scheme was closed evry quickly as the scheme ran out of mooney. there is huge demand on funds and the chances of getting back in are slim.

i cant answer that question , he told me that after having told his advisor that he wasnt planning to complete the bulk of his application , his advisor then told him that he would have to send in the completion form for the work he did do and that he had to fill out a withdrawl form for the work he didnt intend to do , i know that it was as big as sin in the depts eyes to do a smaller job than applied on so perhaps he felt the dept would see it as having built half a shed , maybe they would have considered the whole thing as one

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

Gordon, your brother should go directly to the local AES office of the Dept. and explain his situation. Did he make any payment claim for the work has has done ? If not his original approval could be still valid and even though he may have signed a withdrawl form there may be still a chance he could finish the work.
    It will probably depend on how well he knows the Dept.officials involved but most of them are reasonable guys and hopefully will try to facilitate him. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 soloeffort

can someone tell me if there are any grants currently available for turning an already built 3 bay hayshed in a slatted shed?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭gernon

soloeffort wrote: »
    can someone tell me if there are any grants currently available for turning an already built 3 bay hayshed in a slatted shed?

No there are currently no grant schemes open for applications. FWM closed in Dec 2006 and FIS closed in Oct 2007.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

soloeffort wrote: »

To be honest, there never was a grant for putting a tank into a shed from teh Dep of Ag, they always wanted 100% new builds for any grant aided work.

• Advertisement

hello again , i started this thread a good while back , i mentioned how my brother was hoping to have his FWM application resurected , having withdrawn the bulk of it earlier in the year , im pleased to report that he actually got a possitive outcome ,

the new slats are in and the structure is just up , its a big shed , 80 by 80 , however he has a slight dillemma now , he had to dig out a clay bank in order to build the shed and baschically the site is not perfectly level so thier was some site preperation which involved building a wall 8 foot below the actual ground level of the shed on one side , in other words , thier is a foundation wall on one side and extra long uprigths had to be put down , this means he now has to put in a wall on one side which extends to 14 feet , he is wondering will it be possible to shutter this wall or are pre cast walls the only option , he would perfer shutter as precast are quite expensive , he reckons thier is no way you could pour ready mix into pans 14 foot high , i suggested to him could you not ask the cement company to pump it in , i have hear myself of pumps being used on big construction jobs in dublin but never heard of them being used on farm buildings

any ideas would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

You can pump it no bother and with the slowdown you shouldnt have to pay too much extra for it as there is a lot of competition for business now

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mcflowers

14ft pans no prob, no need for a pump i presume ye mean get a lorry with a conveyor,or local farmer/contractor with teleporter, 6 metre reach would do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

What sort of pans is he thinking of using?
    What width is the wall prob an 8" or bigger pillar

There will be a lot of pressure on the bottom shutter.
    Some back of envelope calculations

14' Span
    14' High
    8" Wall

14 x 14 x .667 = 131.32 cubic feet
    Convert to metres by dividing by 35 roughly
    131.62 / 35 = 3.752 cubic metres
    assuming concrete weighs 2307.46 kgs to the metre cubed is 2.307 tonnes
    3.752 x 2.307 = 8.6 tonnes per span.

These are very rough and ready calculations but a good indication

Is it an option to do it in 2 lifts? be a bit more scaffolding and an extra couple of days but would be safer.

I worked with my brother for a couple of years building slatted tanks and silage pits and know how messy and hardship a burst is.

The key is to brace the crap out of everything and make sure there are no broken bars etc.

Wet concrete is bascially water so it doesn't like to stand up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Forgot to say if you are using a conveyor to fill the wall be sure to vibrate the wall because the head of the belt tends to separate the stone from the mix and will leave big weak patches in the wall

Advertisement