Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever read Dawkins?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

PDN wrote: »
    Really? Where would I find such people? I would be interested in talking to them, but I've never actually met anyone who held such a view.

why would you want to talk to someone is who is that uninteresting in the outside world?

why would anyone want to talk to Mariah Carey?

CDfm wrote: »
    Dawkins doesnt seem to be very popular - everybody seems to want to read something else- even Wicknight.
    Rather strange logic

By that logic a popular book is one that a person keeps reading over and over, rather than reading once or twice or even a few times, and then wanting to read something else.

Why would I continuously read Dawkins' books over and over instead of reading something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Wicknight wrote: »
    why would you want to talk to someone is who is uninteresting in the outside world?

Because, strange as this may seem to you, I find it helpful to discover what people think and why they think it. Therefore, if all these people actually do exist who think reading anything but the Bible is a waste of time, I would find it interesting to meet them.

studiorat wrote: »
    And for others it would appear time of the old testament never ended either.

And yet we have no Judaism forum on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Rather strange logic

By that logic a popular book is one that a person keeps reading over and over, rather than reading once or twice or even a few times, and then wanting to read something else.

Why would I continuously read Dawkins' books over and over instead of reading something else?
    funny that

people keep returning to the bible and reading it over and over again

some reread Viz magazines

but Dicks books

• Advertisement

Therefore, if all these people actually do exist...

Ah right, I understand now. You are questioning what I said. You want me to fail to list off these people so you can go "See ha! No one thinks reading anything other than the Bible is a waste of time. Stop misrepresenting Christianity!! TROLL!!!" ... or some such :pac:

Well, as usual PDN, you slightly miss the point of my post.

people keep returning to the bible and reading it over and over again
    True, though I'm not sure that is a good thing.
    but Dicks books
    Are you claiming that no one ever re-reads Richard Dawkins' books :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

marco_polo wrote: »
    I'd like to meet this person too. ;)
    It would be really interesting to get Mariah Carey to read, for example, The God Delusion as well.

Then, having only read that and the bible, she would be in a unique position to comment on the validity of both. Kind of like putting a humidifier and a dehumidifier in the same room to battle it out.

A very thick room, admittedly.

Ah right, I understand now. You are questioning what I said. You want me to fail to list off these people so you can go "See ha! No one thinks reading anything other than the Bible is a waste of time. Stop misrepresenting Christianity!! TROLL!!!" ... or some such :pac:

Well, as usual PDN, you slightly miss the point of my post.

Nobody mentioned trolls except you.

I wasn't saying anything about the point of your post. You made an assertion that sounded unusual to me, and I thought it would be interesting to find out who these people are.

As it is you seem to be saying that many such people don't actually exist, but that doesn't matter because you are making some other point. Therefore, I guess, it doesn't matter whether our statements are true or not - so long as they lead us to points that are true. Have you ever read Rudolf Bultmann? I think you'd like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

In fairness, I think she would also have to read one of the many God delusion rebuttals. That way there is a nice triangle of debate going on in her head.

• Advertisement

In fairness, I think she would also have to read one of the many God delusion rebuttals. That way there is a nice triangle of debate going on in her head.

Three things at once in Miriah Carey's head?

Well, I suppose there is plenty of space.

As it is you seem to be saying that many such people don't actually exist, but that doesn't matter because you are making some other point.

Define "many", and based on your definition of "many" I will re-evaluate my original throw away comment to see if it is in fact true. And if it is not true I will happily update it

Define "many", and based on your definition of "many" I will re-evaluate my original throw away comment to see if it is in fact true. And if it is not true I will happily update it

It was your comment, not mine. I will be happy to accept your definition of many. After all, in a world where a retaining wall is classed as a building then Mariah Carey could be classed as 'many'. ;)

All joking aside, if there are people who believe the Bible to be the only book worth reading then I would be interested in finding out about them. I've been writing a lot recently on the interaction between the Church and culture, so such a set of people would provide an interesting case study.

All joking aside, if there are people who believe the Bible to be the only book worth reading then I would be interested in finding out about them. I've been writing a lot recently on the interaction between the Church and culture, so such a set of people would provide an interesting case study.

Ok, what do you want to know and I will ask the ones I personally know next time I see them. You will have to ask Mariah Carey yourself.

You will have to ask Mariah Carey yourself.
    And better do it before she gets the abridged audiobook version of The God Delusion I just emailed her.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Dades wrote: »
    And better do it before she gets the abridged audiobook version of The God Delusion I just emailed her.

Ah, the abridged version...

Chapter 1 of 1

"Hello, I'm Richard Dawkins. There is no God. Good day."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭mountainyman

^^^

Well no. 'Cause there's lots of people who will have read some of his arguments for the first time.

Like I said before it's a good introduction to the subject, it introduced me to a few authors and topics I hadn't considered before.

My father listened to an audiobook of The Ancestor's Tale after reading a bit of the The God Delusion.

Actually the Selfish Gene is a probative of God (not that God needs proof).

Surely a mechanism for evolution so simple must have been defined. Of course this is mischievious but I like the idea of using dawkins' writings as part of a teleological argument.

God is not in the gaps he is everywhere.

Rather strange logic

Because those are my instructions!!!!!!!!

I found it interesting that Dawkins argues for the concept of Intelligent Design in River Out of Eden.
    The following science-fiction plot is feasible, given a technology that differs from today's only in being a little speeded up. Professor Jim Crickson has been kidnapped by an evil foreign power and forced to work in its biological-warfare labs. To save civilisation it is vitally important that he should communicate some top-secret information to the outside world, but all normal channels of communication are denied him. Except one.

"The DNA code consists of sixty-four triplet "codons," enough for a complete upper- and lower-case English alphabet plus ten numerals, a space character and a full stop or period. Professor Crickson takes a virulent influenza virus off the laboratory shelf and engineers into its genome the complete text of his message to the outside world, in perfectly formed English sentences. He repeats his message over and over again in the engineered genome, adding an easily recognisable "flag" sequence -- say, the first ten prime numbers. He then infects himself with the virus and sneezes in a room full of people.

"A wave of flu sweeps the world, and medical labs in distant lands set to work to sequence its genome in an attempt to design a vaccine. It soon becomes apparent that there is a strange repeated pattern in the genome. Alerted by the prime numbers - which cannot have arisen spontaneously - somebody tumbles to the idea of employing code-breaking techniques. From there it would be short work to read the full English text of Professor Crickson's message, sneezed around the world.

The idea is that, in studying an apparently natural phenomenon, it becomes apparent that a complex pattern occurs. It stretches the bounds of credibility to suggest that such a pattern could occur without a Designer. Therefore, by positing a Dr Crickson of the gaps, it is assumed that the good doctor has been kidnapped.

• Advertisement

Interesting indeed, PDN.

I've no problem with the concept of a designer. In fact the ID contingent annoy me for having ruined a perfectly workable phrase. Nowadays you can't really broach the subject without that association.

But it's the jump from speculating about a conceptual designer to crediting a fully-realised, benevolent human-interferer that bemuses me.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Really? Where would I find such people? I would be interested in talking to them, but I've never actually met anyone who held such a view.
    America.

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    America.

Could you be a wee bit more specific. I spend 6-8 weeks each year in the Southern United States, mostly interacting with Evangelical Christians. I've never met anyone who claimed that the Bible was the only thing worth reading.

I'm quite open to the fact that such people may exist - but where might I find them?

Ok, what do you want to know and I will ask the ones I personally know next time I see them. You will have to ask Mariah Carey yourself.
    what it is that makes Mariah Carey acceptable and Jade Goody not?

True, though I'm not sure that is a good thing.

Are you claiming that no one ever re-reads Richard Dawkins' books :confused:
    I dunno- are they available in large print?

Attractive & stupid = Acceptable
    Ugly & stupid = Unacceptable

Not very fair, but life sucks sometimes.

Acceptable for what exactly ... ? :eek:

Acceptable for what exactly ... ? :eek:
    whatever it is Atheists do together.

Jade Goody is an Atheist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

And yet we have no Judaism forum on boards.ie.

10/10!

There wouldn't be the bandwidth if those guys got discussin' theology up on here!

• Advertisement

10/10!

There wouldn't be the bandwidth if those guys got discussin' theology up on here!
    wicknight has strange objections to rasher sandwichs ands posting long answers

Advertisement