Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom BB keeps dropping when the phone is picked up

Options
  • 08-09-2008 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've googled and searched but I guess I'm either not entering the right techno-babble or my problem is unique (doubt it).

Basically the broadband here at home is Eircom, using a Netopia 3347 NWG wireless modem/router. One PC is connected by ethernet, another through a Linksys wireless adapter. There are 4 laptops that share the connection on and off throughout the day.

The house has 2 landline phones connected and another connection for the sky box and the eircom phonewatch (all on the same line/number). All the lines have those filters that eircom give you to put between the phone line and wall jack.

the problem is as follows: The internet works fine, both PCs and laptops connect without problem, however as soon as someone goes to use the house phone, the internet just dies and only picks up again a few minutes after the phone is put back on the hook.

Its a fierce annoying problem and I cant seem to get any answers. Eircom are no use and give the usual "have you tried plugging the modem into a different socket?" support. The problem persists of course.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

No ideas, but I have seen the same thing happen before with properly filtered devices. It may seem extreme but have you unplugged the phones, skybox & alarm and then tried ringing the landline?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Nope, worth a shot, i dont know about the alarm part though, eircom dont seem to like anyone touching it. Its funny that we were told we might not be able to have eircom BB when we got it a few years ago because of the phonewatch!!!

I'm pretty sure it never happened when we had the old netopia, non-wireless modem. But that might have been before we had sky plus too.

Arrghh, headaches!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Almost definitely a faulty filter issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,518 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I have the same problem and I have replaced my DSL filter, so in my case, the problem lies elsewhere. My line stats are very good (attenuation, SNR), but drop to zero as soon as a call comes in (or goes out). I also have a phonewatch alarm fitted. I have only noticed it happening since the broadband speed upgrades.

Advertisement