Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with install of os

Options
  • 08-09-2008 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

hi,
    i just built a pc and installed windows xp professional but when i restart it it comes up with a disc read error occured error at startup. i was wondering what could be wrong. thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check if the hard disk can be seen in BIOS. If not, I'd blame a loose connection. If it does, possible hard drive failure. And no, it doesn't matter if it's brand new. These things happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

the bios recognises the hard drives. i formatted the drive and reinstalled windows xp professional and still comes up with disc read error. im lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How many HDD's do you have in the system, if more than one, is the one you're installing to the master HDD? Also, is the disc read error on a blue screen, or on a black screen?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭kingofbeers

i have 2 new harddrives and the error is on a black screen. these are sata hard drives and are installed on the sata on the mobo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Pull out the motherboard manual:

Look up where in your bios the mode that SATA runs in is set, make sure its set to IDE compatible/ disable AHCI or what ever comes closest in your bios.

Windows XP not that friendly to SATA in AHCI mode unless you have your AHCI SATA controler drives on a floppy and hit F6 during setup/install of XP.

• Advertisement
Advertisement