Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Mobo question

Options
  • 08-09-2008 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

Seeminly there have been some issues with the x48 mobos and the 4870x2 line, anyone have issues themselves with this? Not really sure if I should bother with the Rampage mobo, might be overkill.

Also not 100% with the 500W psu with ati saying min is 550 and sapphire 650. Would like it to run as quite as possible. On full the 4870x2 is using around 260W.

ASUS Rampage Formula, Sockel 775, ATX, DDR2
    217,18 €

4096MB-Kit OCZ PC2-9200 Flex, CL5
    128,89 €

Sapphire HD4870X2 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-E
    407,88 €

2x Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB SATA II
    216,83 €

Logitech Z Cinéma Surround Sound System
    151,95 €

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 tray, 12MB, LGA775, 64bit
    279,60 €

Antec Sonata III, ATX, 500 Watt
    97,15 €

Sum: 1.716,31 € 1)

Comments appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You don't mention what monitor you got, a 4870X2 would be overkill on anything less than a 24' monitor.

500w psu isn't enough and wont allow for future upgrades, a good powerful psu could last through 3 builds. I'd recommend This

Drop the VelociRaptor's overpriced and not that fast. Samsung f1 sata's are what I'd recommend for storage this and this. Maybe add a solid state later for the OS as they're dropping in price.

I'd opt for a Q6600 and overclock it instead of the Q9550, would save yourself €100. Also that rams a waste and overpriced, pointless unless your going to be overclocking the quad to the maximum, its also got barbs for watercooling.

I'll put a list together for you later. Its looking like €1700 not well spent at the moment.

Edit, Here, add spekers etc to this, much better value

62851.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Telgere

Hey, thanks for the reply.

Current pc is

quad 6700
    4gig 800mhz ram
    8800gtx
    xfi elite pro (go to new sys)

2404 wfp monitor

z2300 logitech (going to work place)

Was going with the sapphire for the HDMI out (with dongle) capabilities. Not really sure will it support it tho with all the hdcp problems. (amp supports true hd etc) Would be nice not having to run optical and hdmi dvi cables from pc.

With ram etc money not really a prob, will go with what you recommend though.

Was thinking of raid 0ing a couple of samsungs but think ill just go with the raptors for ease of use. Noise is what i would be worried about here but planning on getting a few ssd's (put off by the probs people having from ocz on modding forum) in a few months time for OS.

How does the case compare? had a original sonata and liked it. Was hoping to keep the PSU wattage as low as possible but seems people are going with min 600W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Not much point upgrading the Q6700 or 4gig ram, the newer quads aren't much faster (less than 12-15%, definitely not worth it) and unless your intending overclocking beyond 400fsb (400x10 multi on Q6700 is 4Ghz) then the ram is good enough also. I'd keep these.

A m8 of mine has the 900 case, its got great airflow but is a little tight for space.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Hi, I have that case for my home server and dont think it have enough air flow for your new build.

Its a dell machine I am using atm, so overclocking options are quite limited. Going to try and sell the whole pc as a package. If I cant, will keep those parts. Thanks for the advice on the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Have the 900 my self and I think its the best case I have bought my self. Ok only bought 5 in total.

The sonata case is smaller, well the original one is.

Also when I had raptors I have to say I found them noisy.

Last point about PSU. It does not matter if you have a 1000 watt or a 450watt PSU. They will still only use the same amount of power that your system requires give or take a few watts for the efficiency of the PSU. I think some people are scared that if its labelled 1000watt then it must use more power then a 450watt. Just make sure you have enough head room for upgrades in the future when picking your PSU.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

There is an issue with X38/X48 boards.
    Depending on the manufacturer the board might not recognize both GPUs on the card and only enabled one. There is no option for crossfire in CCC for just one 4870X2 bar disabling Catalyst AI.
    What I had to do for my board below was move it to the furthest pci-e slot
    where it picked up the 2nd gpu.
    Only way I copped it was on PC vantage..check system info and under dx info check this line " dual linked graphics adapter= true".
    True is reading both GPUs, false it's only reading one.

Thanks mathew, will keep than in mind.

What is the story with items out of stock. Do they pick your items and then post them when everything has come in?

62892.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Yep..everything will be posted together.
    Some sites give you the option of posting what they have now and whatevers out of stock when it comes in.
    Komplett and overclockers do this as well but you're paying double the postage.

Advertisement