Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice on amp and speakers, please.

• 08-09-2008 6:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

hi everyone, im looking for some advice on a 5.1 speaker system plus an amp to drive them that will upscale. i always wanted the bose acoustimass 10 but have been put off them with what ive read. I am now favouring towards kef but still unsure about what amp, the room they are going is 24ft x 15ft and there wont be a lot of soft furnishings. If anybody can guide me or help me with this I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

cabbott

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 AndrewMBP

I've an Onkyo TX-SR705 and mission Cube Speakers.
    Very nice sound, HDMI, auto EQ etc. Seems future proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭cabbott

thanks for the info onyko keeps popping up on reccomendations, i presume the 705 is higher spec than the 606 which everyone seems to have. are the speakers the m cube. and where did you buy.
    thanks
    cabbott

ive just finishing purchasing, got my self mission m cubes and an onkyo 606 for €1130 with 1 hdmi lead thrown in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

I've just bought the Onyko 606 and it has plenty power for home needs. It is a little bright though so the last speakers I'd ever pair it with would be Mission of any model. You'll need something a bit more polite like Kef or JBL.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I've just bought the Onyko 606 and it has plenty power for home needs. It is a little bright though so the last speakers I'd ever pair it with would be Mission of any model. You'll need something a bit more polite like Kef or JBL.
    i was thinking origanaly thinking of bose am 10 but that was shot down in flames after reading the reviews, then it was kef but, didnt like the look of them i heard they were good though, got a good deal on the mission and most people who have them are happy so i said it give them a go. there is no where local in this country to go and hear setups and cant be bothered to treck around dublin for a day finding places to hear setups, so what do you do, the whole country has tho onkyo 606 and every one seems happy. what do you mean wher the onkyo is bit bright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

cabbott wrote: »
    i was thinking origanaly thinking of bose am 10 but that was shot down in flames after reading the reviews,
    I'd put Mission and BOSE in the same bin.
    cabbott wrote: »
    what do you mean wher the onkyo is bit bright.
    Just that... bright. Others have described them as 'harsh' but that implies an edginess they don't have. The high frequencies seem to get pushed forward as bit - not a big issues if you use sensible speakers alongside. Mission speakers are notoriously bright and I imagine if used with the Onyko would cause my ears to bleed - but I am fussy when it comes to such things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭rednik

I started looking for a system in January this year. Looked around and read a lot of av forums. I decided on the Kef HT 5005.2 system with the Onkyo 705. Went to peats and priced the system,came home spent more time on the net. In the end I travelled over to Creative Audio in Shrewsbury and bought the lot from them. I also bought the optional speaker stands.

I have the system six months and I think it is fantastic although my neighbours would disagree. The HD sound is unbelievable especially on the more recent releases on Blu-ray. I have the Sony BDP 500. The speakers do not take up much room even with the stands.

The system is not cheap but I can highly recommend it. Hope this helps you.

that sounds like thats the job and im sure it is good, but that setup would be in a different price range to what i spent, im building a house at the moment and i stretched the budget as it is, there are a lot more essential fittings yet to be installed so this will do for a good while, anyway im not a total anorack when it comes to this stuff just wanted something better than a 100 quid job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭axton1

Hi Cabbott,

If you want a compact system but much better than the bose (ugh) I would suggest an Audica dvd surround avr-1 and audica/ or Audio pro speakers. 6x 60w rms class d amp. proper hi fi 2 ch stereo mode / tuner /hdmi + upscaling / passive/active sub outs / great picture quality from player in normal dvd mode to boot.
    can give you spec sheet if u want.

Advertisement