Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ordering from USA

Options
  • 08-09-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

hey lads, i know its been covered before but i need someone who has done this to walk me through it if they can.

If you dont wanna clutter up the boards you could pm me and we could take it from there, im going full bore next year and i just will not pay the €600ish mark up on a rifle from an irish dealer!!!, no matter how awkward the guards doj might make it for me!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Newbie, not all dealers are rip off merchants, there's also a lot of other points to take into consideration ie; shipping cost(only certain carriers can transport firearms), duty and customs charges (approx 25%), fees for paper work on states side(new security measures) then there's all the paper work on this end. these are just some of the obvious points . also you're buying a gun you have not tried ( what the trigger like?) , then the number of months for it all to come together. I don't mean to rain on you're parade but its a lot to think about. IMO price around closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

fair point fish slapped sapose i didnt think of all those things just the price hike, while i realise the government taxes the bejaysus out of firearms and related articles still seems like the prices are disproportionate over here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Search the boards for Clare Gunner's thread on this.It was pretty recent two/three years ago.Basically,once you have the liscense over here,it becomes the import cert from the USA,which is now recognised by the State Dept who issue the export permits etc.You NEVER see that paperwork BTW.That is handled by the US dealer who is exporting your gun.One good point CG made,is if the gun is second hand[IE fired just ONCE toeg test fire,zero scopes etc.It is automatically second hand,and subject to a lesser import duty rate.] Plus the deal from you purchasing in the USA,to transfering to Ireland and paperwork ,should take no more than 31 days!!ALOT less than some applications over here!
    I wouldnt buy a gun EVER here in Ireland again from a dealer.With the cheap dollar at the mo,you would be nuts not to.:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Here's the thread Grizzly mentioned-
    Importing from the USA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Search the boards for Clare Gunner's thread on this.It was pretty recent two/three years ago.Basically,once you have the liscense over here,it becomes the import cert from the USA,which is now recognised by the State Dept who issue the export permits etc.You NEVER see that paperwork BTW.That is handled by the US dealer who is exporting your gun.One good point CG made,is if the gun is second hand[IE fired just ONCE toeg test fire,zero scopes etc.It is automatically second hand,and subject to a lesser import duty rate.] Plus the deal from you purchasing in the USA,to transfering to Ireland and paperwork ,should take no more than 31 days!!ALOT less than some applications over here!
    I wouldnt buy a gun EVER here in Ireland again from a dealer.With the cheap dollar at the mo,you would be nuts not to.:D:D

Customs charged me full duty/VAT on a 140 year old gun.
    I was directed to a document that listed everything that could be considered an antique and firearms weren't on the list.
    I didn't risk handing it back for appeal because I was told I could expect a long wait and "handling" damage. :mad:

• Advertisement

well i have been quoted 1600 for the rifle i want in ireland, and if i buy in the CONUS its €784, ok yeah ill have to pay a few fees and import tax/duty but thers no way it will come to 1600, and i reckon savings will be substantial enough to warrant the hassle!!

kowloon wrote: »
    Customs charged me full duty/VAT on a 140 year old gun.
    I was directed to a document that listed everything that could be considered an antique and firearms weren't on the list.
    I didn't risk handing it back for appeal because I was told I could expect a long wait and "handling" damage. :mad:

Theres your trouble right there!If it aint on the list.....Does not compute.Does not compute!Error Error!:rolleyes::).In fairness to them"antiques" is a pretty difficult subject anyway.So dealing with somthing as far out as firearms to the unknowing......
    They tried that one as well with me when I collected my gun.As I had already paid for it and preowned it.They were satisified with a "handling fee" of E50 to look in the box and be puzzled further.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

grizzly can i ask what ffl you used for your purchase??

www.etssincusa.com

Ask for Mike Knehs.He will talk you thru all the procedure.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Theres your trouble right there!If it aint on the list.....Does not compute.Does not compute!Error Error!:rolleyes::).In fairness to them"antiques" is a pretty difficult subject anyway.So dealing with somthing as far out as firearms to the unknowing......
    They tried that one as well with me when I collected my gun.As I had already paid for it and preowned it.They were satisified with a "handling fee" of E50 to look in the box and be puzzled further.:)

The date of manufacture was stamped on the receiver, it was sent by an antiques dealer (not a gun dealer) and had antique, handle with care and its date of manufacture on the box.

At the time I paid up to avoid any more trouble, but I'll not be subject to their extortion next time.

• Advertisement

As I said,if it's not on the list of what Irish customs have as down as antique items .[IE firearms].Then it is time to fleece the importer.[IE you:p].Funnily enuff they go off and contact classic car owners/dealers pretty quickly if you show up with a vintage car to get an idea of value of your import.One wonders why the Irish customs cant do the same with firearms dealers????

Advertisement