Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another pizza base post..yes again!

• 08-09-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭

So, I have making pizza bases down pat, in fact I've a bowl of dough sat on top of my telly raising as i type this!

However I'm in the horns of a dilemma :-

My pizzas are rather involved affairs with my special sauce and lots of lovely toppings. The whole production takes several hours from start to finish.

I usually make the base , then prepare the sauce while the base is raising.

The I roll out a bunch of bases. Cook them and top them and then freeze for later cooking/eating.

Now thats the problem, the base is lovely just after cooking the first time but pretty hard the second, so the first pizza is great, but the later frozen ones all have hard bases.

If i partially cook the base then put the toppings on it, will its still rise a little when being cooked for the second time? ,I'm thinking it wont?

Anyone have any pizza base tips for home freezing?
    Only way i can currently think for solving the problem is to fully cook them all with toppings and then freeze, and microwave later but thats likely to be a soggy mess I think.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Don't roll them out before freezing. Just separate the dough into balls, wrap tightly with climg-film, and freeze like that. Then, when you need them, defrost the dough balls and roll them out just before cooking.

You can also freeze the sauce in individual portions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Roll out your bases and freeze (without cooking). Freeze portion size bags of sauce. Use fresh toppings when cooking your pizza.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If you part bake the bases then you won't overcook them when you reheat them, which might give a better texture to them. The only way to tell is to experiment with different methods until you find the best way. Part baking, freezing dough balls, freezing uncooked bases etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks Nesf, that was pretty much the conclusion I arrived, I slighly undercooked the bases in the end, will have to do a taste test tonight to see how it all worked out ;)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement