Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless -> wired broadband connection

Options
  • 08-09-2008 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I want to connect a DVD player to the internet via an ethernet cable but cannot run a cable from my broadband router directly to the DVD player. Is there a wireless solution that will enable me to do this (i.e. a wireless receiver that can connect to the DVD player via an ethernet cable with no drivers required in the DVD player) ?

Apologies if this is a stupid question or I should have looked harder for an answer before posting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

Hmmmmmm...

What you could do is...

1. Get an audio/video transmitter/recevier kit like this http://www.letsautomate.com/10773.cfm

2. Buy a slingbox http://www.slingmedia.com/

3. Connect the AV sender to the DVD. Connect the AV receiver into the slingbox, via the yellow, red, white phono plugs into the slingbox

4. Connect the slingbox into your broadband box via ethernet

5. With about an hours worth of fiddling, you can broadcast your DVD player/skybox/ntl box/camcorder over the net.

The slingbox can be quite demanding on bandwidth so you will require at least a 512kbps upload speed to get decent quality on the receiving computer over the internet.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

Thanks Humax - all I really need to do is connect the DVD player to the internet to download updates to software and view online material rather than transmit video (sorry I didn't make that clear). What you suggest seems like fun though so might try this at some point.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

SidinNaas wrote: »
    Thanks Humax - all I really need to do is connect the DVD player to the internet to download updates to software and view online material rather than transmit video (sorry I didn't make that clear). What you suggest seems like fun though so might try this at some point.

Thanks again.

You say you want to connect your DVD player to the internet...??
    What model are you talking about??
    Sounds more like a dlink DSM 320rd .??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 SidinNaas

The player is a Panasonic DMP BD50 and I am not sure whether connecting it is of much use but if it is there why not try it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭u2thepale

having googled it not sure whether it of of any benefit, you might be able to get some sort of firmware updates etc..

here's what google has to say bout the use internet connectivity for the Dmp BD50.

The DMP-BD50's Ethernet terminal is a gateway for Internet connection, which paves the way to an entirely new form of movie-plus-Internet entertainment. In the future, BD-Live users will be able to participate in quizzes and challenge each other to interactive games that are linked to bonus movie content on BD discs

I used to have a dlink 320 rd but upgraded to a 520hd model. you can stream movies both hd and various other formats to your Tv either through either your pc or over the internet. The older model 320rd had an inbuilt dvd player however you can't stream HD, the newer model you can stream HD but no inbuilt dvd player!!
    If you have loads of movies on your pc is a great option and youtube content can be streamed via the software.

• Advertisement
Advertisement