Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bass Fishing in Ireland?

Options
  • 08-09-2008 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello all,

Anyone that has ever fished for sea bass anywhere in Ireland would you kindly give me information on where,what time of the year you can fish for them and any good methods for catching them. If you know of any guides, please put them in as well. It's one fish I would love to fish for and catch. I caught my very first salmon yesterday weighing 8lbs, beautiful fish. I put her back as she was a little red looking. My friend also caught one around 4lbs and he also put his back. Great sport and we felt great after doing it too.
    Please give me any information you have, I would really appreciate it. I'd love to see pictures too. Oh yeah I'm planning on fishing for them next year.

Huff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

I am by no means an expert on bass but for the last 2 years I have had a number of productive visits to Ballycotton in East Cork. On the cliff walk there is a borrene (SP?) that leads down to a set of dodgy concrete steps to the cliffs and I have fished off there and caught plenty of bass.

I originally went to catch pollock using lures and noticed bass jumping out of the water so I used a surface lure and I managed to bag a couple. The lures I use are rapala skitters. When they are taking on the surface I use normal lures and "herring" spoons that bag not only bass but pollock, mackerel and even the odd wrasse.

Oh and this year they were bitting at the end of June up to the end of August after then I dont know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Popanddrop

Advertisement