Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc 20mb is next to useless

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

349812881.png
    speedtest-1.jpg

My speeds seem fine down here in Waterford. I'm on 10meg

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I got onto Ntl yesterday, and they informed me that I have excess noise in my line.

To me that sounds like total BS, if that where the case then my cousin on the same connection living a couple of killometers away shouldn't affected. The result of the phone call is that the tech guys are on it but it may take up to 2 week to get fixed.

There troubleshooting is a joke, I have been telling people about the great NTL offers, but I will be bringing that to a very abrupt stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I'm in Waterford. 20 Megs. No probs.

350084509.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Speeds seem to be back to normal now, I'm getting 20mb again.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Vendetta

Im still getting less than 6mb no change. Anyone elses back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭DisasterIRL

I've got more stability in my line now, but the speed especially with torrents are still low

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭niallk

ROC1977 wrote: »
    you mean the cable that comes into your house then into the spliter, one goes into your digibox and the other for the modem. The one for your modem isn't fitting? Just go to maplin, homebase, etc and get the screw in connection for about 2 euro. Cut the old one off and stick the new one on. Or you can buy a new cable with the correct connections. But your cable to modem should be a screw in connection.
    Thats if we are talking about the same thing.
    Then again UPC should have done all that for you.
    I have the upc box on one side of the room with the modem and a spare socket. The TV is on other side of the room with the old socket. Interference is happening. I'd like to know if there is a "screw-in" cable I can get to connect to the tv or should they have given me one or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

niallk wrote: »
    I have the upc box on one side of the room with the modem and a spare socket. The TV is on other side of the room with the old socket. Interference is happening. I'd like to know if there is a "screw-in" cable I can get to connect to the tv or should they have given me one or what?

If I was you, ring them get them over to fix your problem. Why should you have to do it yourself. Your paying for a service which isn't working correctly. Its onw thing having speeds going up and down, but to have a crap Tv picture now thats anorther thing! lol

Your old line isn't what you want your TV connected to. Connect it with the screw in type cable to the spliter next to your modem. You can get the screw in cable anywhere.
    The old line your using is the analog line by the sounds of things. Which are rubbish, might as well be tapping in to the line with a needle like the good old days! lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

You probably need a new outlet box for better isolation on the old point or you old point could need the cable replaced. Like ROC said give them a call a get them out to fix the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

prob UPC/NTL acting up. wouldn't be the first time.
    I found that leaving the IP as dynamic and setting up my own DNS has fixed all my problems. Torrents, gaming and speeds seem fine now. Although torrents aren't going full 2.5mbps, I'm getting about 1.7mbps which I'm happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

well, just got my ntl in yesterday, but it's grand so far.

350789294.png

upload could be better, but I'll see how it is over the next few days. I tried it again later on and the download was about 17,500kb/s so not sure if that was my connection, my pc or the speedtest site causing the bottleneck.

suspect it's my crappy old pc tbh tho. :(

torrenting is working fine tho (on well seeded torrents) which was one thing i was worried about.

th_speedy.jpg

Im lucky to get 2 megs a second on a 20mb connection. I hope they know its a problem and will fix it soon.

Vendetta wrote: »
    Im lucky to get 2 megs a second on a 20mb connection. I hope they know its a problem and will fix it soon.
    And what speeds per second are you expecting to get?

Aquos76 wrote: »

Sorry should be 20 megabits download and it was tested with speedtest.net and magnet.

My speeds are still pretty stable here in Waterford. I am om the 10meg package
    speedtest2.jpg

obviously on a 20 mbs connection you expect to get 20 mbs.
    I'm in the same boat. Floating around 2/2.5 mbs plus my tv signal is gone to ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭needhelpguy

obviously on a 20 mbs connection you expect to get 20 mbs.
    I'm in the same boat. Floating around 2/2.5 mbs plus my tv signal is gone to ****e

You do realise that a 20mb connection is not actually 20mbps download? The correct download speed, in mb, equates to roughly one tenth of your connection speed. So you are actually getting the max speed for your line. At 2.5mbps it is actually excellent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You do realise that a 20mb connection is not actually 20mbps download? The correct download speed, in mb, equates to roughly one tenth of your connection speed. So you are actually getting the max speed for your line. At 2.5mbps it is actually excellent.
    You're going to confuse people here. 20Mbps is 20Mbps (megabits). It is also 2.5MBps (megabytes). If you are getting 2.5MBps then you are fine, if you are getting 2.5Mbps then there is a problem.

The point is that its 2-2.5 megabits and nowhere near the 20 megabits we have paid for.

• Advertisement

The point is that its 2-2.5 megabits and nowhere near the 20 megabits we have paid for.

Do me a favour, download part of this file and then post up the exact transfer rate you are getting and I think you will find that you are indeed getting MB/sec

I am on their 10meg package and I am getting a transfer rate of 1.2MB/sec, which is the max I could be getting from a 10meg connection.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think the point everyone is trying to make is that 2.5 Megabytes is in fact exactly 20 megabits.

There are just different ways of saying the same number.

There are 8 bits in 1 byte, so:

2.5MB/s x 8 = 20mb/s

Where MB (uppercase) means Megabyte and mb (lowercase) means megabit.

If you are getting 2.5mb/s, then you have a problem, but if you are getting 2.5MB/s then it is working perfectly and you are getting the full advertised download speed.

Who talks in megabits in relation to download speed? Obviously I am talking megabytes. At last test I am getting 2452kb/s. The highest I have gotten since it was installed last Friday was about 15000kb/s. I have yet to achieve 20mb/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

Who talks in megabits in relation to download speed? Obviously I am talking megabytes. At last test I am getting 2452kb/s. The highest I have gotten since it was installed last Friday was about 15000kb/s. I have yet to achieve 20mb/s.

just wondering...

Where did you get those 15000 kbps from?

I mean, was it downloading a file or was it from speedtest or similar site?

Do you get 2452 kbps from a speedtest site or from where?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Who talks in megabits in relation to download speed? Obviously I am talking megabytes.
    there's your problem right there.

I don't think you are talking about what you think you are.

nobody (well, nobody around here or t'internet in general (or ISP's for that matter)) refers to megabytes per second in relation to the speed of a network.

here, this might help.

Kbps kilobits per second 1,000 bits per second
    KBps Kilobytes per second 8,000 bits per second
    Mbps Megabits per second 1,000,000 bits per second
    MBps Megabytes per second 8,000,000 bits per second

Old Standard
    bit b 0 or 1
    byte B 8 bits
    kilobit kb 1000 bits
    Kilobyte (binary) KB 1024 bytes
    Kilobyte (decimal) KB 1000 bytes
    Megabit Mb 1000 kilobits
    Megabyte (binary) MB 1024 Kilobytes
    Megabyte (decimal) MB 1000 Kilobytes

unfortunately there's a new standard now which changes things slightly (just in case you weren't already confused).

IEC Standard
    bit bit 0 or 1
    byte B 8 bits
    kibibit Kibit 1024 bits
    kilobit kbit 1000 bits
    kibibyte (binary) KiB 1024 bytes
    kilobyte (decimal) kB 1000 bytes
    megabit Mbit 1000 kilobits
    mebibyte (binary) MiB 1024 kibibytes
    megabyte (decimal) MB 1000 kilobytes

although they're not all catching on as quickly as the IEC would like for some bizarre reason. :rolleyes:

stupid advertising buzzwords like 'megs' and 'gigs' that are used in relation to everything from ram & hdd sizes to network speed really don't help clear things up either.

sorry if I'm making things more confusing, but I'm just trying to illustrate that what you're talking about isn't necessarily what everyone else is talking about, there's a whole lot of room for misinterpretation and misundersanding.

here is a simple test to try.

find a file of a certain size online and download it and time how long it takes.

then once you've done that, put the file size in this little calculator yoke here and see how you measure up. http://www.numion.com/Calculators/Time.html

there's also a pretty good speed tester on the site which will most likely give you a more accurate measurement of your 'real world' connection speed than most other speed test sites will.

http://www.numion.com/YourSpeed3/index.html

let us know how you get on with that and we can take it from there once we all know we're singing from the same hymn sheet. :)

if you're talking about what we think you're talking about it's like you arguing that you only got 1m of rope when you paid for 100cm. ;)

of course the other thing to consider is what are you downloading from where?

for example, say I have a web server at home (and I do :)) and I put a file there for you to download off me. I have a 20mbps connection, but the upload is only 1.5mbps so even if my line is perfect and you've got your 20mbps connection, it's still going to download on your pc at a max speed of 1.5mbps due to the limited speed that I can upload the file to you which means the absolute fastest I can send you a 100mb file (under perfect conditions, which you'll never get anyway) is 08m38s (based on the numion estimate not taking overheads into account).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

interesting thread.

I'm living in swords and got a leaflet through the post saying i could get 20mb BB for 46 euro a month.

I currently give eircom 55 euro a month for a 2mb line. I have to say its a decent line for gaming, but downloads is horrendous, i rarely get over 150 k/bs a second.

I'm strongly considering getting upc. I know i wont get 20mb download, buts its the possability. I live close to the exchange so i generally get high speeds.

For 46 euro a month, its cheaper then what i pay for a faster service with no caps.

I generally download a heap load of stuff, play world of warcraft and surf the net. But download speed is my main concern.

What do we think folks? Should i do it?

I'm more concerned with dublin posters, helpful if near my area. A mate of mine got it in, has it gonig 6 weeks now and says its the bees kneews.

He lives 5 doors up and ive witnessed the speeds of 6-7 mb a second. (We live extremely close to exchange)

But hes not tech savvy, doesnt game, jsut downloads.

Some info would be great :) Solid reliable info aswell please. Im pretty in touch with tech stuff, and I know every provider has been having horribly lately.

Eircom isnt bad, just they are a rip off for a higher package, 250 a month for 20 mb, no thanks.

Praetor wrote: »
    just wondering...

Where did you get those 15000 kbps from?

I mean, was it downloading a file or was it from speedtest or similar site?

Do you get 2452 kbps from a speedtest site or from where?
    Yes I am getting these speeds from speedtest.net.

Yes I am getting these speeds from speedtest.net.

Have you tried downloading the file I linked to in my above post and if so, what kind of transfer rate are you getting?

Have you tried downloading the file I linked to in my above post and if so, what kind of transfer rate are you getting?
    100-150kb/s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Praetor

100-150kb/s

Then you are right... sorry but it was getting very confusing for all of us... look as if you were right, very slow speeds...

Thanks for clearing that out

Advertisement