Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc 20mb is next to useless

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Dunno what you are all talking about. Downloading from RapidShare maxes out my connection at 1.2MB/Sec every time, peak or offpeak. In Tallaght.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

:D:D
    DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    i live in the galway area and ntl has never let me down,some sites give me a d/load speed of 2.2MB/ps and others give 1.4,you will get these speeds mostly on private sites cause most of the clients there have seedboxes,most public sites give a crap d/load speed,just done a speed test and here are the results

Download Speed: 19448 kbps (2431 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 500 kbps (62.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/:D

as i said rapidshare is a private site you have to pay to go onto it...private sites faster d/load speed...public sites slower d/load speed idiot

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    i live in the galway area and ntl has never let me down,some sites give me a d/load speed of 2.2MB/ps and others give 1.4,you will get these speeds mostly on private sites cause most of the clients there have seedboxes,most public sites give a crap d/load speed,just done a speed test and here are the results

Download Speed: 19448 kbps (2431 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 500 kbps (62.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

http://speedtest.magnet.ie/:D

Thankyou for restoring my faith in humanity!

BEFORE YOU DECIDE NTL ARENT PROVIDING THE ADVERTISED BANDWIDTH.

Before you complain about poor speed on torrents or files from websites/ftp dumps please read up on ISP transit, ISP peering, Transit costs, INEX, Tier 1,2 and 3 bandwidth and NTL peering agreements. After you have done this ask if the torrent peers you are downloading from are with isps with peering agreements with ntl, if not expect throttling at peak times.If you use public trackers and expect good speed you will be dissapointed as the majority of peers are with budget isp's which charge UPC transit costs which in turn will be throttled by UPC at peak times (this is a tottaly acceptable practise in the industry).
    join a private tracker where users have servers with tier1 bandwidth (likely peered with UPC) or are with high quality ISP's with good bandwidth availability due to peering agreements..... or if you are lazy just pay for a repidshare account (majority of which hosted in .nl or swedish datacentres...Tier 1 bandwidth)
    :(

Or Scrap torrents and use Usenet, With European Server farms your laughing.

You could have 1Gb Connection but in accordance with leeched to hell torrent of TPB or something might never make it over 5Kb/s.

Torrent depends on other people uploading, which generally will never happen on public trackers.

4db13d29903721.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

does anyone know what the download speed freq is on chorus in the kildare areas by any chance ?? thanks ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ZoneAlarm wrote: »
    does anyone know what the download speed freq is on chorus in the kildare areas by any chance ?? thanks ;)

Just curious why are you requesting this info?
    This is your second post requesting this information which is not required to use broadband sold by UPC, in addition cross posting the same question to numerous threads is frowned upon

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ZoneAlarm wrote: »

They can change it any time.

The Modem has two modes:
    1) Locked to a channel
    2) Always search for a channel.

IF in Mode (1), it switches to Mode 2 till power reset if after a time out on listening for a signal.

When a signal is found the "ranging" starts where the Modem and head end establish which upstream channel and frequency to use and which downstream frequency to use (there can be as many of each as UPC aka Chorus/NTL likes depending on Spectrum and TV needs) also what upstream power is needed.

For EuroDOCSIS 1.1 or 2.0 the downstream is any 8MHz channel in 110MHz to 862MHz approx and the upstream can be 800kHz to 6,400KHz channel anywhere from 5MHz to 65MHz. (USA 15MHz to 42MHz).

There is no valid reason to know the actual channel used unless you work for UPC. Actually many Modems will have this information after completion of ranging (during normal operation) on their status screen. In addition, if you did know enough or doing something to need to know the frequency of the downstream, you could easily figure it out. Thus it's a totally pointless question.

The complete specs of DOCSIS may be downloaded free from CableLabs (who develop & maintain them).

DOCSIS 3.0 simply uses multiple downstream channels for one modem.

As UPC gets more Cable Broadband customers they will reach a point where the TV is Digital only to save space and the Analogue channels turned off, used for Modems, Digital TV or HDTV as the 8MHz analogue is only one Channel and that could be 100 Modem customers, 20 Regular channels or 4 HDTV channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

thanks for the info i was just been curious thats all but thanks for the info first time on about broadband so forgive my ignorance on this matter
    Cabaal

sorry if i posted twice as was unsure where to actually put that in as above its purely for educational purposes only so as above excuse my ignorance :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Cablelabs site and to an extent Cisco Whitepapers tell you all there is to know about Cable Broadband.

Possibly 5 operators use DOCSIS for Broadband in Ireland. (UPC ex Chorus/NTL is one obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Daithi07

Any chance you can give me a few names of these private torrent tracker sites please?

• Advertisement
Advertisement